NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Andrew Benintendi 2019 Outlook

CrypTviLL

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

2 hours ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

Wonder what's up with Benny this spring. He usually mashes. Has come out rather slugglish unless he's working on something. 

https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/03/09/new-red-sox-leadoff-hitter-andrew-benintendi-prioritizes-average-over-power/

Not really what you want to hear, but then again, they say the best hitters hit HR's when they aren't trying to.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

Back hitting second. Prefer him in that spot. Maybe Betts also prefers hitting lead off. 

Never understood the switch was stupid as f***.  Dude just won MVP hitting in leadoff.  Oh here’s an idea let’s move him to another spot.  Oh you just won a World Series with configuration.  Let’s change it.....moron.

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, mehtavg2000 said:

He’s so good that he puts up very respectable fantasy numbers without providing any HRs

I guess that's one way to look at it... but the lack of power has to be a concern at this point. 

Devers doesn't have any home runs either, It doesn't mean it's a big concern.   He's a  15/15 or a 20/20 guy with a good average,  OBP, solid runs and RBI's.  He's more than just an ordinary player (although this year so far has been just ordinary).   Just because he's overrated a bit doesn't mean he isn't a very good player.

8 hours ago, NoHablaIngles said:

After reviewing his numbers, benintendi is a power spike (or even power luck) away from being 2018 yelich. 

He contributes everywhere, hes only 24. Believe in the talent, he is not overrated at all.

He is a streaky hitter. Last year he hit 1 homer in April, 1 homer in July and no homers in September. He caught fire in May and June. He is a long ways away from touching Yelich's consistency. I'm talking about Yelich's consistency in the BA/OBP/SLUG departments. Benny has been a Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde side show for his first 2 seasons. Just look at his OPS month by month splits last year and in 2017 then you'll see what I'm talking about. Yelich has never been near that level of inconsistency. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TribeFoo said:

What are other weekly leaguers doing this week? Sounds like he could just miss Monday, but I have to think there's some uncertainty around a swollen foot.

Depends on who you have to replace him with but I am sitting him..he will be missing the BLT game and after that they have the Yanks and Rays, I believe.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, B&F said:

Why again did I draft this guy in the second round?

Your reach is immeasurable?  Wasn’t getting taken until the third in most 12 teams.  Besides, it’s still early so not sure why people are questioning the pick already.  

AB’s #’s may not jump off the stat sheet but he’s an above average contributor in AVG & SB which are a couple of the scarcer stats to accumulate.  This is why he may be perceived to be “overrated”. 

I traded for him after a few weeks last year (Syndergaard for Tendi straight up) and everyone laughed at me but tendi exploded. Home runs steals and avg. was an absolute beast. Slumped at the end of the year as well. Stay patient. Not everyone you draft will be a stud right away. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Ryansm11 said:

I traded for him after a few weeks last year (Syndergaard for Tendi straight up) and everyone laughed at me but tendi exploded. Home runs steals and avg. was an absolute beast. Slumped at the end of the year as well. Stay patient. Not everyone you draft will be a stud right away. 

Very true. He'll go a 5 cat binger when the weather starts to warm up. 

1 hour ago, herschel said:

Just traded for him.  Looking forward to joining in on all of the “why is this guy on my team” moaning.

Me too actually. But no moaning from me. I'm happy to have him on my team, especially as the Boston offense continues to heat up.