NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jesse Winker 2019 Outlook

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cools off?  He has like a .200 .babip. He hasnt begun to heat up.

He's had a bum shoulder since 2014! Adjusted his swing to make it work so that he could get to the show. Prospect guys always wondered why his power suddenly disappeared in the minors and that is the

Posted Images

I've really never bought into the hype train on Winker. He's the classic guy who is a much better real life baseball player than a fantasy player. He won't hit for power. He won't get SBs. His upside is good batting average and possibly runs if he bats at the top of the lineup. That's it. What that amounts to for fantasy purposes is a back end filler bat who will help in average and is useful if you get him CHEAP. 

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, nittanychris said:

I've really never bought into the hype train on Winker. He's the classic guy who is a much better real life baseball player than a fantasy player. He won't hit for power. He won't get SBs. His upside is good batting average and possibly runs if he bats at the top of the lineup. That's it. What that amounts to for fantasy purposes is a back end filler bat who will help in average and is useful if you get him CHEAP. 

Always pay attention to guys with good plate discipline (49 BB to 46 K last year) who start developing a power swing. Winker has been irrelevant so far, but with the 2 homers he hit recently, if he can give you 15 homers, 70 RBI and .300 batting average at the top of the Reds lineup, that's incredibly valuable.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, nittanychris said:

Why can't he hit for power? He's had a bum shoulder for years and is finally healthy. 

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, SkinsNoles21 said:

Why can't he hit for power? He's had a bum shoulder for years and is finally healthy. 

His entire minor league and professional track record shows a lack of power. He is a very good contact hitter who will hit for average. Very helpful in real life, but in Roto Fantasy Baseball? Mediocre. 

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

Always pay attention to guys with good plate discipline (49 BB to 46 K last year) who start developing a power swing. Winker has been irrelevant so far, but with the 2 homers he hit recently, if he can give you 15 homers, 70 RBI and .300 batting average at the top of the Reds lineup, that's incredibly valuable.

I'd suggest that "incredibly valuable" is overstating it. It depends on format. I'm in a 10 team, Mixed League, standard 5x5 Roto leaguewith only 4 OFs.  15 HRs and .300 avg is barely rosterable in that format. 

Edited by nittanychris
1 hour ago, nittanychris said:

if you play in a league that uses OBP and/or OPS as a cat then you may view him in a better light

• Like 1
1 minute ago, nittanychris said:

I'd suggest that "incredibly valuable" is overstating it. It depends on format. I'm in a 10 team, Mixed League, standard 5x5 Roto league. 15 HRs and .300 avg is barely rosterable in that format. 

Agree that it depends on format. In my 12-team mixed, we start 5 OF and 2 UT (30-man rosters), and if you can get a Winker type as your OF5 or UT2 who will can hit .300-90-15-70, that has a lot of value...especially when you look around and see some of the dregs other guys are having to roster as their OF5. 

45 minutes ago, nittanychris said:

Steamer has him projected for 15 HR, 61 RBI, 70 Runs, 3 SBs and .284 average. I realize Steamer is conservative, but still, that's not exciting in the least. 

Exciting? No, of course not. Useful and valuable in a league with 5 OFs? Absolutely. Some guys prefer to use that OF5 slot to play for upside, but there is just as much a chance to bust when you're trying to play upside potential. Some prefer to use that OF5 slot on someone safe who will not hurt the offense and provide a nice baseline. If Winker produced .284-70-15-61-3, that would count in my book, especially when your league is starting 60 OFs and 24 UTs. I'll take that line out of my OF5 or UT2 all day long. 

But again, we're talking format, so his value really does depend on what you play.

If you average out the conservative 14 and the aggressive 24 you get 19 taters. He could lead the NL in runs. So go ahead and hate because 110--18-70-0-300 at 200 plays in every format. And even more so in obp

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, jb_power said:

and Winker went deep again this evening.  that's 3 HR over his last 4 games

Drink the koolaide friend, he's a top 100 player. Not kidding. He's on 2 of my 3 teams. He hits in front of Votto Suarez and Puig in a HR park with a 400 obp. If you drafted him for runs or avg/obp you won't be disappointed. When he chips in 22 bombs... Well where you drafted him... It won't win the league but it's certainly a helping hand

4 minutes ago, disasterisk said:

No he couldn't. 

You are absolutely wrong. A 400 obp in a HR park with Votto SuareZ Puig behind him... Who you gonna counter with? Blackmon? Bryant? Yelich? Cut h? He's top 10 runs NL at the least. I GUARANTEE it, barring injury. You could do worse at 200

1 minute ago, dkrocka said:

You are absolutely wrong. A 400 obp in a HR park with Votto SuareZ Puig behind him... Who you gonna counter with? Blackmon? Bryant? Yelich? Cut h? He's top 10 runs NL at the least. I GUARANTEE it, barring injury. You could do worse at 200

I'm not absolutely wrong. He has zero chance of leading the NL in runs. Worry more about him securing a role as an everyday starter first. 

3 minutes ago, disasterisk said:

I'm not absolutely wrong. He has zero chance of leading the NL in runs. Worry more about him securing a role as an everyday starter first. 

correct. crowded OF. PT is an issue.

Edited by cornerback
20 minutes ago, disasterisk said:

He’ll be in the top-20 in runs scored 

You do realize that Winker was the frontrunner for ROY before Acuna got called up right? You're worried about playing time? Puig and Winker need not worry about playing time. Its Schebler and Kemp that are battling. When you realize that Winker is the Reds future, youll know what a silly argument PT is. You need to invest in talent, the rest sorts itself out. The only bet you could make is that Winker sits against lefties... which would be counter-intuitive to his development as the future of the Reds...

Winker is a LOCK for 100 runs, and if the Reds management has half a brain he'll flirt with 120

Winker has started in 9 of 12 games. Winker came off the bench for the first two. In other words, he's started 9 of the past 10 games, But yeah, keep worry about PT

Edited by dkrocka
  • Haha 1

I do worry about PT once Senzel is ready to go.  Winker, Puig, Kemp, Schebler, and Senzel is 5 guys for 3 spots.  It means a lot of platooning potentially.  Of course this might not be a season long issue since the Reds are not contending right now and could be moving a lot of parts come summer.  Still the bat is intriguing.  If you have the roster spot, or need the OFer, pick up now and worry about PT later.  I have to decide on dropping Choo for him as he is on waivers in one of my 5x5 12 teamers.  Choo leads off too, only in the AL which means a better opportunity for PT with the DH & RBI since the pitcher isn't hitting 9th.