NBC Sports Edge Forums

Cooper Kupp 2019 Outlook

6 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

This is not a breakout. Kupp was already a superstar. He'll probably be a third round pick next year because he never gets any love. 

He was even better last year. In 6 healthy games, he had 35 receptions, over 500 yards, and 6 TDs. So his pace last year was around 95 catches, 1400 yards, and 16 TDs. But yeah, he came out of nowhere....

I meant it will be a breakout season if he makes it through to his projected pace. No such thing as a "breakout 3/8 of a season". I also didn't say he came out of nowhere.

"Superstar" is related to perception. No such thing as a "superstar no one has heard of" either. If Kupp was already a superstar this past summer he wouldn't have had an ADP of 50 overall. If Kupp had made it to 1400/16 last season there's no way he's available anywhere around 50 even coming off the ACL. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

These kickers annoy me. They only get points because no one's allowed to tackle them. Hand the ball off to them in an 8 man box and see how well they do.

fixed  

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, rex_bulkhead said:

I meant it will be a breakout season if he makes it through to his projected pace. No such thing as a "breakout 3/8 of a season". I also didn't say he came out of nowhere.

"Superstar" is related to perception. No such thing as a "superstar no one has heard of" either. If Kupp was already a superstar this past summer he wouldn't have had an ADP of 50 overall. If Kupp had made it to 1400/16 last season there's no way he's available anywhere around 50 even coming off the ACL. 

My point is that his ADP was a joke and should have been 20-30 spots higher. He's the most under appreciated player in the NFL and I've been saying that since he wss drafted. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

My point is that his ADP was a joke and should have been 20-30 spots higher. He's the most under appreciated player in the NFL and I've been saying that since he wss drafted. 

There are reasons his ADP was what it was.  He was 9 months removed from ACL surgery, and Woods had broken out last year, so there were concerns that the Rams WRs would eat into each other’s production.  That coupled with signs of regression from Goff toward the end of last year, and it became pretty clear that 3 WRs weren’t going to put up top 24 numbers in this offense anymore.

Now obviously we know Kupp is the guy in that passing offense, and he looks healthy... but hindsight is 20/20, so don’t pretend there weren’t question marks coming in.

Unless something changes, he shouldn’t make it out of the 2nd round next year.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

There are reasons his ADP was what it was.  He was 9 months removed from ACL surgery, and Woods had broken out last year, so there were concerns that the Rams WRs would eat into each other’s production.  That coupled with signs of regression from Goff toward the end of last year, and it became pretty clear that 3 WRs weren’t going to put up top 24 numbers in this offense anymore.

Now obviously we know Kupp is the guy in that passing offense, and he looks healthy... but hindsight is 20/20, so don’t pretend there weren’t question marks coming in.

Unless something changes, he shouldn’t make it out of the 2nd round next year.

Some of us did see this coming from Kupp, and there was very little reason to be concerned when all the reports were that he was back to 110% health. 

Edit - The regression from Goff was because Kupp was hurt, lmao. 

Edited by ajs723
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Some of us did see this coming from Kupp, and there was very little reason to be concerned when all the reports were that he was back to 110% health. 

yeah anyone who watched the Rams last season knew Kupp is Goff's go to guy/security blanket. Rams really missed him in the SB

2 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

Everyone knew the upside, but there were also risks. It’s easy to use confirmation bias to pat yourself on the back since he has stayed healthy and had a great year, but there have been plenty of other instances where players were at “110% health”, only to get re-injured the following year.  The Rams also said Gurley was healthy during the playoffs last year, and well, we know how that is.  That’s why he was drafted where he was.  

I own Kupp, I know how good he is. But his ADP wasn’t too far off what it should have been given the question marks that were baked in.

Also, Goff had plenty of big games after Kupp got hurt last year.

• Like 2

Drafting Kupp wasn't that risky depending on when you drafted. Before the season began, there were reports he was even faster and quicker than when he was healthy.  Hard for some people to believe, but true.  If you can access the LA times article by Farmer -- the two articles below are both sourced from the LA times article, that's a really good read about Kupp.  Not too many people know he used to attend the Manning Passing Academy and was the favorite target of Peyton Manning at the camps.  Peyton Manning is a perfectionist and very demanding, you've got to be good for him to be in your corner. 

