NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Luis Severino 2019 Outlook

The 7th Beatles

are the Yankees just being safe here expecting Severino to return in May and be ready to pitch how is capable of?

missing April wont help in wins and K's, but if from the start he can be great with ERA/WHIP then one shouldn't drop his value too much.

42 minutes ago, Miketrout009 said:

So is Severino going to be fully healthy when he comes back? Or will this be a lingering injury? How concern are you guys with him? His current ADP is 80 still. 

I wouldn’t pay it. Rotator cuff inflamation screw the *#%+ out of me. 

1 hour ago, Magoo said:

I wouldn’t pay it. Rotator cuff inflamation screw the *#%+ out of me. 

He is still being drafted around 70-80. It seems like many people or at least the draft board from Yahoo really likes him and still think he will perform well once he comes back from the DL. 

Can Severino go top 20 pitcher once he comes back?

Also there is news that he will come back the EARLIEST May 1st. That means there could be a chance of a setback.

Edited by Miketrout009
  • Thanks 1

I drafted him at 80, I couldn’t resist since the other top pitchers left were Morton, tanaka , haap , price , etc

i feel like he will be a top 10-15 starter by June and for H2H purposes I’m all for it due to the fact that playoffs are what it’s all about 

Aslong as you feel like you can stay around the 4-7 seed in your league without him , I don’t see that much risk in taking him in the 7th round .. same goes for draft folty or kershaw after pick 100.

bottom line is if you’re playing H2H don’t be afraid to draft an all star at a discount and have him recover on your IL for about 25% of the season 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Simsanityy179 said:

I drafted him at 80, I couldn’t resist since the other top pitchers left were Morton, tanaka , haap , price , etc

i feel like he will be a top 10-15 starter by June and for H2H purposes I’m all for it due to the fact that playoffs are what it’s all about 

Aslong as you feel like you can stay around the 4-7 seed in your league without him , I don’t see that much risk in taking him in the 7th round .. same goes for draft folty or kershaw after pick 100.

bottom line is if you’re playing H2H don’t be afraid to draft an all star at a discount and have him recover on your IL for about 25% of the season 

The only problem I have with Severino currently is that in the second half last year he was abysmal. This plus the injury he has currently concerns me. Does anyone know how pitcher's recover from Rotator inflammation? Is it a high chance for the injury to reoccur again? I understand the upside though. When fully healthy he can be a top 10 pitcher for sure. I just hope that this injury isn't a situation where it lingers longer than 2-3 months and then out for the season. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Miketrout009 said:

The only problem I have with Severino currently is that in the second half last year he was abysmal. This plus the injury he has currently concerns me. Does anyone know how pitcher's recover from Rotator inflammation? Is it a high chance for the injury to reoccur again? I understand the upside though. When fully healthy he can be a top 10 pitcher for sure. I just hope that this injury isn't a situation where it lingers longer than 2-3 months and then out for the season. 

I’m with you on that , his second half struggles are a concern , but than again I’m not worried about goldy or joram who have both gone through cold streaks last year.

i understand things are different when it comes to a pitcher but the upside is to good to resist for me. Sevy was being drafted just behind nola, snell , and cole BEFORE the injury.

In leauges with DL and H2H playoffs I will gladdy take an injured player with elite upside especially in 8-10 team leauges where the chance of making playoffs are good.

In regards to rotator injuries , aslong as the initial stages of the healing process go good without any setbacks you will be back to normal , it’s the setbacks that start you back from the beginning. Considering sevys age I wouldn’t be concerned and I’m CERTAIN he will be 95% by June which A lot of you guys can swallow. 

I always suggest taking 1 injured guy at a discount in every draft for this reason 

1 hour ago, jackg1162 said:

I would not touch this guy unless he fell really, really deep in the draft.  

If he only ends up missing the first month of the season he could end up being a steal at his current ADP based on the recent reports:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jackg1162 said:

Very true but will he be the Severino of last year's first half or second half?

1 minute ago, Hanghow said:

If we could say with certainty you'd get first half Severino, he'd be going much much higher.

Yeah, and the price that he's going at makes it a worthwhile gamble in my opinion.