• 2 months later...
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another Bomb     

The 6-7 thing is more important than the super 2 discount in year 7 was my point. I really think it’s overblown except for the cheapest of teams.    As to where he plays. I will keep this simpl

First Bomb in Triple A    

Posted Images

If you haven't already grabbed Jarred Kelenic in your dynasty league, you're slacking. Kid is the next big thing.

Consider what Keith Law wrote about him in the pre-season (when he had him ranked as the 38th best prospect in baseball):

---

38. Jarred Kelenic, CF, Seattle Mariners
Bats: L | Throws: L
6-foot-1 | 196 pounds
Top level: Rookie | 2018 rank: Ineligible

Kelenic became the highest-drafted player to be traded in his draft year since MLB changed its rules on trading recently drafted guys, and Kelenic went from the sixth overall pick by the Mets to a deal with the Mariners for Edwin Diaz and the bad half of Robinson Cano's contract. Kelenic was the best prep position player in the draft, both in my view and in the industry consensus. He really was limited only by geography: He's from Wisconsin, so his spring season was short (he didn't play for his high school, playing with a local travel team so he could get in more games for scouts), and his competition wasn't great.

He's a tool shed, though, with 70-grade raw power, a 70 arm, plus speed (at least now), above-average range in center and the potential at least for a plus hit tool. He's extremely well put-together, without a ton of projection left, though he still looks like he just started shaving. He destroyed GCL pitching and had a strong finish in the Appalachian League after a slow start there, earning raves from pro scouts at both stops. His future comes down to how much he hits, because his secondary skills are strong enough to make him a superstar if the hit tool plays out on the field.

---

So what's he been doing so far this year?

He's hitting .329/.430/.570 including 4 homers and 4 stolen bases through 20 games. 

He has 19 stolen bases through his first 76 minor league games to go along with that 70-grade raw power, by the way.

Like I said - if you play in a dynasty league, run to pick him up now if he's still available. This time next year there's a good chance he's considered one of the elite prospects in baseball.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/31/2019 at 6:44 PM, hailfire4 said:

My only reservation about kelenic is the Mariners farm system. Their last can't miss prospect that didn't miss was well I am sure someone turned out adequate.

This is kinda how I feel. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, Ulls55 said:

Promoted to AA today

Kelenic is moving up quick!  One of my favorite minor league hitters as I actually watched him in highschool / travel.  I am concerned he may struggle in AA though.  But if he doesn't he's going to jump into the elite teir of prospects.  He's at 24 right now with Bo and McKay graduating and Adell hurt he legit could end up in the #4 - #8 range in the next update.

• Like 3
16 hours ago, FouLLine said:

Kelenic is moving up quick!  One of my favorite minor league hitters as I actually watched him in highschool / travel.  I am concerned he may struggle in AA though.  But if he doesn't he's going to jump into the elite teir of prospects.  He's at 24 right now with Bo and McKay graduating and Adell hurt he legit could end up in the #4 - #8 range in the next update.

As im sure you know Kelenic is a notorious slow starter.  When he starts the regular seasons, comes back from an injury and now after promotions (last year promoted from GCL to Kingsport...this year from WV to Modesto). But after his struggles he catches on and starts killing it.  So deff expecting a brief struggle transitioning to AA...Kelenic will be dominating in no time.

On 5/31/2019 at 4:44 PM, hailfire4 said:

My only reservation about kelenic is the Mariners farm system. Their last can't miss prospect that didn't miss was well I am sure someone turned out adequate.

You should be extremely leery of Mariner prospects.  You’re going to have a potential lame duck GM who could start doing what Jack Z did with prospects and start calling them up too early, letting them waffle away with zero major league talent to support them, ruin them mentally/mechanically.  Dipito was on the radio in Seattle last week and said the rebuild was already halfway over.  That to me is a very bad warning sign.  It doesn’t take half a season rebuild a team/organization it takes 3+.  Mariners have pitiful ownership, they won’t ever be patient through a true rebuild.  I’m very nervous that they’re going to ruin a lot of these kids.  Hopefully I’m wrong but we have every right to be leery.

On 8/10/2019 at 1:27 PM, FouLLine said:

What Adell injury are you referring to? I can't find anything to say that he's been injured again. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
On 7/27/2020 at 3:11 PM, brockpapersizer said:

Wow, no post since August 23rd. That's a long time.

This guy should be on radars for redraft leagues and is quite easily a top 10 dynasty prospect right, probably top 5 honestly. 

When do you think he could realistically debut? I see so many mixed reports. 

8 minutes ago, WTP333 said:

When do you think he could realistically debut? I see so many mixed reports. 

Could not come up this year, but honestly could also be up at any time. The week to get the extra year of control is upon us. He's better than Mallex Smith or Dylan Moore who started in the OF for the Mariners today.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Why?  Is he better defensively than Kyle Lewis?

Just read that on some prospects reports.
Also, his strong arm would work well too in RF.

I’m just guessing from what I’m reading that he’ll play OF and eventually settle at CF but still being versatile.

• 5 months later...

Loving everything I've been reading about his 2020 experience at the alt-camp.  Mariners OF is Lewis, Haniger(if he can stay healthy) and Marmolejos according to fangraphs.  Seems like there is 1 spot that is open for the taking and if Haniger gets hurt again 2.  Is Kelenic a possibility to start season with the club or more more likely to come up once they secure another year of control?  Assume he's ahead of both Trammel and Rodriguez for getting the call?