NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2019 Spring Training Updates

Light Tower Power

I wish they would start the clock this year but, as with the DH rule for all, baseball will find ways to drawl things out for years before getting anything done.  They themselves should be on a 20 second clock.

Also this from ST:

Clayton Kershaw (arm) said Friday that he "should be playing catch in the next few days and kind of go from there."

Kershaw hasn't thrown for a couple days after telling manager Dave Roberts that he "didn't feel right" during a live batting practice session Monday and again during a bullpen session Wednesday. The left-hander said that he's "not going to be super-specific" regarding what ailment he's dealing with, although Roberts revealed previously that it was "kind of an arm kind of thing." Kershaw missed time last year with biceps tendinitis, but Roberts said this isn't related to that. While it might be premature to be overly concerned at this point, it's not an encouraging start to spring training for a guy who faces durability questions.

Source: Bill Plunkett on Twitter     Feb 22, 2019, 2:40 PM

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

53 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I wish they would start the clock this year but, as with the DH rule for all, baseball will find ways to drawl things out for years before getting anything done.  They themselves should be on a 20 second clock.

Also this from ST:

Clayton Kershaw (arm) said Friday that he "should be playing catch in the next few days and kind of go from there."

Kershaw hasn't thrown for a couple days after telling manager Dave Roberts that he "didn't feel right" during a live batting practice session Monday and again during a bullpen session Wednesday. The left-hander said that he's "not going to be super-specific" regarding what ailment he's dealing with, although Roberts revealed previously that it was "kind of an arm kind of thing." Kershaw missed time last year with biceps tendinitis, but Roberts said this isn't related to that. While it might be premature to be overly concerned at this point, it's not an encouraging start to spring training for a guy who faces durability questions.

If I had an early draft he would definitely be on my do not draft list as of now. He can't even play catch? How is he going to pitch real games in a month? Better safe than sorry as of now, hopefully he gets healthy and its just a routine Spring Training scare.

On 2/24/2019 at 10:07 AM, ST. STEVEN said:

I will not overreact to ST stats.

It helps to repeat out-loud. I fall into this trap every year and it most always proves to not carry-over.

My worst was a couple years back when Franco was lighting it up for like 8 HR's in ST and I way overpaid for him. OUCH.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2019 at 11:07 AM, ST. STEVEN said:

It helps to repeat out-loud. I fall into this trap every year and it most always proves to not carry-over.

Kila Monster. Never forget. 

• Like 3

The rare best-shape-of-his-life/contract year combo:

"I never worked hard," Puig said. "Maybe that's the reason why I didn't have my better years."

Never worked hard?

"The last couple years, I didn't work hard because I still have a contract to go," Puig said with a slight chuckle. "Now I think I'll work hard more than any year in my life."

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26063464/how-yasiel-puig-moved-reds 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

^  Yeah the confession is going to go a long way to impress front offices next year.  Because once Puig has a big contract signed why would he work hard then?  There would be no real point to in his world.

7ecb4qp.jpg

• Haha 7

8 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

^  Yeah the confession is going to go a long way to impress front offices next year.  Because once Puig has a big contract signed why would he work hard then?  There would be no real point to in his world.

Not that you're wrong necessarily, but machado just signed a huge contract after proclaiming he's not a hustle type guy. Obviously some teams overlook these concerns. 

32 minutes ago, osb_tensor said:

Not that you're wrong necessarily, but machado just signed a huge contract after proclaiming he's not a hustle type guy. Obviously some teams overlook these concerns. 

Not really the same.  Machado was more taken out of context/bad choice of words in the moment.  Machado also puts up all-world production for not considering himself a "hustle player". 

• Like 1

I mentioned last week, either in this thread or the 2019 sleepers thread, that JBJ has been working on re-creating his swing after analyzing it with JD and the coaches this off season. I know this is a sss but so far in his 2 games played he's gone 3-5 with 2 HRs and only 1 strikeout. Just something to keep watching.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, BostonCajun said:

I mentioned last week, either in this thread or the 2019 sleepers thread, that JBJ has been working on re-creating his swing after analyzing it with JD and the coaches this off season. I know this is a sss but so far in his 2 games played he's gone 3-5 with 2 HRs and only 1 strikeout. Just something to keep watching.

I remember you posting that. You got my attention with that, and you still have my attention lol. Or should I say, JBJ has my attention. Even just a slight increase in production due to reworking his swing makes him a nice OF5. I'm hoping this little bit of info goes unseen by my leaguemates and that last year's rough season makes him fall down and down and down our draft board. 

Realistic expectations for JBJ this season if his tutoring lessons from JDM work? Maybe approaching 2016 with a few added steals (~15)? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Baseball Jonze said:

Not really the same.  Machado was more taken out of context/bad choice of words in the moment.  Machado also puts up all-world production for not considering himself a "hustle player". 

i disagree with a couple items.

puig is not a natural english speaker, so giving machado a pass for bad choice of words, while holding puig to his exact wording is ill advised.

no disagreement that machado is a much, much better defender at a premium position, but puig is arguably better with the bat than machado.

• puig career wOBA .357 (129 wRC+)
  • machado careeer wOBA .349 (120 wRC+)

my point was this: assuming puig produces this year with the reds, nobody is going to say "we'd love to give him a contract, but he just doesn't try hard enough." he has talent, and teams will gamble on talent, overlooking other flaws in the process. they always do, and machado is the most recent example.

Edited by osb_tensor
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

I remember you posting that. You got my attention with that, and you still have my attention lol. Or should I say, JBJ has my attention. Even just a slight increase in production due to reworking his swing makes him a nice OF5. I'm hoping this little bit of info goes unseen by my leaguemates and that last year's rough season makes him fall down and down and down our draft board. 

Realistic expectations for JBJ this season if his tutoring lessons from JDM work? Maybe approaching 2016 with a few added steals (~15)? 

3-3 with with two singles, a double, run and a rbi with one of those hits coming off Scherzer today. Me likey. 

If if all goes well and this change is legit I think we could a 20/15 season from him with 75 runs and 75 rbis. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

3-3 with with two singles, a double, run and a rbi with one of those hits coming off Scherzer today. Me likey. 

If if all goes well and this change is legit I think we could a 20/15 season from him with 75 runs and 75 rbis. 

I think its time for the Spring Training Overreaction Thread...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I’ll be out by then. Somewhere near cAmelback I think.

good spot, enjoy! 

I've lived here for 18 years and now take ST for granted. It's really cool to have it where you live. However I barely go anymore. Prices have gotten so high. $50 to sit in the grass.