NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ozzie Albies 2019 Outlook

2 minutes ago, Letitbe793 said:

Regular watching Braves fan here. Left-handed swing looks MUCH better this season. He totally lost it second-half last year. Also showing improved plate discipline thus far and going to be leading off vs lefties. 😎

Makes me feel good about hearing this. I own him in a dynasty. I am a little nervous after the 2nd half fall off.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m not concerned about the second half split, but that’s more because I think there’s a much more viable split that is actually a reason for at least short term concern, and that’s his numbers v RHP.

June splits: 1.122 OPS, 182 WRC, 3 HR, 8 BB, 1 SB

Posted Images

I didn't think a player contract could get worse than the one Acuna signed. It took a week and now Albies' contract is the worst contract I have ever seen a player sign. I don't even know where to begin. These agents are not advising their clients in good faith. 

• Like 1

Pretty soon, the era of huge FA contracts will be over: all the teams will have their players signed cheaply until they’re about 32 or so, and anyone over that age will get table scraps

7 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Pretty soon, the era of huge FA contracts will be over: all the teams will have their players signed cheaply until they’re about 32 or so, and anyone over that age will get table scraps

Something is going to change. Could be a strike. Could be a massive upheaval in the union. I don't know what, but this can't continue. This agent should be fired immediately, but at the very least their client list stops growing as of today. Very soon players will start being more vocal about their displeasure about the current actions within the union. 

I could see the Acuna angle, although I was very opposed to that contract and said it was the worst contract I can ever remember a player signing. If Acuna signed for roughly 50 cents on the dollar Ozzie basically went for 15 to 20ish cents on the dollar. Speed is/should be a component of his game that just won't be worth paying for in the free agent market when he gets there in his 30's when it is in sharp decline. This is almost to the point where the Braves kind of look bad doing this deal at this low of a number. No one gets the good vibes from this deal. 

I am going to put 85-95% of the blame of this stuff on the agent. I just don't have the words to describe how bad I think this is for the game. The only way this is good for the game is if fans realize lower prices at the stadiums...and that just isn't going to happen. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Agent malpractice about the only possible explanation. And the Braves look awful for preying on it. 

Welp, one way to ensure you never get another shot at getting paid a commission is doing these deals. These agents are one and done. They might as well hang up those law degrees because they are never getting another high end client. Thanks for sharing. 

wtf that's the worst contract I've seen in my life.  I remember McCutchen signing a very team friendly extension with the Pirates and thinking it couldn't get much worse than that.  This one blows it out of the water.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MrBrown said:

wtf that's the worst contract I've seen in my life.  I remember McCutchen signing a very team friendly extension with the Pirates and thinking it couldn't get much worse than that.  This one blows it out of the water.

Whoever is his agent, players need to stay away.

2 hours ago, thezing1 said:

I didn't think a player contract could get worse than the one Acuna signed. It took a week and now Albies' contract is the worst contract I have ever seen a player sign. I don't even know where to begin. These agents are not advising their clients in good faith. 

The more likely scenario is that the agents know something or several somethings that the public currently does not know. And this is the only scenario that makes sense regarding all of these recent contract extensions. 

9 minutes ago, Sonny_D said:

Guaranteed money. Mine as well fake injury here on out Ozzie and stick it back to those dirty bastards. That, or just play like **** man. 

He already started. 0-5. 

Edited by Members_Only_76
6 hours ago, disasterisk said:

The more likely scenario is that the agents know something or several somethings that the public currently does not know. And this is the only scenario that makes sense regarding all of these recent contract extensions. 

Like what?

7 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Like what?

Like they are about to lose their clients and therefore their commission if they wait long enough...would be my opinion.  Basically greed and a cash-out.

• Like 1

I know people are complaining about the contract - and overall in the system I get it - but, $20+ million guaranteed!  You play a game for a few years and can retire! Not to mention other sources of income.  Albies could also decline to sign, get injured, end up being a flash in the pan, I mean - unless you already have millions to retire on, I'd be STOKED!!

8 hours ago, jahweedum said:

I know people are complaining about the contract - and overall in the system I get it - but, $20+ million guaranteed!  You play a game for a few years and can retire! Not to mention other sources of income.  Albies could also decline to sign, get injured, end up being a flash in the pan, I mean - unless you already have millions to retire on, I'd be STOKED!!