"Rams wide receiver Cooper Kupp has been the team’s best offensive player so far this season, a remarkable accomplishment considering he’s still less than a year removed from a torn ACL.

Kupp, who is second in the NFL with 388 receiving yards, used his rehab not only to repair the torn ligament, but to become a better runner. Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times reports that Kupp spent his down time studying running form and making himself a more efficient runner, and he’s now faster than he was before the injury.

“It’s a little crazy,” said Dr. Neal ElAttrache, who performed the ACL reconstruction. “We’ve never had this GPS data until the last few years, but I can tell you that’s typically not the way it goes the first year back. He’s surprising everybody.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/03/cooper-kupp-better-than-ever-after-torn-acl/

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/02/rams-cooper-kupp-peyton-eli-manning-academy-camp/

"The Rams are grateful to have Kupp back this season after he missed eight games with a torn ACL in 2018, and they’ve gotten a better version of the receiver this year, too. He told Farmer he’s running 1.5-2 mph faster now than he was before his knee injury, which is remarkable."

"As detailed in Sam Farmer’s feature story for the L.A. Times, Kupp attended the Manning Passing Academy for five years as a camper and counselor, and was a favorite of the two quarterbacks. They both wanted him running routes for them, with Peyton calling Kupp his guy.

Eli and I would argue over who got to throw to Cooper, because all of his routes were very precise,” Peyton Manning told Farmer. “He had great control of his body. You always knew where he was going, when he was going to break out or break in. For a quarterback and receiver, sometimes it takes a while to develop that timing. But he was one of those guys who right away for me and Eli the timing was easy. And of course he caught everything as well.”

Kupp attending the camp is actually what put Rams GM Les Snead onto the receiver. It was where he discovered Kupp thanks to some high praise from Peyton Manning. It caught the attention of Snead, who would go on to draft Kupp years down the road."

• Like 2

Might be looking into this too much but is anyone a bit worried about his playoff schedule (cowboys and 49ers)? Was thinking of looking like making playoffs potentially turning him into say a Godwin/Evans (lions and Texans) instead but might be looking to much into it 

On 10/29/2019 at 12:05 AM, rocket said:

Before the season began, there were reports he was even faster and quicker than when he was healthy.

If I had a dollar for every time a coach said a player was in the best shape of his life in the offseason...

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Starz12345 said:

Might be looking into this too much but is anyone a bit worried about his playoff schedule (cowboys and 49ers)? Was thinking of looking like making playoffs potentially turning him into say a Godwin/Evans (lions and Texans) instead but might be looking to much into it 

Not really too worried but it’s not ideal 

6 hours ago, Starz12345 said:

That 49ers game week 16 is the only game I'm worried about - especially considering what happened the last time these two teams faced off.  But, that is the championship game in my league and atm, I'm just focusing on making the playoffs.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Kilo said:

That 49ers game week 16 is the only game I'm worried about - especially considering what happened the last time these two teams faced off.  But, that is the championship game in my league and atm, I'm just focusing on making the playoffs.

I'm sure McVay will have a solid plan and we won't see the disaster we saw last time. Hopefully the line shores up by then too. Again, not ideal, but you're not gonna trade him if you're competing down the stretch unless you can get a great return.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, HurryupO said:

Anyone watch the game ? What happened ? Besides the Goff sucks stuff. 4 targets alone is just head scratching. 

I only watched the second half, but Goff was BAD. Made bad decisions and bad throws. Didn't have good protection, but most of it was on him.. 

16 minutes ago, RunCMC said:

Hey Cooper , Mike Evans says hello . Nice donut . Happens to the best of them , he’ll rebound next game no problem. That was all on Goff ... he was terrible 

Bears up next. You have to start him, but it doesn't feel as good as it did. 

[...]

Now I'm scared that Kupp might not register another catch this season. That's how bad Goff looked. After watching today's shiit-show, like, I literally can't even picture how another pass gets completed to him ROS. And that remaining schedule...WOOF.

[...]

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story