NBC Sports Edge Forums

Scott Kingery 2019 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2019 season will be locked on 2019-11-28. Please finish any 2019 discussions here, and take any 2020 outlook discussions to the 2020 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He has started 14 games in a row.  I think it’s time to stop worrying about playing time.

Odubel Arrested.......   giddy up      

3 minutes ago, NolanRyan said:

with McCutchen down, this might clear up playing time situation for the short term.

Hope McCutchen is OK tho

Yeah I wasn’t gonna be the one to say that.. agreed though. Good for Kingery. Who’s lead off? Segura, Hernandez or Kingery? 

15 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

Yeah I wasn’t gonna be the one to say that.. agreed though. Good for Kingery. Who’s lead off? Segura, Hernandez or Kingery? 

I would imagine it's Segura, but I could imagine Kingery sliding into the 2-hole.  All speculation at this point, but one thing is for certain is the injury does nothing but help Kingery's outlook (although it does indeed suck for McCutchen).

1 hour ago, Ryansm11 said:

Cesar 

• tonycpsu locked and unlocked this topic
10 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

Right, but the Sox were still rebuilding in 2014, so they didn't mind running a possible defensive liability out there in the outfield.  Letting Kingery learn on the job isn't out of the question, but it certainly carries some risks for a team that's suddenly just one game ahead of the Braves.

Red Sox weren't rebuilding.  (They never would go into deep rebuild mode or there would be riots in these parts).  They were winning the World Series in 2014 and part of the reason is they kept running Mookie out there and didn't give up on him.

With McCutchen's injury the Phillies should be doing the same now with Kingery.  It is amazing what repetitive starts at a position will do for a player as he grows in the role quickly.  But repetition is absolutely necessary.  Not just for muscle memory alone but you show the player you have confidence in him which is absolutely crucial for these young guys to grow and florish.

Both Kingery and Mookie have speed.  As Kingery starts to learn CF his speed eventually will come into play and cover some of those early mistakes in breaking the wrong way etc during the learning process.  You just have to accept a few bad plays for the time being for a major reward in the end.  And I say that as someone who was Mookie's biggest critic when he started playing in the OF.  I thought he sucked there -- which he did at times -- but he learned pretty quickly and I was wrong about him not being able to play the OF within about a month.  (Of course it helped that JBJ was next to him covering up some of his early mistakes I admit).

Anyway I think McCutchen's injury is the perfect reason to just keep running Kingery out there every day and letting him get the reps he needs.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Ryansm11 said:

It should be Cesar.  It won't be because Kapler.

15 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Red Sox weren't rebuilding.  (They never would go into deep rebuild mode or there would be riots in these parts).  They were winning the World Series in 2014 and part of the reason is they kept running Mookie out there and didn't give up on him. 

They were defending champions in 2014, but they finished 20 games below .500 that season.  Betts wasn't called up until June 29th, at which point they were mathematically in the wild card hunt (6 games under .500) and hoping Betts would be the spark they needed, but those hopes evaporated quickly throughout July and August.  You can call it "reloading" or whatever else you want, but when you finish last in your division two years in a row, your team is less worried about maximizing the chances for a win on that particular day, and more interested in player development.

The Phillies, meanwhile, are just a half a game ahead of the Braves in the division after losing to the Padres tonight.  The stakes are much different, or at least they were before Cutch's injury.  If he misses significant time then obviously Kingery will get regular PT, but if he's as bad in CF as he's been so far, they aren't going to cough up winnable games in a division race just to help him develop his skills on the job.

Just now, nlm said:

Kingery is eligible in the OF on Fantrax now. Nice little bonus.

And espn

• Like 1
15 hours ago, 96mnc said:

It should be Cesar.  It won't be because Kapler.

Likely Cesar against Righties. Not sure about lefties. In recent days, Kingery has hit ahead of Cesar against lefties because Kingery is vastly outperforming Cesar as a RHH.I could see Kingery perhaps hitting second against lefties.

14 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Reportedly Adam Haseley is getting the call if Cutch goes to IR.  Per MLB Network.

So it seems like Kingery's days in the OF are likely over.  At least very often.  That is until Haseley falls on his face, which is a very good possibility since they are rushing him.

41 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

So it seems like Kingery's days in the OF are likely over.  At least very often.

Looks that way.  Tonight's lineup:

1. Cesar Hernandez (S) 2B

2. Bryce Harper (L) RF

3. Jean Segura (R) SS

4. Rhys Hoskins (R) 1B

5. J.T. Realmuto (R) C

6. Jay Bruce (L) LF

7. Scott Kingery (R) 3B

8. Adam Haseley (L) CF

9. Jerad Eickhoff (R) P

But it seems like he's the new regular 3B, with this being the 2nd night in a row since the trade that he's starting there.  Works for me as long as he's playing.

If he could JUST play a few more games at 2nd base. I'm not super familiar with his situation, but was he only playing 2nd base when Cesar Hernandez was out with an injury, or will he have a chance to gain eligibility at 2nd as well?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DFWSooner said:

If he could JUST play a few more games at 2nd base. I'm not super familiar with his situation, but was he only playing 2nd base when Cesar Hernandez was out with an injury, or will he have a chance to gain eligibility at 2nd as well?

In CBS leagues he only needs one more start/appearance at 2nd to qualify (currently at 4)  He already has OF, SS, and 3B

15 minutes ago, The Trop said:

In CBS leagues he only needs one more start/appearance at 2nd to qualify (currently at 4)  He already has OF, SS, and 3B

In Yahoo I believe he still needs 3 more starts, or 6 more appearances at 2nd to qualify. Unfortunately I think it might take an injury to Cesar Hernandez for that to happen anytime soon.

1 hour ago, DFWSooner said:

Pretty much. Unless the Phillies want to try Hernandez back in CF (which he has played a little before, just not in a long time), the odds Kingery plays much 2B are slim. He'll get his starts at CF and 3B and occasionally fill in for the day off here and there at SS and 2B. But if Hernandez got hurt, thenall bets are off.

19 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

So it seems like Kingery's days in the OF are likely over.  At least very often.  That is until Haseley falls on his face, which is a very good possibility since they are rushing him.

I still think we'll see him play the OF against lefties and they'll sit Bruce, using him as a bat off the bench. Either way the playing time will be there, especially if he keeps hitting.

Keep expecting him to regress ( didn’t know he was .300+ hitter) and he keeps hitting. [...]

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

Haseley should get an extended opportunity to prove himself against major-league pitching, as manager Gabe Kapler said prior to the contest that Maikel Franco would transition to a bench role while the rookie starts regularly in the outfield and Scott Kingery shifts to third base, per Matt Gelb of The Athletic

• Thanks 1