Daniel Murphy 2019 Outlook

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For the visually inclined:

Daniel Murphy career BA vs. lefties- .279 Mark Reynolds career BA vs. lefties- .234

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Damn, it’s been since May 5th since the Rockies last faced right handed starting pitcher! Good news, tomorrow they face Aaron Nola. 🤮

If the Rockies actually paid a 34 year old, oft injured 1B 12 million dollars per year to be a strict platoon bat, it might be the dumbest decision theyve made. And thats saying a lot.

The funny thing is hes actually hit lefties (.294 AVG and 765 OPS) well this year in small sample, and is total trash vs righties (.156 AVG and a .582 OPS). The splits vs LHP were never an issue in 2016 or 2017 or really his entire career, last year he struggled off injury in a shortened season and the Rockies have decided that hes gotta be a straight platoon bat now, all while blocking youth development. Good times!  

4 hours ago, Braves16 said:

I don’t think he’s injured. Seems he’s simply being platooned. 

The last RH the Rockies faced was Zack Greinke on May 5th. 

Seven straight lefties since.  

Or maybe it’s both?  Maybe he’s not 100% so he’s sitting against lefties.  

• Like 1

Good News: He's actually playing

Bad News: He's actually playing

I have no words - other than "disaster"; "excrement" might also fit.

I don't understand what artist formerly known as "Bud Black" does most of the time, and absent any physical explanation (and none has been forthcoming) sitting this guy on the bench for over a week platoon or not is not going to "help" a seasoned, proven, professional hitter.

16 hours ago, SuperJoint said:

I don't understand what artist formerly known as "Bud Black" does most of the time, and absent any physical explanation (and none has been forthcoming) sitting this guy on the bench for over a week platoon or not is not going to "help" a seasoned, proven, professional hitter.

I saw this guy manning 1st base earlier this year, there were some videos on twitter as well which I can find right now, but Daniel Murphy physically looks washed up for a baseball player.  I'm not saying he can't be productive in fantasy if he gets PAs, I think he has some ability to hit and he's in Coors, heck Ian Desmnd is the worst player in baseball and he can still contribute in fantasy baseball. 

2 hours ago, CuredMeats said:

Still plenty of time to turn it around, but man has it been bleak. Debating if I should try to trade him for someone else's headache or hold tight (with him on my bench). 

Atrocious situation here, platoon and not hitting and still doesn't look back to full health. I think you take whatever you can at this point if they are above WW level. [...]

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story
42 minutes ago, swfcdan said:

Atrocious situation here, platoon and not hitting and still doesn't look back to full health. I think you take whatever you can at this point if they are above WW level. [...]

Just don't wanna see him mashing in someone else's lineup in July, if he gets healthy. They gave him big bucks so they should play him. 

• Like 1

This guy was a stud in the 2nd half last year - I don't think he fell off a cliff. He's either in a slump or hurt or both, and I dont drop top tier talent for those 2 reasons. Now if you wanna talk about trading for 80 cents on the dollar then to each their own, but dropping this guy right now is lunacy. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, hgh22 said:

This guy was a stud in the 2nd half last year - I don't think he fell off a cliff. He's either in a slump or hurt or both, and I dont drop top tier talent for those 2 reasons. Now if you wanna talk about trading for 80 cents on the dollar then to each their own, but dropping this guy right now is lunacy. 

Agreed. Murphy is clearly still hampered by his injury. I don’t know how long it’ll take him to heal/get his form back, but it’s definitely worth keeping him to find out. His upside in Colorado is monstrous. 

• Like 1