NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ozzie Albies 2019 Outlook

There’s no question that he’s been a bum this season - a weighted runs created figure of 92 says it all.  He can barely hold Dansby Swanson’s jock strap at this point, and that’s scary.  But if he catches fire?  It’s gonna be insane.  Nobody wants to see Atlanta’s lineup as is with Acuna, Freeman, Riley, etc.

Hitting 7th or 8th is pretty weak, though.  I’d rather he hit 9th with Acuna on deck.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m not concerned about the second half split, but that’s more because I think there’s a much more viable split that is actually a reason for at least short term concern, and that’s his numbers v RHP.

June splits: 1.122 OPS, 182 WRC, 3 HR, 8 BB, 1 SB

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Tarheels_2433 said:

I saw this tweet this morning, it's still early, but maybe time to think about giving up switch hitting?

I'd like to see the # of AB's that coincide with the averages...

4 hours ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

But if he catches fire?  It’s gonna be insane

Ya but you can say the same exact thing about literally every single player, including all the bums on the wire.

"If he starts hitting he's gonna hit!!!"

7 minutes ago, cs3 said:

Ya but you can say the same exact thing about literally every single player, including all the bums on the wire.

"If he starts hitting he's gonna hit!!!"

Yes, but this Braves lineup is looking like one of the best in the league, and Ozzie has quite a bit of upside in all 5 categories.  He’s not comparable to some random bum on the wire imo.  Currently, he’s just playing like one.  

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

Yes, but this Braves lineup is looking like one of the best in the league, and Ozzie has quite a bit of upside in all 5 categories.  He’s not comparable to some random bum on the wire imo.  Currently, he’s just playing like one.  

I definitely like his outlook in dynasty/keeper leagues. This braves lineup has the makings of being a force for a long time.

14 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I'd like to see the # of AB's that coincide with the averages...

Good question that I was curious to as well.

image.png.28c700b1c9c10ec06e2373e722885720.png

As you may have guessed, much more against RHP than LHP.  I wonder if these trends continue if he may think about giving up the switch hitting and just batting from the right side full time (clearly, he's much better from that side).  Again, it's early (both in the season and his career), but this was interesting nonetheless.

Edited by Tarheels_2433
  • Like 1

Both last season and this year he isn't hitting RHP pitching well it seems. 

2018 vs RHP 451 ABs just 104 Hs .231 AVG and vs LHP 188 ABs 63 Hs .357 AVG
2019 vs RHP 169 ABs only 39  Hs .231 AVG and vs  LHP  33 ABs 20 Hs .364 AVG

Considering the bulk of his ABs will be against RHP that's very concerning. Pretty decent sample size in the bigs so far, not sure like some of you mentioned if he needs to abandon switch hitting or simply improve against RHP in general. 

Edited by tonywow

Well...certainly in theory...  Batting 8th isn't ideal for it, though.  Either the pitcher will attempt to sacrifice him over, or if there are 2 outs you don't risk a CS and having the pitcher lead off the next inning.

4 minutes ago, slowride said:

Well...certainly in theory...  Batting 8th isn't ideal for it, though.  Either the pitcher will attempt to sacrifice him over, or if there are 2 outs you don't risk a CS and having the pitcher lead off the next inning.

f--- theory. I want bags!

• Haha 1

It feels like he started the year pretty hot... Hasn't done much of anything lately. I did not follow him much last season, but has he always been this streaky?

I did know about the rhp/lhp splits. They're kind of scary.

Edited by nlm
13 minutes ago, nlm said:

It feels like he started the year pretty hot... Hasn't done much of anything lately. I did not follow him much last season, but has he always been this streaky?

I did know about the rhp/lhp splits. They're kind of scary.

Started out the same way last year.  Only difference is he cooled off much sooner this year 

When did he sign his contract?  April 12ish?  Probably took a week or two to digest the thinkpieces and realize that he had probably the worst agent in baseball representing him ... hmmm ... 

These guys aren't robots.  Maybe when he realized the Braves didn't even bother to lube up first it affected him mentally.

Edited by Overlord
6 hours ago, Overlord said:

When did he sign his contract?  April 12ish?  Probably took a week or two to digest the thinkpieces and realize that he had probably the worst agent in baseball representing him ... hmmm ... 

These guys aren't robots.  Maybe when he realized the Braves didn't even bother to lube up first it affected him mentally.

true about his contract. early 20s and being a pretty well proven player means they will wait until he is 29 and if he met expectations they will give him 10yr/300 million.

• Like 1

I read about being careful about drafting him because of his horrendous plate discipline and splits, which led to his OBP being what it was. Got teased by the bags and could resist. If he’s not stealing bags, I do not like him. That’s the main reason I got him. The bags. So give me bags. 

On 5/29/2019 at 2:38 AM, tonywow said:

Both last season and this year he isn't hitting RHP pitching well it seems. 

2018 vs RHP 451 ABs just 104 Hs .231 AVG and vs LHP 188 ABs 63 Hs .357 AVG
2019 vs RHP 169 ABs only 39  Hs .231 AVG and vs  LHP  33 ABs 20 Hs .364 AVG

Considering the bulk of his ABs will be against RHP that's very concerning. Pretty decent sample size in the bigs so far, not sure like some of you mentioned if he needs to abandon switch hitting or simply improve against RHP in general. 

He's still way to young to give up on his left handed swing. He's been challenged his whole career facing pitchers who are older then him since he was 17. Not even worth discussing until years later. He and the Braves need an off-season where they focus a ton on just his left handed swing. 

23 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

He's still way to young to give up on his left handed swing. He's been challenged his whole career facing pitchers who are older then him since he was 17. Not even worth discussing until years later. He and the Braves need an off-season where they focus a ton on just his left handed swing. 

I agree in real life certainly.  However for those in fantasy who drafted with high hope's being in a good ATL lineup, or only remembering his hot first half last year and not his lousy second half is a different scenario. 

It's good to know for those who haven't looked into his splits how poorly he's been against RHP. In redraft you could include him in a trade offer if one can't be patient. In a keeper/dynasty an owner has to really think how patient they are willing to be and if the possible pay off would be worth it. It's a tough spot to be in for owners really counting on him, especially deep leagues if they have no alternative options. 

35 minutes ago, wahoos1 said:

This guy has been terrible lately, hitting in the 7 spot, not running, hard to have any trust right now, just holding a bench spot 🤨.

Hot streaks: automatic start

Cold streaks: start vs. lefties

Acuna thrives hitting leadoff and Dansby is holding down the 2 hole.  Freddie isn't moving from 3.  Donaldson/Riley/Markakis aren't moving from 4-6 in w/e order; so even a hot streak probably won't see him move up in the order unless Dansby goes ice cold.