Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Luke Weaver 2019 Outlook


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He really busted the cutter out yesterday, so useful in his pitch mix to keep guys from guessing on FB/CH... Averaged almost 96 MPH with the heater yesterday--even touched 98, which is up a few t

Always love your pitcher breakdowns of recent starts. Good work 👍

I think best case now may be 6 weeks and he’s back, but I expect more like 8 weeks. Just my guess.

Posted Images

Hey guys I’m new here and you probably don’t value my opinion much and I could be totally wrong, but I saw this live and his arm looked really weird afterward. Also, if you watch the video of it happening with the sound, I’m pretty sure you can hear a popping sound right as he released the ball (again I could be wrong). I think he probably will be out and most likely tommy john... But I’m hoping for the best for him. I really hope I’m wrong. 

 

He really plays it down in his postgame interview like nothing is wrong but you see that all the time, so I can’t read too much into that. 

Just my two cents on the topic.

Edited by Jtampa813
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

I am just getting a horrible feeling about this.

Hopefully it's just gas.

Seriously though, and this isn't really directed towards you, but speculating about this is pointless right now.  Just have to wait for the team to release anything, which you would think would be sometime this afternoon before their game.

Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW Weaver did downplay this a good bit after the game, contributing the exit to not being able to get and stay loose in cold conditions. Manager wouldnt even commit to an MRI. That’s really best case scenario for owners right now. Of course, we’ve heard this before from other players and things ended up being much worse than they thought. One thing that’s certain is that this is going to be a waiting game now for everyone following the situation.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yceman1234 said:

FWIW Weaver did downplay this a good bit after the game, contributing the exit to not being able to get and stay loose in cold conditions. Manager wouldnt even commit to an MRI. That’s really best case scenario for owners right now. Of course, we’ve heard this before from other players and things ended up being much worse than they thought. One thing that’s certain is that this is going to be a waiting game now for everyone following the situation.

 

Means absolutely zero.  A player could get both legs snapped in half during a game and still would say he hoped to be back in there in a few days.  Why do people even take note when players say these kinds of things??

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yceman1234 said:

FWIW Weaver did downplay this a good bit after the game, contributing the exit to not being able to get and stay loose in cold conditions. Manager wouldnt even commit to an MRI. That’s really best case scenario for owners right now. Of course, we’ve heard this before from other players and things ended up being much worse than they thought. One thing that’s certain is that this is going to be a waiting game now for everyone following the situation.

 

To be fair, Glasnow downplayed it too and now he's on the 60 day IL. Weaver is likely out for awhile. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, CAT said:

 

Means absolutely zero.  A player could get both legs snapped in half during a game and still would say he hoped to be back in there in a few days.  Why do people even take note when players say these kinds of things??

Thanks for summarizing what I just said, albeit in a more graphic way..

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What a shame, he was throwing his new cutter 13% of the time and it was a true legit 3rd offering with a +1.6 value just below his +2 fastball... Just what he needed to take the next step. Sucks.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m sorry, I’m not an expert on this, but isn’t the fact that he had an MRI and was diagnosed with a forearm strain good news? Doesn’t that mean it’s not elbow/UCL related? 

I know forearm tightness if the precursor for TJS before pitchers are diagnosed. But since he was diagnosed officially with a forearm strain, I took it as him dodging a bullet. I know he’s getting a second opinion, but what are others thoughts on this?

Don’t get me wrong, I figure he will miss a significant amount of time regardless...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

I’m sorry, I’m not an expert on this, but isn’t the fact that he had an MRI and was diagnosed with a forearm strain good news? Doesn’t that mean it’s not elbow/UCL related? 

I know forearm tightness if the precursor for TJS before pitchers are diagnosed. But since he was diagnosed officially with a forearm strain, I took it as him dodging a bullet. I know he’s getting a second opinion, but what are others thoughts on this?

Don’t get me wrong, I figure he will miss a significant amount of time regardless...

I’m with you, this was probably the best case scenario. I think everyone is still just bummed out because he was finally putting it all together. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Redsfan34 said:

I’m with you, this was probably the best case scenario. I think everyone is still just bummed out because he was finally putting it all together. 

Oh yea, of course. I'm bummed, but at least in this case I am hopeful for a return this season. In the other case, he's dead.

Edited by hangin n wangin
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Oh yea, of course. I'm bummed, but at least in this case I am hopeful for a return this season. In the other case, he's dead.

I think best case now may be 6 weeks and he’s back, but I expect more like 8 weeks. Just my guess.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean, if the MRI didn't reveal a significant tear, he'll probably be back this year, but at the same time, I seldom know of people going for a second opinion when they get great news. Maybe it's the team being cautious, but I'd bet they probably learned at least something they didn't love that means a substantial absence, even if it wasn't worst case scenario. 

 

But I'm not an MD.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

I’m sorry, I’m not an expert on this, but isn’t the fact that he had an MRI and was diagnosed with a forearm strain good news? Doesn’t that mean it’s not elbow/UCL related? 

I know forearm tightness if the precursor for TJS before pitchers are diagnosed. But since he was diagnosed officially with a forearm strain, I took it as him dodging a bullet. I know he’s getting a second opinion, but what are others thoughts on this?

Don’t get me wrong, I figure he will miss a significant amount of time regardless...

I think it’s a sigh of relief if you’ve got him in dynasty or a deep keeper, that he’s not getting TJ and hopefully is fine for next year and beyond.

But in a redraft a projected 2-month absence is still close to a death sentence for his season. You’ve got to use a DL spot for half of what’s left of the year, then hope he comes back on time and quickly gets back to his previous level.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SpartyOn4 said:

I think it’s a sigh of relief if you’ve got him in dynasty or a deep keeper, that he’s not getting TJ and hopefully is fine for next year and beyond.

But in a redraft a projected 2-month absence is still close to a death sentence for his season. You’ve got to use a DL spot for half of what’s left of the year, then hope he comes back on time and quickly gets back to his previous level.

It is easier to keep him in head to head leagues especially if you have multiple IL spots

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Josean Pelota said:

Now the DBacks are supposedly trying to decide on a doctor for a second opinion. Erg. 

Yeah that is what lead to my more pessimistic dime store diagnosis...why another opinion...usually because the initial was not so hot...?

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Yeah that is what lead to my more pessimistic dime store diagnosis...why another opinion...usually because the initial was not so hot...?

Maybe. But maybe they’re just being extra cautious with him to avoid a Taquon Walker situation.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...