NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Luke Voit 2019 Outlook

B&F

1 hour ago, roadawg said:

Coach speak. I wouldn't look too much into everything coaches say. It's not gospel and mostly just conversational BS'ing with a reporter etc.

I don't get why people try to read between the lines with everything coaches say, its a waste of time.

Wait isn't that like half the reason for these boards in the first place?

Some speculation here in NY that if Hicks does open the season on the IL it could open the opportunity to extend the 1B competition into the season. Basically Judge and Stanton would play the corners and leave the DH for Bird/Voit. Not sure how realistic this is or if its actually an option but could be something to keep an eye on.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sidearmer said:

Some speculation here in NY that if Hicks does open the season on the IL it could open the opportunity to extend the 1B competition into the season. Basically Judge and Stanton would play the corners and leave the DH for Bird/Voit. Not sure how realistic this is or if its actually an option but could be something to keep an eye on.

DH spot needs to be open a lot for Gary, also resting Stanton/Judge (to absolutely keep them healthy) and whoever else may need it. They just need to get Bird out of the equation. It's cute he's having a nice ST but the experiment failed and it's Voit's turn now IMO

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Ecofolux said:

DH spot needs to be open a lot for Gary, also resting Stanton/Judge (to absolutely keep them healthy) and whoever else may need it. They just need to get Bird out of the equation. It's cute he's having a nice ST but the experiment failed and it's Voit's turn now IMO

Yes you are right, but if Hicks is out for 5-10 days they can do this to start.

Cashman is on WFAN right now and just said himself that if Hicks starts on the IL that keeping Voit and Bird is an option.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

Any chance Voit gets a sniff of the OF?  Would be great if he could also add OF eligibility in Yahoo or leagues that only require 5 starts 10 appearances.

Reading this I wonder if he ever has played the OF ... He has in the minors & the majors 

8 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

Any chance Voit gets a sniff of the OF?  Would be great if he could also add OF eligibility in Yahoo or leagues that only require 5 starts 10 appearances.

Probably no chance. Between Hicks, Gardner, Judge, and Stanton, moving him to OF doesn't really help Yankees in any way. There is also Clint Frazier and even Jacoby Ellsbury if he ever gets healthy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

if hicks starts the year on the 10 day DL, they would probably want to carry someone who can play the outfield.  Frazier seems more likely.  i dont think they trust stanton and gardner every day in center and right.

they are probably rolling with Cessa and German (great game today vs boston) as SP4 and SP5 until CC and sevy come back.  they are going to carry an extra bullpen arm

that leaves a 3 person bench.  Romine, DJLem, and that 3rd spot would probably be wade (who can play OF) or frazier.

bird just doesnt fit unless voit under performs, or judge/stanton get hurt

• Like 2

On 3/13/2019 at 1:37 PM, roadawg said:

Coach speak. I wouldn't look too much into everything coaches say. It's not gospel and mostly just conversational BS'ing with a reporter etc.

I don't get why people try to read between the lines with everything coaches say, its a waste of time.

Yup.  Every manager will talk about every one of their players as being a future All-Star.

Edited by B&F

18 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

if hicks starts the year on the 10 day DL, they would probably want to carry someone who can play the outfield.  Frazier seems more likely.  i dont think they trust stanton and gardner every day in center and right.

they are probably rolling with Cessa and German (great game today vs boston) as SP4 and SP5 until CC and sevy come back.  they are going to carry an extra bullpen arm

that leaves a 3 person bench.  Romine, DJLem, and that 3rd spot would probably be wade (who can play OF) or frazier.

bird just doesnt fit unless voit under performs, or judge/stanton get hurt

If its 10 days they can probably trust them in the OF for that long. Plus Stanton and Gardner are still good fielders, not like they are liabilities.

If you draft Voit,  it's a good idea to grab Bird late and hold both for a few weeks.  Whoever gets the job will have good value.

I thought Cashman was just trying to boost Bird's value for trade purposes,  but I think he loves the lefty Bird's potential in that lineup.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

If you draft Voit,  it's a good idea to grab Bird late and hold both for a few weeks.  Whoever gets the job will have good value.

I thought Cashman was just trying to boost Bird's value for trade purposes,  but I think he loves the lefty Bird's potential in that lineup.

I had Bird last year. It wasn't fun

48 minutes ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

I did that last night. 

Voit # 200

Bird # 303

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, street sharks said:

I had Bird last year. It wasn't fun

Bird's ADP this year is a late round flier which could pay off nicely.   If he stinks or doesn't play, just drop.  His potential is still there.

• Like 1