Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Luke Voit 2019 Outlook


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Voit owners

1. Trout 2. Mookie 3. Voit

hitting cleanup in that lineup¬†ūüėć

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Del Rio said:

Guys, shhh. Trying to get this guy on the cheap while I still can

That was last year.  Everyone knows about him this year going in.

I don't know who Voit hit his homer off of but yesterday Bird only looked good in part because he was facing the Red Sox Z List pitchers most of whom probably shouldn't still be in the minors even.  Spring stats, especially early games, are so iffy to go by.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jpress82 said:

I think this is going to be a timeshare throughout the season with Voit getting majority of ABS'S. it would be smart to draft both players

 

One is going to make the team and one is not. NY beatwriters have been saying for two weeks now the loser goes to the minors. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

Why couldn't they platoon? Bird is LH and Voit is RH right? Seems like one area of the field that NYY could easily do this.

Do they want to use 2 roster spots for first basemen?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dark Kn19ht said:

Why couldn't they platoon? Bird is LH and Voit is RH right? Seems like one area of the field that NYY could easily do this.

Just use Voit full time and don't waste a spot on a guy who has never come through like Bird.  Voit could become a great 1B if not having his progress handicapped by platooning.  Platooning condemns a player to never getting better and then becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy preventing him from coming into his own.  God, I hate hate hate platooning of younger players.  And Yankees have no need to platoon anyone to squeeze out a few more hits during the season and an extra arm in the bullpen or a multi-position bench guy are far more valuable  for teams in this era.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Just use Voit full time and don't waste a spot on a guy who has never come through like Bird.  Voit could become a great 1B if not having his progress handicapped by platooning.  Platooning condemns a player to never getting better and then becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy preventing him from coming into his own.  God, I hate hate hate platooning of younger players.  And Yankees have no need to platoon anyone to squeeze out a few more hits during the season and an extra arm in the bullpen or a multi-position bench guy are far more valuable  for teams in this era.

 

yankees already stated whoever doesnt make it (prob bird) is going to AAA.  i think DJ Lem is the back up 1b

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jfazz23 said:

 

yankees already stated whoever doesnt make it (prob bird) is going to AAA.  i think DJ Lem is the back up 1b

Gregorius is out for awhile.  DJ is starting at 2b right now.  If I had to guess, the loser will still be on the bench.  They don't have a lot of options for bench bats on the team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, daynlokki said:

Gregorius is out for awhile.  DJ is starting at 2b right now.  If I had to guess, the loser will still be on the bench.  They don't have a lot of options for bench bats on the team.

 

so even tho cashman and boone said otherwise you disagree?

 

wade is looking like hes gonna make the team as UTL infielder.  DJ Lem can play some 1b.  bird will be given everyday at bats in AAA.  stupid to carry both.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

 

so even tho cashman and boone said otherwise you disagree?

 

wade is looking like hes gonna make the team as UTL infielder.  DJ Lem can play some 1b.  bird will be given everyday at bats in AAA.  stupid to carry both.

DJ having 13 total MLB innings at 1B doesn't make me confident in his defensive chops there, even as a backup.  With a starting lineup where the only lefty is Gardner, and they only have 1 switch hitter in Hicks, having a lefty on the bench with power makes a lot of sense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

DJ having 13 total MLB innings at 1B doesn't make me confident in his defensive chops there, even as a backup.  With a starting lineup where the only lefty is Gardner, and they only have 1 switch hitter in Hicks, having a lefty on the bench with power makes a lot of sense.

 

DJ is a gold glover at 2B, I'm sure he can handle 1B. Voit will be an every day player anyway, won't need DJ to be the backup much. Austin Romine is also capable of playing 1B, albeit would be sparingly used. Same with Tyler Wade. What Yankees want is a 1B that will play every day and hope that they don't need to utilize a backup. If Voit is the guy, I'd expect Bird to be left in the minors.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

DJ having 13 total MLB innings at 1B doesn't make me confident in his defensive chops there, even as a backup.  With a starting lineup where the only lefty is Gardner, and they only have 1 switch hitter in Hicks, having a lefty on the bench with power makes a lot of sense.

having a lefty on the bench with power makes a lot of sense.

above is true but not bird.

 

bird needs full time at bats. hell be in AAA, it makes zero sense to keep him up.  if voit stinks you bring him up, if voit is good and he stinks...o well.  if both are great, you can use bird in a trade for a SP

 

 

Edited by jfazz23
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

having a lefty on the bench with power makes a lot of sense.

above is true but not bird.

 

bird needs full time at bats. hell be in AAA, it makes zero sense to keep him up.  if voit stinks you bring him up, if voit is good and he stinks...o well.  if both are great, you can use bird in a trade for a SP

 

 

Ok, so if a lefty power bat makes sense who are they having on their bench then?  Bird is already 26, everyday at bats in the minors aren't going to do much when he's already proven he can hit there.  He does have options remaining and that does matter but to dismiss him without actually having another player that fits that spot makes little sense.  I could also see them playing Stanton out in the field some and having days with Voit and Bird both in the lineup to make it less righty heavy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

Ok, so if a lefty power bat makes sense who are they having on their bench then?  Bird is already 26, everyday at bats in the minors aren't going to do much when he's already proven he can hit there.  He does have options remaining and that does matter but to dismiss him without actually having another player that fits that spot makes little sense.  I could also see them playing Stanton out in the field some and having days with Voit and Bird both in the lineup to make it less righty heavy.

A lot of AAA players that can hit there stay in the minors but can't hit well or consistently enough against major league pitching.  So far Bird seems in that category.  That's why they invented the term "AAAA Player."

I'm sure Bird would have been granted an even longer leash than he already has had had not NY caught lightning in a bottle with Voit.  And Bird's leash has been one of the longest I've seen compared to most young players who have to seize the moment or lose it forever.  He has had plenty of chances.  Voit, pure and simple, is the better hitter.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...