NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mike Moustakas 2019 Outlook

12 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Or he would shift to 3B and Shaw would be pulled.  If his bat speaks he will play the whole game.

Shaw is a good hitter too.

they also don't really have to have Moustakas bat the entire game with their offense. that is why I think they could be willing late in the game after Moustakas AB they bring in someone for defense. I don't think it would be often but I could see it happening.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LOL?  It was one game and he is a whopping 28 ABs into the season.  I know we live in an instant-gratification culture that is more geared toward DFS and fantasy football, but geez.

Hernan Perez is lurking in the shadows  

He's quietly been very solid this year.  We knew the power would be a good asset, but he's also drawing a good amount of walks.  Could be a steady 4-Cat guy in OBP leagues.  Just been kind of lost for

11 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

Shaw is a good hitter too.

they also don't really have to have Moustakas bat the entire game with their offense. that is why I think they could be willing late in the game after Moustakas AB they bring in someone for defense. I don't think it would be often but I could see it happening.

What I was saying was that Moose is a better defensive 3B than Shaw who is really a 3B by trade.

I'd say Moustakas would be close to Shaw.  Estimates are for nearly the same numbers except Shaw has 3 or 4 more bags.  Just go to your display all 2b projections and look at where Shaw sits relative to others.  

• 3 weeks later...

13 runs by the Brew Crew and nothing from Moose.  

I went against my own better judgement and drafted him.  Lineup and ballpark won't matter if a player is struggling.

5 minutes ago, B&F said:

13 runs by the Brew Crew and nothing from Moose.  

I went against my own better judgement and drafted him.  Lineup and ballpark won't matter if a player is struggling.

LOL?  It was one game and he is a whopping 28 ABs into the season.  I know we live in an instant-gratification culture that is more geared toward DFS and fantasy football, but geez.

• Like 6
  • 3 weeks later...

He's quietly been very solid this year.  We knew the power would be a good asset, but he's also drawing a good amount of walks.  Could be a steady 4-Cat guy in OBP leagues.  Just been kind of lost for doing his job in-between Yelich's dominance and Aguilar/Shaw struggles.

• Like 2

His FB% is an insane 50%.  It looks like he really is making a conscious effort to hit bombs.  35 might not be out of the question.

4 minutes ago, B&F said:

His FB% is an insane 50%.  It looks like he really is making a conscious effort to hit bombs.  35 might not be out of the question.

Juiced ball, past production and that home ballpark leads me to believe his HR ceiling is 40+.  I like him as my primary 2B but that requires supplementing SB’s elsewhere since the position typically provides a good source of steals. 

• 2 weeks later...

Keston Hiura was called up today.. I'm sure that it will lead Shaw to the bench for the most part, but I could see Moose sitting a lot more now that they have their golden boy prospect playing 2nd, especially if Shaw heats up at all. 

51 minutes ago, Olliemets said:

Keston Hiura was called up today.. I'm sure that it will lead Shaw to the bench for the most part, but I could see Moose sitting a lot more now that they have their golden boy prospect playing 2nd, especially if Shaw heats up at all. 

I guess I don't see this for a team with big aspirations this year.  Moose is hitting the ball well and has shown improvements in his plate discipline as well.  He'll get the general day off against a lefty, perhaps, but Hiura's call-up is far more about Shaw IMO.

2 hours ago, Olliemets said:

Shaw's being demoted.  Moose sacrifices little-to-no PT for Hiura.  This actually allows him to slide back over to 3B, so he'll retain 2B/3B position eligibility for next season (based on platform -- i.e. ESPN, Fantrax). 

2 hours ago, Olliemets said:

Huh?  I doubt Moustaka's playing time will decrease at all.  He's producing.  Why would it?

4 hours ago, Olliemets said:

Couldn't disagree more.  Moose has been one of their best hitters not named Yelich, regardless of a mini-slump right now partially brought on by the fact that they played two extra innings games recently (with one being a marathon).  If Shaw was doing any good at all, Hiura wouldn't be up right now even though he deserves to be.  The only thing the call-up does to Moose is guarantee he plays 3B almost exclusively the rest of the season.  He's got his 2B eligibility for next season already, so no big deal there.