NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Trea Turner 2019 Outlook

colepenhagen

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

4 hours ago, turner46 said:

Trea Turner’s 162 game average is 20 HR, 56 SBs, 106 runs and a .289 BA. Only Rickey Henderson and Joe Morgan have ever produced all four of those marks in a season.

Whoa, I had to look up Jose Reyes; didnt realize hes never hit 20 HRs in a season, just 19 once.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2019 at 11:35 AM, kmoore1521 said:

food for thought in keepers where some probably have adalberto or villar

grabbing this guy would give such a nice SB duo for those owners, might just be worth reaching a tad to knock out the Sb cat with 2 players who also will hit DD HR's

then load up on power for the rest of your lineup and badda bing

and by reach i mean after the top handful of guys in the 1st so your still using your 1st round pick unless in an auction

I drafted Turner and kept Villar, hoping to take SB every week.

Took Turner over Bryce @ 7, hope I don't regret that.

105/16/75/55/.280 works for me.

1 hour ago, 19cbb said:

Is he leading off or batting second after eaton? Nats going once again today with eaton batting first. Can Turner's running game be affected by this?

I don't think anything is slowing his running game down. If anything no more Harper should give him more green lights.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sidearmer said:

I don't think anything is slowing his running game down. If anything no more Harper should give him more green lights.

This. There were times they were reluctant to run and get caught, taking potential runs off the board while Bryce was batting.

Good riddance.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2019 at 10:00 AM, 19cbb said:

Is he leading off or batting second after eaton? Nats going once again today with eaton batting first. Can Turner's running game be affected by this?

Well according to Rotoworld's "advice", Washington will have Trea leading off this year.  This is from their blurb about Adm Eaton who is swapping places with him in the line-up per this write-up:

Thu, Mar 7

Adam Eaton homered and walked twice against the Mets on Thursday.

Advice: The Nationals quickly reversed course on their original plan to bat Eaton leadoff; he's now expected to occupy the second spot in the order behind Trea Turner. That's not a bad thing for him, since he'll get the occasional RBI now. He drove in just 28 runs in 73 games as a leadoff man last year.

This sentence says "expected" as in sill up in the air.  But it also says that the Nats "quickly reversed course" which makes it sound like a done deal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Well according to Rotoworld's "advice", Washington will have Trea leading off this year.  This is from their blurb about Adm Eaton who is swapping places with him in the line-up per this write-up:

This sentence says "expected" as in sill up in the air.  But it also says that the Nats "quickly reversed course" which makes it sound like a done deal.

This would be optimal. Eaton takes a lot of pitches and makes a lot of contact, perfect guy to steal bases ahead of and / or advance on the bases from sac flies, ground outs, etc.

Nationals manager Dave Martinez told reporters on Saturday that Trea Turner will bat second to begin the season.

Adam Eaton is going to hit leadoff, and star prospect Victor Robles will bat ninth. It's an interesting development for Turner, specifically, as this should give him a better chance to drive in runs with Robles and Eaton batting behind him rather than a pitcher spot and whoever is batting eighth. It could also mean less stolen base attempts behind the third spot, so giveth and taketh away, there. At the very least, it's something to keep an eye on.

RELATED: 
Mar 23, 2019, 4:34 PM

So much for attempting 70-80 steals, eh?

I've mentioned earlier the manager is whats holding Trea back.

10 hours ago, Gryfter said:

Nationals manager Dave Martinez told reporters on Saturday that Trea Turner will bat second to begin the season.

Adam Eaton is going to hit leadoff, and star prospect Victor Robles will bat ninth. It's an interesting development for Turner, specifically, as this should give him a better chance to drive in runs with Robles and Eaton batting behind him rather than a pitcher spot and whoever is batting eighth. It could also mean less stolen base attempts behind the third spot, so giveth and taketh away, there. At the very least, it's something to keep an eye on.

RELATED: 
Mar 23, 2019, 4:34 PM

So much for attempting 70-80 steals, eh?

I've mentioned earlier the manager is whats holding Trea back.

What did you expect? 

Adam Eaton is a quintessential lead-off hitter and Trea is one of the best hitters in the league (good for the 2-hole). It's just smart lineup construction.

2 hours ago, CrypTviLL said:

What did you expect? 

Adam Eaton is a quintessential lead-off hitter and Trea is one of the best hitters in the league (good for the 2-hole). It's just smart lineup construction.

Well considering the same horse's mouth claimed he wanted Trea to attempt 70-80 steals, expecting the manager to bat Trea lead off this season wasnt too crazy of a thought.

At least hes not hitting 6-7 this year...

• Like 1

From a real life perspective this move is a no-brainer - I suppose an argument could be made to have Soto in the 2 hole given his monstrous plate discipline but whatever.

From a fantasy perspective I can't say I'm super disappointed. I own as many shares of Turner as I can get, and I'm not going to complain about him hitting behind Eaton who's a .394 OBP guy in his time with Washington. I'll take the extra RBIs all day. The steals will be there regardless of where he hits, I'm just happy they are not ******** around with him in the 5 and 6 hole like they did a bit last year. Behind Eaton and in front of Rendon and Soto? Sign me up.

• Like 4