Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jesse Winker 2019 Outlook


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cools off?  He has like a .200 .babip. He hasnt begun to heat up.

He's had a bum shoulder since 2014! Adjusted his swing to make it work so that he could get to the show. Prospect guys always wondered why his power suddenly disappeared in the minors and that is the

Posted Images

If his name was David Jacobs he wouldn’t be anywhere near a major league diamond as a manager.  But because of nepotism and his grand father and dads good name this loser gets to be a manager.  David Bell sucks.  Looking back at his career he played under a lot of veteran stripe earners.  Lou Piniella was notorious for jerking vets.  This could be a windy road for Winker.  Buckle up.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Maybe they think there’s a thing as too much on-base percentage?

Winker Votto take too many pitches.  We need more batted ball profiles ~ cool hip new manager thinking. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Winker Votto take too many pitches.  We need more batted ball profiles ~ cool hip new manager thinking. 

#facebook....am I right here kids? *dab*

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Winker Votto take too many pitches.  We need more batted ball profiles ~ cool hip new manager thinking. 

I get your angle. Bell isn't a great manager. But, I think his thinking starts along the lines of...Scooter was a power, middle of the order bat and he needs a power, middle of the order bat like Kemp's to potentially fill the hole. The lineup gets jacked up because Iglesias must replace Scooter and be buried in the lineup so he is pressing to find some upside. Then he is probably thinking, oh well, the bottom of the order is really bad at getting on base and the leadoff guy doesn't lead off most times so let's just put a dude up there that can maybe drive in some runs for non-existent base runners. So he is just going with the highly leveraged hitters that can't get on base because it is game 3 of the season and the expectations were high so it is time to press and panic....and when you apply that logic it is flawless and it makes perfect sense. It is some version of brilliant that I am not familiar with. 

The roster construction isn't ideal because this is sort of the Matt Kemp SD Padres version 2.0, but I can't understand why you wouldn't load the top of the order with Winker/Votto as table setters, hitting Pereza as a potential second leadoff man at 9, using Schebler instead of Kemp vs. RHP, and continuing the bury Iglesias before the pitcher spot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, thezing1 said:

I get your angle. Bell isn't a great manager. But, I think his thinking starts along the lines of...Scooter was a power, middle of the order bat and he needs a power, middle of the order bat like Kemp's to potentially fill the hole. The lineup gets jacked up because Iglesias must replace Scooter and be buried in the lineup so he is pressing to find some upside. Then he is probably thinking, oh well, the bottom of the order is really bad at getting on base and the leadoff guy doesn't lead off most times so let's just put a dude up there that can maybe drive in some runs for non-existent base runners. So he is just going with the highly leveraged hitters that can't get on base because it is game 3 of the season and the expectations were high so it is time to press and panic....and when you apply that logic it is flawless and it makes perfect sense. It is some version of brilliant that I am not familiar with. 

The roster construction isn't ideal because this is sort of the Matt Kemp SD Padres version 2.0, but I can't understand why you wouldn't load the top of the order with Winker/Votto as table setters, hitting Pereza as a potential second leadoff man at 9, using Schebler instead of Kemp vs. RHP, and continuing the bury Iglesias before the pitcher spot.

IMO Puig and Winker should be off limits.  Schebler - Kemp should platoon.  I get Kemp has done a lot in his career and deserves a shot to play, it’s not ideal by any means.  But Winker should literally never sit vs RHP.  What the heck has Scott Schebler done in this league to be off limits?  

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

IMO Puig and Winker should be off limits.  Schebler - Kemp should platoon.  I get Kemp has done a lot in his career and deserves a shot to play, it’s not ideal by any means.  But Winker should literally never sit vs RHP.  What the heck has Scott Schebler done in this league to be off limits?  

Yea, we are in 100% agreement. The beauty of this is that the expectations are high, the division is competitive/loaded, and that means it will implode like SD circa 2016 and we will have a new manager in the summer. Scooter was probably the 1 player they could least afford to lose. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

IMO Puig and Winker should be off limits.  Schebler - Kemp should platoon.  I get Kemp has done a lot in his career and deserves a shot to play, it’s not ideal by any means.  But Winker should literally never sit vs RHP.  What the heck has Scott Schebler done in this league to be off limits?  

 

Maybe Bell's just giving Kemp and/or Schebler the chance to fail miserably so he can justifty stapling them to the bench the rest of the year and play Winker full time.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

What is it with some of these managers that prefer not to play their good players? Roberts in LA is clueless with his lineup construction, Bell thinks Winker isn’t one of his best hitters lol, Twins not playing Astudillo over the other trash they have at C. Just a few examples..

 

I can’t remember a time when there was this much poor, head scratching managing around baseball.

Edited by ThreadKiller
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

12 hours ago, Donniebaseball23 said:

May have a very slow start to the year, with the shoulder surgery 

As a Reds fan I was happy to see them spend some $ and look to compete this year - but not at the cost of developing up and coming players like Winker!  No way he should be sitting this uch...the shoulder surgery is even more reason to give him the ABs early - get his groove goin.....awful job by Reds mgr so far...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If his shoulder isn't healthy enough to get everyday ABs then he should be on the shelf and get a rehab assignment when he is healthy. If his shoulder isn't healthy he shouldn't have played in ST. 

Maybe we are just giving Winker too much benefit of the doubt. Maybe Kemp deserves to burn through his leash before they try Winker. Maybe we as a fantasy community overvalue what we think Winker is at this point compared to his track record at the MLB level. Maybe we assume Kemp is inferior but the manager needs to have that proven before he gives Winker ABs. Winker only has about 475 MLB at bats across 2 seasons...granted, they were productive, but maybe that isn't enough to trump Kemp's track record out of the gate. Just thoughts to see this situation from a different angle instead of being frustrated by it. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thezing1 said:

If his shoulder isn't healthy enough to get everyday ABs then he should be on the shelf and get a rehab assignment when he is healthy. If his shoulder isn't healthy he shouldn't have played in ST. 

Maybe we are just giving Winker too much benefit of the doubt. Maybe Kemp deserves to burn through his leash before they try Winker. Maybe we as a fantasy community overvalue what we think Winker is at this point compared to his track record at the MLB level. Maybe we assume Kemp is inferior but the manager needs to have that proven before he gives Winker ABs. Winker only has about 475 MLB at bats across 2 seasons...granted, they were productive, but maybe that isn't enough to trump Kemp's track record out of the gate. Just thoughts to see this situation from a different angle instead of being frustrated by it. 

Great stuff.....yet I feel like I just broke something and my Dad yelled at me that someone has to pay for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Donniebaseball23 said:

Kemp to the Indians seems so obvious

except for the 20 million of course

Don't want to sidetrack this, but the Indians have cargo working into form and that is comparable upside for a fraction of the cost. I doubt we see them with kemp anytime soon. I doubt we see the reds deal depth until they know what they have in winker and senzel and things settle a bit. I think we are at least a month away from a kemp move, if not longer. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ThreadKiller said:

When was the last time (if ever) the Reds had a competent manager? There's no logical reason why Winker isn't an every day player right now on this team.

Maybe he just sucks? 0 for 11 in games he's started so far. Yes it's early. Yes I'm losing patience. How long is everyone holding him for? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...