NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mike Moustakas 2019 Outlook

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LOL?  It was one game and he is a whopping 28 ABs into the season.  I know we live in an instant-gratification culture that is more geared toward DFS and fantasy football, but geez.

Hernan Perez is lurking in the shadows  

He's quietly been very solid this year.  We knew the power would be a good asset, but he's also drawing a good amount of walks.  Could be a steady 4-Cat guy in OBP leagues.  Just been kind of lost for

Trying him doesn't mean every day and they were going to try him last season during the season and backed away. 

Brewers manager Craig Counsell confirmed Monday that Mike Moustakas will get a look at second base in the spring.

Moustakas has reportedly agreed to return to the Brewers on a one-year, $10 million deal. He'll likely get most of his playing time at third base, but the club wants to test his versatility and spring training is a good time to do it. Moustakas has never played second base in pro ball, but it's possible he could play there if he's comfortable. This would mean that Travis Shaw would play third base. It's a situation to watch this spring.

Source: Tom Haudricourt on Twitter                               Feb 18, 2019, 2:08 PM

All we fantasy owners need is a 5 games on Yahoo and a few more on other formats to get Moose 2B.  He doesn't strike me as having youthful, quick flexibility for a 2B but a few games gets you eligibility which is always good.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone been able to see much of him this spring defensively at 2B? Wanna have a good idea of if trying him at 2B will stick long enough for him to get eligibility on Yahoo. Obviously, if he's booting a bunch of balls, not good for his prospects

35 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

He's way too fat for 2B, this is crazy. He's going to pull a groin or hammy before the end of April.

you think or are you just making fun?

did fine getting bullets hit to him at 3rd and having to field bunts. add in that he doesn't have to worry about base runners hitting him on dp and he should be fine. (maybe not ideal range for 2b but not that big of a deal especially with shifts)

Edited by colepenhagen
14 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

you think or are you just making fun?

did fine getting bullets hit to him at 3rd and having to field bunts. add in that he doesn't have to worry about base runners hitting him on dp and he should be fine. (maybe not ideal range for 2b but not that big of a deal especially with shifts)

It's sarcastic but partially true... he isn't built for 2B, if they play him there everyday I can't see his legs holding up over the long haul.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

It's sarcastic but partially true... he isn't built for 2B, if they play him there everyday I can't see his legs holding up over the long haul.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. hes one of the more durable guys in the league and that holds more weight for me than a position change.

3 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

I wouldn't worry too much about it. hes one of the more durable guys in the league and that holds more weight for me than a position change.

I don't think there is reason for worry either way. If he's clearly not comfortable there, they have a few other options to try out.

If he can grab 2B eligibilty in the first 10 or so games of the season, that'd be HUGE.

Edited by roscobangs
49 minutes ago, 6Kill said:

Negative

I'm inclined to agree with this but it's impossible to really quantify these types of things. Any answer given has to take into account what I think will be an overall bump in his production moving to this potent MIL lineup. 

I think it will be a moot point anyway - at least his being there full-time.

Overall I'm more excited about what Moose can do this year than any of the last 5 years at least.

23 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

I got excited for him last year,  but they essentially platooned him on arrival.  I don't think that's the case this year,  any concerns there?

You kind of get that idea since they're trying to shoehorn him in at 2nd. I don't have an answer to this - just speculation: why did they go out and pay him (albeit a 1-year deal) if he's a platoon player. 

59 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

You kind of get that idea since they're trying to shoehorn him in at 2nd. I don't have an answer to this - just speculation: why did they go out and pay him (albeit a 1-year deal) if he's a platoon player. 

Schoop is gone. I think Shaw/Moustakas are locked in as the 2B/3B.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, roscobangs said:

Schoop is gone. I think Shaw/Moustakas are locked in as the 2B/3B.

Pretty much what I think.

Although he didn't get as much 'boost' as we expected last year since arriving at Mil but since he's there from the start now for full-time and season, I hope he can take advantage of the better environment.

7 hours ago, jb_power said:

Hernan Perez is lurking in the shadows

Agreed, I think they will platoon Hernan with Moose at 2B, keeping in mind that Moose can sub for Shaw at 3B on occasion.  Hernan has good splits against LHP allowing him to platoon with Moose/Shaw. 

2 hours ago, El_Chingon said:

Agreed, I think they will platoon Hernan with Moose at 2B, keeping in mind that Moose can sub for Shaw at 3B on occasion.  Hernan has good splits against LHP allowing him to platoon with Moose/Shaw. 

Shaw is much more likely to get platooned.

• Like 1

shaw and mous are not being platooned. occasional day off sure but cmon now

edit: yes I own both and hoping my positive thoughts come true

Edited by floppy
  • Like 1
19 minutes ago, floppy said:

shaw and mous are not being platooned. occasional day off sure but cmon now

edit: yes I own both and hoping my positive thoughts come true

Hernan is very good vs LHP, why would they not utilize that resource and keep shaw and moose fresh?  If they play 3 starting LHP over a 10 day period, shaw probably sits 2 of those and Moose sits against 1 of them.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, El_Chingon said:

Hernan is very good vs LHP, why would they not utilize that resource and keep shaw and moose fresh?  If they play 3 starting LHP over a 10 day period, shaw probably sits 2 of those and Moose sits against 1 of them.

Because good payers are everyday players and aren't jerked around.  Hernan is a utility player.  Let him go utility.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Because good payers are everyday players and aren't jerked around.  Hernan is a utility player.  Let him go utility.

Right.  And good players also have routine days off.  That's what a utility player provides. 

2 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

Moustakas has never played 2B in his career. if he's not as good defensively the Brewers could lift him late for someone else on defense. that could impact him in fantasy.

Or he would shift to 3B and Shaw would be pulled.  If his bat speaks he will play the whole game.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory