NBC Sports Edge Forums

Scott Kingery 2019 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2019 season will be locked on 2019-11-28. Please finish any 2019 discussions here, and take any 2020 outlook discussions to the 2020 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He has started 14 games in a row.  I think it’s time to stop worrying about playing time.

Odubel Arrested.......   giddy up      

I'm holding Kingery, and Cole Tucker, but dropped Hampson.   Tucker based more off of straight opportunity, and I guess a feeling I have based off his charisma/confidence.

Kingery, before his call up last year, had the confidence of the Phillies organization on a level close to Acuna  in Atlanta.  They signed him long term before his first Major League at bat because he was virtually a lock to be a solid Middle Infielder of their future, along with Hoskins at 1B.  There's 25/25 upside with a .275 BA right now! ROS he could do 20/20.   Hampson won't give you that power, even at Coors, and Cole Tucker is a wildcard in my mind, though intriguing. 

If you have an IL spot, I'd be sure to hold him.  My league settings have 3 IL spots, plus I've been very fortunate with stars remaining healthy thus far.  Maybe my league has an extra bench spot compared to other leagues too, so my approach is to hold Kingery, and roster Senzel who also offers 25/25 w/ .more like .290 BA upside.  2nd base is super thin this year, and even with my other Middle Infielders, I like the idea of having Kingery/Senzel breaking out, and being able to move one of them, or Seager to address a weakness in my roster.  Someone with an excess of SP's or Outfielders will over pay if they are rostering guys like Freddy Gavlis, or Marcus Semien, and many other MI's who are playing well above their season long ability.  Quite a bit of SS/2nd basemen will come back down to Earth HARD while these guys with more talent show their consistent skill.

There are multiple teams in everyone's league that have a need for a 2B and/or Middle Infielder.  The deeper the league, the more they'll overpay via trade. If Kingery does what Philadelphia will give him a chance to do, and bet long term on him doing, than you have a major asset on your hands to round out that championship roster.

Edited by HulkSmash
  • 2 weeks later...

“He just doesn’t have his rhythm on defense and he’s struggling through a tough time,” said Gabe Kapler, who likened Hernandez’ defensive struggles to a batter going through a slump. “It’s unfortunate, but we’re going to stick with him. He’s been a good defender in the past. Just like earlier in the season, we knew he was a good offensive player in the past, we knew that would come around and it did, we know that his defense will come around, as well.”

Hernandez’s play on Sunday capped a weeklong stretch that began with Hernandez’ baserunning gaffe in Colorado when he left the second-base bag despite the umpire calling him safe. He muffed a grounder in New York and misplayed a shallow popup similar to the one that fell on Sunday. The Phillies, with Scott Kingery out for roughly another week, do not have many other options except to ride with Hernandez.

he will be utility at first but keep an eye on 2nd base

• 2 weeks later...

Hernandez has been hitting well after a slow start. You think they will just take out a guy with a .370 OBP (and over .350 wOBA)? 

Not sure why he can't just slowly just take over CF here. If you have the glove for SS, you can (usually) adapt well to CF if you have plus speed. At least once you got tracking OF balls down. (Looks like he played 49 OF innings last year)

Edited by Slatykamora
47 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

Hernandez has been hitting well after a slow start. You think they will just take out a guy with a .370 OBP (and over .350 wOBA)? 

Not sure why he can't just slowly just take over CF here. If you have the glove for SS, you can (usually) adapt well to CF if you have plus speed. At least once you got tracking OF balls down. (Looks like he played 49 OF innings last year)

What does Odubel's contract look like?  He certainly hasn't been batting well this season.  Does he get the vet respect stuff of can Kingery make inroads assuming the 2019 Kingery comes back and he doesn't turn back into 2018 Pumpkin Kingery.

4 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

What does Odubel's contract look like?

5 / $30M.  Between that and the fact that Kingery hasn't played a significant amount of CF (and none at the major league level), I don't see it happening.  Kingery will float around the infield and get the occasional corner OF appearance, but his only path to regular starts is an injury or replacing Cesar or Franco as the starter.

• Thanks 1

Scott Kingery (hamstring) is expected to be activated from the injured list Sunday.

The Phillies haven't announced anything yet, but Kingery was spotted in the team's locker room. With Maikel Franco in a rut at the plate, Kingery could work his way into regular at-bats at third base if he picks up where he left off at the plate.

If he continues to hit (not .400, but still), I can see him bumping back and forth from CF and 3B and playing everyday.  Wouldn't make much sense to only play him part time if he continues to produce.

4 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Was he tearing up minors or something? Seems a bit early but I don't mind 

He wasn't down there to really find his swing though. Just for rehab I guess.

2 hours ago, urban2014 said:

Was he tearing up minors or something? Seems a bit early but I don't mind 

No, he was tearing up the majors early in the season then got injured and needed to rehab before coming back.  He was hitting over .400 with a couple of homers in 32 ABs with the Phils subbing for the injured Segura when he got injured as well.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
On 4/23/2019 at 2:00 PM, metropolitans said:

He's being cut in a lot of leagues bc of this hamstring injury which is listed as mild. Cant hurt to take advantage of impatient owners & stash him on the DL. Might be a great window to buy low IMHO. 

It took a month but I rode out the storm with Kingery on the DL & I'm very happy to own him now! 👏

• Like 1

I haven't followed this player much at all this year. Obviously he hit well in a small sample size so far, but hard to say what he'll do ROS. I like that he's in a good Philly lineup and seems like he could be more than a super utility guy depending on how he hits and other guys on the team perform. Curious what you guys might predict/project right now shooting from the hip. 

You guys expecting a big break out this year ? 

Edited by tonywow

Scott Kingery signed a 6 year / $24,000,000 contract with the Philadelphia Phillies, including a $1,500,000 signing bonus, $24,000,000 guaranteed, and an annual average salary of $4,000,000. In 2019, Kingery will earn a base salary of $1,250,000, while carrying a total salary of $1,500,000. Contract: 6 yr(s) / $24,000,000 Signing Bonus: $1,500,000

They obviously think highly of him.

^  That was then; this is now.

So yeah they did back when he signed that multi-year contract before he even ever was called up.  Then he promptly had a horrible freshman year.  They can but hope the start he is off to this year is more of who he is and that those 2018 style stats won't ever return again.

He seems to have turned a corner but Franco and Odubel and Cesar are still blocking him from every day starts.  I mean Odubel has been terrible at the plate this year but like pointed out above, he has a long term contract as well.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

Sounds like he’ll find himself in CF quite often.  And when he isn’t starting there against at least every LHP he’ll be mixing and matching in the INF.  Franco sucks so won’t be tough getting that bum on bench a few times a week.  I’d venture to guess he’ll play nearly everyday in some capacity.

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 2