NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Andrew Benintendi 2019 Outlook

CrypTviLL

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

14 hours ago, DJSatane said:

this guy turned into a bum in a flash, sure he will be cheap next year.... but is there hope? ....

They said on the broadcast the other night that Alex Cora a day or two ago told him he had to cut down on his strikeouts next season (d'uh) because he has been chasing balls out of the zone all year.  His swing mechanics got messed up early in the year too because of a minor injury they said and he was compensating for it at the time but then he never got it back later. 

So just a couple of days ago Cora called him in for a long talk and gave him a very specific "to do" list of things to work on during the off season and how to go about it. 

In other words this off season he should be in the shop for repairs to his swing and mental game.  Let us see how good a mechanic Cora is at getting him fixed going into next year.  My guess is he will have a come back season since he has all the right physical stuff.  He just has to re-assemble his skill set back to where it had been as it were.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I considered dropping him too. He’s certainly been underwhelming.

But when I went to look at his yearly stats, he’ll still be a 75/15/75/10/.270 guy. 

That’s not not great or even top 40. But for a down year, there are much much worse lines for players who underperform. 

He doesn’t hurt you in any of the traditional 5 categories, and he even helps you a little bit in all 5 in deepish leagues. 

Edited by countseth

I know in listening to SATB pod this week there were some discussions on early mock, curious where he went in those.  Baseball used to be a sport where guys who disappointing  seasons would really fall off ADP wise, but lately it seems like certain types of players, age, pedigree, mancrush status - those guys tend to get the benefit of the doubt, not to say he is gonna hold his exact ADP from this year, but I dont think he will be $1 fodder or rounds 18+ in a draft.  I think it will be a popular "take" for him to have a bounceback, the question that will divide is those who have that take expecting great value versus those who have that take that take him not discounting the disappointing season as much as some would like. 

Considerng he hasn’t been able to hit more than 13 HR in a season in a juiced ball season that’s seeing a ridiculous number of HRs hit...any hopes of superstardom have to have passed. If there was ever going to be a year for him to hit the 30 HRs some have hoped for, it was this year. And he’s not even halfway there. Now I do expect him to bounce back next season because he’s been an all-around disappointment this season, in all five cats. I can see him getting back to .290-100-18-90-15 in his age 25 season, but I’d imagine someone is going to go higher than I’m willing to. 

2 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

He could have value if his ADP drops (as it should) but he has been severely underwhelming. Kind of gross actually. Yuck. 

thy are trading betts so they will give him every chance to bounce back

3 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

thy are trading betts so they will give him every chance to bounce back

Trading Betts isn't going to up his home run total. He's played about 150 games per year the last three years. Playing time isn't the issue here. It's his pop in the boom stick. And 10 baggies with that pop? Unacceptable. Of course they will give him a chance to bounce back. He's 25 years old and he is a solid real life player. But....fool me once, shame on you...fool me twice...strike three.

• 3 months later...

Anyone else optimistic on a bounce back in 2020? 

I read he lost weight over the off season and looks much thinner and is energetic. (Link below) He also worked on somethings with the hitting coach and has made strides.

He is ready for this season and the hitting coach is excited to see what he can do.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlb.com/amp/news/andrew-benintendi-bounce-back-in-2020.html