NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jimmy Nelson 2019 Outlook

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

those look like the stats of a pot smoking sex addict. 

You have to have drafted/auctioned terribly, be desperate, and also have more than a dash of recklessness to toss a guy who hasn't faced major leaguers in nearly two years onto your active roster, eve

5.2 IP 3H 0R 1BB 8K tonight in what is likely his last rehab appearance.

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Good news (so far) no reports of any (injury) issues for him after the start.

He's lined up to go again for AAA San Antonio Saturday 5/11.

Your regular updates on Jimmy’s progress, are much appreciated. Are you finding most of this info from beat writer twitter feeds or brewers AAA affiliate (Missions) website?

Edited by Unoslacker
25 minutes ago, Unoslacker said:

Your regular updates on Jimmy’s progress, are much appreciated. Are you finding most of this info from beat writer twitter feeds or brewers AAA affiliate (Missions) website?

I dig around everywhere but Twitter is a big help. I just follow a few good sources and constantly get updates. Do a search for “Whoever” by first and last name and go to the “latest” feed. 

I just did that right now and poof:

Edited by Members_Only_76
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
8 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I like it. Maybe two more rehab starts? Just speculating. 

Only one more start scheduled for FRI, obv depends on how it goes--or more precisely how he feels, but that should probably be it for his rehab.

• Like 1

I think it's hilarious this guy isn't pitching in the majors yet. I remember picking him up last year at around the same time in contemplation of his call up...what happened? Must've been a major set back or something. Anyways, hoping he can return to normal and be a decent pitcher again.

25 minutes ago, Jyeatbvg said:

I think it's hilarious this guy isn't pitching in the majors yet. I remember picking him up last year at around the same time in contemplation of his call up...what happened? Must've been a major set back or something. Anyways, hoping he can return to normal and be a decent pitcher again.

He tore the labrum in his throwing shoulder. That’s a career-ender for most pitchers. Think Brandon Webb and Mark Prior. Less than 20 percent of pitchers with that injury ever return to their previous level of success - Some data here

There was hope last year that Nelson’s injury wouldn’t be as bad because he tore it sliding back to a base and not throwing, but that really wasn’t the case. He appears pretty close to a full return to health which puts him in the lucky camp.

• Like 5
41 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

what kind of numbers do we expect Jimmy to put up ROS? contemplating adding in shallow leagues but his rehab outings havent been very encouraging

Honestly I'm not sure what type of numbers we'll get but his velocity has been there in his rehab games. If he was struggling to throw with the velocity he had pre-injury I would say don't bother. But since he hasn't, I think it could be worth the gamble. So if you feel you have an expendable player or open spot on your roster then I'd take the gamble. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

what kind of numbers do we expect Jimmy to put up ROS? contemplating adding in shallow leagues but his rehab outings havent been very encouraging

I'm hoping for an ERA under 4 with a a solid K-rate. Anything more is gravy.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Expect? I'm going to keep low standards and predict a 4 era or just under. But hope? I mean he's got a lot of overcome but potentially we could be looking at a low to mid 3 guy. I wouldn't want to put my team in a position of needing to count on that happening, but not every ww arm has this upside. Whether that's worth an add to your team is something each owner needs to figure out for themselves based on their settings, but I've added him where he was available.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

One more rehab start. 

I would absolutely prefer he sit on my IL and keep up these rehab starts until he’s ready to go. Much better then coming back to early and being garbage and me having to activate and bench him lol. 

Edited by Ryansm11
Typo

Just to elaborate more on his start last night far as velocity etc.

Missions Beat Writer‏ @BriggsMissions 

Pitcher Jimmy Nelson pitches well in his third rehab appearance for the Missions. He went 5 and 2/3 scoreless. Gave up three singles. Struck out eight and walked one. Fastball in the 92-93 range on high end. 86 pitches, 54 for strikes. @Jimmy_J_Nelson @Brewers @missionsmib

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

One more rehab start. 

Nelson (shoulder) threw 5.2 scoreless innings in his rehab start Friday for Triple-A San Antonio. He gave up three hits and one walk while striking out eight.

Spin: This was Nelson's best rehab start, throwing 54 of his 86 pitches for strikes. He has a 3.77 ERA and 1.12 WHIP with 16 strikeouts through 14.1 innings in three rehab outings in the Pacific Coast League. Nelson will make one more rehab start at Triple-A, per Greg Luca of the San Antonio Express News. If that start goes well, he could join the big-league rotation before the end of May.

• Thanks 1

I know we’ve touched on his last start and the upcoming final rehab start already, but I stumbled upon this great little read and had to share. Adds a little more on where he is now and the gains he’s made since 2017. Not only is his recovery impressive, but how he was able to do all of this while also going through so much in his personal life, is really amazing. Such a great story and really happy for Jimmy and the Nelson family.

https://www.mlb.com/news/right-hander-jimmy-nelson-near-return-to-brewers

• Like 3