Bruh, that’s not the point. I’m all for security but look at the comparable team friendly contracts given out recently. I realize projections are just that, projections. But that’s what teams are looking at when offering these players “security”. Look at Zips 7-10 year forecast for Ozzie. 

His agent should be jailed for 9 years, the length of Ozzie’s contract. The Braves organization should donate $250 million TODAY to Ozzie’s charity of choice, the amount Ozzie is due over the next 9 years. And Ozzie? Well, Ozzie should get ***** slapped once a day for the next 9 years as a daily reminder of just how stupid he was for signing that dumb contract. 

Edited by Sonny_D

Owners have been signing aggressively stupid contracts for many years.  It will take more of these before the every Albert Pujols contract gets balanced by an Ozzie Albies contract.  Next labor agreement needs to strike a better balance between the FA insanity of former years and the current trend.

Focusing on Albies, as a Braves fan I am thrilled he will be there for years to come but I do feel bad for him.  I'm surprised the Braves didn't put a bigger number out there just to reduce the future resentment he will have for this deal.  Unless he flops, he could be the next Scottie Pippen super pissed about his under market deal for years.  I guess the Braves might say that is a good thing but there is a better balance to strike, imo.

I'm conflicted w/ both of these recent contracts. Acuna just got $120 million guaranteed! That last word is important, regardless of it being below his "perceived" value going forward. 

As for Ozzie, I must admit my chin fell to the floor and my heart ached a little when I saw the amount. These guys are the new core of my lifelong team and I'm elated to see they will remain Braves for a long time, but 35 Million??? ( 5 million a year over the next seven years?) I too feel his agent sold him waaaaay short, but like Acuna, it's GUARANTEED. 

The Braves are beyond loaded w/ future studs to internally fill any holes on the MLB roster, they are primed to win championships for many years, and maybe these deals are apart of a bigger "for the greater good" philosophy the brass has gotten the team to buy into? We don't know what goes on behind the scenes. Maybe Acuna and Ozzie made a BFF pact that rings are more important than dollars, and they are willing to do whatever to attain that goal? 

Back to Ozzie though, it's possible that the new norm could be similar to Carpenter's new deal. It's possible that the Braves brass has simply said look, we will front load these next few years so you can buy the house, cars, and live comfortably... but when your play dictates, we will tear up the old deal and renegotiate. It's not normal, but it's not illegal or unheard of either. Granted, the player carries the risk much more that ownership, and you'd have too 110% believe in ownership's integrity, but the Braves ex and current players have always raved about being treated well in the ATL... regardless of who's owned the team. Foolish...? Yes. But time will tell what the angle is/was for both sides.

In reality as a fan, what the hell do I care? Not my money, but my boys are going to stay together and make free agent signings more alluring. Guys always prefer going to a contender that's loaded w/ talent, and not all FA studs prefer the bright lights of NY or LA. The Braves could become the low key alternative to the immense pressure of the big market media. 

The issues with the deal are the values of the options really, as well as there being no escalators for performance that would bump the remaining years up.  The length is a problem too, but if the year 7, 8, and 9 options were for big dollars (not $7 million which will be peanuts in 2024+) like $15 or $20 million with those same $4 million buyouts, it wouldn't be so bad.  Or if there were incentives baked in that added compounding dollars to the remaining years, like an allstar selection adding a $500k bonus for that year, and each year that remained, the risk reward would be better.  I don't begrudge players for taking early security.  I do think that when doing so the option years have to be more representitive of league value closer to that of a premium performer.  That's a way for the player to thwart risk.

• 3 weeks later...

Really loving the ROI for this guy so far. There was a lot of talk before the drafts that he only had the one good month last year, so I hope that isn't the same issue this year.

Edited by kwelch
  • Like 1

I've been selling high as I think he's outperformed his expected production (i.e. extended hot start to the season).  Not saying you should too, but if you're inclined to do so now is the time while the market is bullish.

Alternatively, he could fully break out and prove to be a top-40 player, which I don't think will surprise most people. 

• 3 weeks later...

Dude has been slumping this whole month and I might buy low on him as 2B is extremely thin. Sure wish he would just bat right handed 24/7 though. These splits are regressing, if anything.I need steals, he is young, and i might have to jump on the wagon.