NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jesse Winker 2019 Outlook

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cools off?  He has like a .200 .babip. He hasnt begun to heat up.

He's had a bum shoulder since 2014! Adjusted his swing to make it work so that he could get to the show. Prospect guys always wondered why his power suddenly disappeared in the minors and that is the

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Bill Blazejowski said:

Faces a lot of lefties next week.  Should be interesting to see if he starts against most of them.  

very likely to sit vs LHP SPs.  career OPS vs LHP is .604 and vs RHP is .897 and the Reds have an abundance of OF options.

13 hours ago, dkrocka said:

You do realize that Winker was the frontrunner for ROY before Acuna got called up right? You're worried about playing time? Puig and Winker need not worry about playing time. Its Schebler and Kemp that are battling. When you realize that Winker is the Reds future, youll know what a silly argument PT is. You need to invest in talent, the rest sorts itself out. The only bet you could make is that Winker sits against lefties... which would be counter-intuitive to his development as the future of the Reds...

Winker is a LOCK for 100 runs, and if the Reds management has half a brain he'll flirt with 120

Winker has started in 9 of 12 games. Winker came off the bench for the first two. In other words, he's started 9 of the past 10 games, But yeah, keep worry about PT

He was also scheduled to sit for the game where Puig first started serving his suspension. Is 8 games started out of 12 team games played a full time everyday player? No, it isn't. Could he become an every day starter? Sure, but we can only go on what we've seen so far, which clearly shows Winker in a timeshare. Also if you are so confident in the player leading the league in runs scored you might want to let his team know that they should start producing some, because they are currently bottom 5 in overall runs scored.  

On 4/13/2019 at 1:44 PM, nittanychris said:

His entire minor league and professional track record shows a lack of power. He is a very good contact hitter who will hit for average. Very helpful in real life, but in Roto Fantasy Baseball? Mediocre. 

Just hit his 4th oppo shot in 5 games but yeah, he’s got no power...

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, JaeTM said:

Minor league track record doesn't really give us much in regards to power. We've seen too many players that weren't considered "power" hitters come up and start hitting the long ball. 

Glad I hung on. 

I heard on “sleeper and the bust”  that an increase in power at the major league level can be attributed to many things.  Amongst these are increased strength as players age,or put on muscle.  They also said something about brighter lights and how it’s easier to see the rotation of the ball (seriously).  Also increased pitch speed leads to increased exit velocity.  Combine this with the possibility that Winker could be hopping aboard the launch angle train and has finally had that shoulder surgery and you at he very least have a reason to be optimistic.

4 minutes ago, UberRebel said:

Hoping the power breakout is real, since everything else in his game (AVG, OBP) is solid. But his FB% so far doesn’t make me optimistic. He’s still hitting FBs at the same clip

GB % is ten points below his career averages tho

• Like 2
On 4/13/2019 at 1:44 PM, nittanychris said:

His entire minor league and professional track record shows a lack of power. He is a very good contact hitter who will hit for average. Very helpful in real life, but in Roto Fantasy Baseball? Mediocre. 

😂 

• Haha 1
40 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

I believe he gets 3 LHP's to close out the week so keep that in mind.  It should be a good test to see hw committed the Reds are to playing him everyday.

and a LHP at the beginning of the week also. in weekly leagues, he's probably an easy sit with 4 of 7 games coming against LHP. obviously, it depends on the other options you have available... 

• Like 1

Winker over past 5 games:

7-4-8-0-.388

3:3 K:BB

7/18 H/AB

It's fine that your worried about playing time. I'm not, he's a huge part of their(Reds) future. Nor am I worried about the Reds slow start which is pretty much team-wide.

He's a little nugget of information:

His career in 444 AB's:

66-18-66-288-386

Those are strong numbers for a rookie with a bad shoulder which he had surgery to fix over offseason

Bell said he was gonna get him 500 at bats... which sounds to me like he sits against tough lefties... But not the mediocre ones. People thinking he might hit 10-15 home runs. Nah, man its at least 20.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, tommyGunZ said:

Tough to sit a guy who has been a top 30 overall player the last 7 days.  He’s on fire.  

But they did just that as it's Kemp, Schebler, and Puig in the OF tonight....

This week should be telling.  Why do I get the feeling he's going to sit against all four lefties?  I bet he sits at least 3 of those games. For an average week (lets say 6 games total, 2 against lefties) if he sits those 2 games you can't really start him that week.  In a daily lineup league this guy would be money in the bank though.

5 minutes ago, Bill Blazejowski said:

This week should be telling.  Why do I get the feeling he's going to sit against all four lefties?  I bet he sits at least 3 of those games. For an average week (lets say 6 games total, 2 against lefties) if he sits those 2 games you can't really start him that week.  In a daily lineup league this guy would be money in the bank though.

Even if is manager starts him against a lefty,are any of you owners?

2 hours ago, merlin401 said:

Down to a league worst .119 Babip which seems almost impossibly unlucky for a month of full time at bats 

To add to this, he's upped his Hard Contact and lowered his Soft Contact

image.png.89c52c7ab6d8de77764a75f5f267494a.png

His LD% is 25%! Makes no sense. Buy if you still can 

image.png.1db40ac77890a713239bc005494811af.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1