NBC Sports Edge Forums

Daniel Murphy 2019 Outlook

surprised there is no thread

signed by the Rockies for his age 34 season 

great lineup and the best hitters park in the league.  does he have a year or two left of 310-330 avg with 20-25 hr and 90-100 rbi?

• Like 1
  • Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For the visually inclined:

Daniel Murphy career BA vs. lefties- .279 Mark Reynolds career BA vs. lefties- .234

Posted Images

I think .310 is a cakewalk for him at Coors. His ADP is skyrocketing and rightfully so. I am projecting his 2017 stat line, but I wouldn't be surprised if he surpasses that and slashes his 2016 line. Injury is a concern now that he is approaching 34, but I think full time at 1B will serve him good. 

• Like 2

He's a decent buy in 12-team Y! mocks in mid-Feb. Going mid-6th to mid-7th. Compared to his ceiling that is good value.

I predict his age/injury history will keep him about where he is, which is a decent gamble particularly at 2B.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, dkrocka said:

He's hitting #2 so I wouldn't expect anywhere near 100 RBIs. That could change but hampson would have to completely torch Major league pitching.

Data has shown the 2 spot is the actually the spot your should put your best hitter. Few more PA on the season.

For fantasy purposes, any offset in RBI is caught in Runs.

Edited by fawkes_mulder
  • 2 weeks later...

I realllllly want to buy into D. Murphy, but at $18 in Y! auctions, it's quite hard to... considering he is 34 and came off a very injury-riddled year. 

9 minutes ago, CrypTviLL said:

I realllllly want to buy into D. Murphy, but at $18 in Y! auctions, it's quite hard to... considering he is 34 and came off a very injury-riddled year. 

gonna hit 325 this year

• Like 2
5 hours ago, CrypTviLL said:

It wasnt an injury riddled year, he was slow to come back from a serious knee operation in the off season and didnt make a trip to the DL after he was finally activated

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2019 at 1:27 PM, My Dinner With Andre said:

Still having trouble reconciling the valuation gap between Murphy and Cano.

I know it's Coors, but is home ballpark worth that much? Maybe it is...

I agree the gap is too large, but this is my take.

Lineup construction too. Hitting with Nimmo, McNiel, Conforto, Ramos isn't bad but at the same time it isn't Blackmon, Arenado, Story, Dahl. Also I think there's the hope that a guy with Murphy's contact profile is going to EXPLODE from an batting average standpoint. It's not inconceivable that he could lead the league in hitting and score 120+ runs in that park with that lineup.

• Like 1
On 3/24/2019 at 1:27 PM, My Dinner With Andre said:

Still having trouble reconciling the valuation gap between Murphy and Cano.

I know it's Coors, but is home ballpark worth that much? Maybe it is...

yes

plus murphy is actually younger(2.5 years), not coming off a steroid suspension, and isnt switching leagues

Edited by jfazz23

Batting 2nd today with Arenado back to the #3 spot. Looks like the manager may have changed his mind and will go with Blackmon-Murphy-Arenado-Story now. L-L-R-R. If they had an A.L. lineup and a DH it would make more sense to go L-R-L-R with Blackmon-Arenado-Murphy-Story and give Arenado that late game extra AB. But with a pitcher batting in the 9-hole in the N.L., I understand why you wouldn't want your high slugging Arenado 2 batters behind the pitcher. Interesting situation. slight shift in RBI's and Runs for Murphy and Arenado. 

14 hours ago, Mexi1024 said:

Batting 2nd today with Arenado back to the #3 spot. Looks like the manager may have changed his mind and will go with Blackmon-Murphy-Arenado-Story now. L-L-R-R. If they had an A.L. lineup and a DH it would make more sense to go L-R-L-R with Blackmon-Arenado-Murphy-Story and give Arenado that late game extra AB. But with a pitcher batting in the 9-hole in the N.L., I understand why you wouldn't want your high slugging Arenado 2 batters behind the pitcher. Interesting situation. slight shift in RBI's and Runs for Murphy and Arenado. 

Fantastic spot to hit in either way. I was down on Murphy after last year but this move boosted his value as much as can be.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, swfcdan said:

Fantastic spot to hit in either way. I was down on Murphy after last year but this move boosted his value as much as can be.

i think murphy might have a career year.  im that high on him right now

• Like 1

Wonderful news:

Murphy is undergoing an X-ray on his left index finger Saturday, Nick Groke of The Athletic reports.
Spin: Murphy jammed the finger while making a diving stop at first base Friday, but the team apparently fears it could be something worse than a jam. If he's forced to miss an extended period, Ryan McMahon would slide over to first base, with Garrett Hampson starting at second.

Among Lindor, Correa and Murphy, I have no healthy middle-infielders. 

Per Fantasy Pros:

Fantasy Impact:

Murphy isn't in Colorado's lineup today and now we know why. The veteran slugger injured his finger in a defensive play last night. The Rockies reportedly don't think it's serious so the X-rays sound like they're just a precaution.

Hopefully he's ok, fingers crossed.. Pun intended lol

• Thanks 1