Daniel Murphy 2019 Outlook

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For the visually inclined:

Daniel Murphy career BA vs. lefties- .279 Mark Reynolds career BA vs. lefties- .234

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, Fantasyguy007 said:

I had this injury 18 years ago. I was an offensive tackled, wrapped it, played the final 8 games in high school

Hitting is another thing but think he will be fine and back in 3 weeks or so, just a guess and my opinion

Even complex cases requiring surgery tend to be pretty easily manageable. Only issue is you really have to give it time to heal properly or you risk prolonging things. A lot of times after the initial treatment people "buddy tape" it to the next finger and can go about business or even play sports, but that only works if you can get away without being able to use those fingers individually which I'm not sure you can do as a baseball player.  

Too many variables still to make any claims.  Surgery vs non surgery. Ability to play taped vs not. Average patient activity vs world class athlete.  World class orthopedic doctors vs average Joe doc.  He should be ok long term but short term is still very much a mystery. 

35 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

Even complex cases requiring surgery tend to be pretty easily manageable. Only issue is you really have to give it time to heal properly or you risk prolonging things. A lot of times after the initial treatment people "buddy tape" it to the next finger and can go about business or even play sports, but that only works if you can get away without being able to use those fingers individually which I'm not sure you can do as a baseball player.  

Too many variables still to make any claims.  Surgery vs non surgery. Ability to play taped vs not. Average patient activity vs world class athlete.  World class orthopedic doctors vs average Joe doc.  He should be ok long term but short term is still very much a mystery. 

Long term meaning like what, July?

4-6 weeks for basic fracture healing. Whatever time it takes to ramp up baseball activities. 

Mid to end of May is a reasonable guess at return time. 

I don't think this injury has any longer term impact on his bat. Throwing may still be a little limited at that point, but that's just a maybe. 

12 minutes ago, treat88 said:

4-6 weeks for basic fracture healing. Whatever time it takes to ramp up baseball activities. 

I don't think this injury has any longer term impact on his bat. Throwing may still be a little limited at that point, but that's just a maybe. 

Nice try, but it's his glove hand. 

25 minutes ago, treat88 said:

This will bother him all year. Dude is an aggressive hitter. I am not saying he will hit 260 but his value is gone for 8-12 weeks IMO

2 hours ago, redlegsfan said:

Long term meaning like what, July?

Long term as in if when he's fully healed, assuming there is no setback, I don't see it as drain on value going forward this year and beyond like certain shoulder, knee, foot, wrist injury etc.

4 hours ago, Fantasyguy007 said:

I had this injury 18 years ago. I was an offensive tackled, wrapped it, played the final 8 games in high school

Hitting is another thing but think he will be fine and back in 3 weeks or so, just a guess and my opinion

yeah, like offensive tackle sure, you can basically tape your entire hand into a ball and still go back out there. but like you say, hitting is another thing. the bone healing itself should take about a month, but the tendon involvement... it just depends on if it actually affects his swing, like his grip strength or anything like that by the time he gets back. encouraging is that it wasn't an injury FROM hitting, like a hamate. so maybe it won't affect him at all. 

we can really only guess at this point

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Panther239 said:

I'm not so encouraged yet, look at his finger haha...

D4eEfg4WwAEN3Ti.jpg.fadb233696cad5a5a7fa73e50414e251.jpg

That’s to be expected. He’s most likely wearing a splint under his batting glove to keep the last joint of that finger in a straight position. With mallet finger a splint is worn for a minimum of 4 weeks (and up to 8 weeks) to let the tendon heal. He’s been given clearance to take bp with the splint on to start working on hitting again. Once he is allowed to ditch the splint he’ll be game ready soon after. I’d guesstimate about 2-3 weeks from now. 

Edited by meh2
5 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

1-4 with 2BBs yesterday.  If no on-going problems, I would expect him back in the next few days.

His one hit yesterday was a HR. Hard to say for certain when he'll be back but I am confident enough that it will be in the next few days that I dropped Kolten Wong (my only 2B eligible player) to grab Gregory Polanco before anyone else does. Murphy had a full spring training of 19 games and 59 PA and has been out less than a month. Shouldn't be long at all considering his playing time/results over the weekend.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...