NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mike Moustakas 2019 Outlook

33 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Couldn't disagree more.  Moose has been one of their best hitters not named Yelich, regardless of a mini-slump right now partially brought on by the fact that they played two extra innings games recently (with one being a marathon).  If Shaw was doing any good at all, Hiura wouldn't be up right now even though he deserves to be.  The only thing the call-up does to Moose is guarantee he plays 3B almost exclusively the rest of the season.  He's got his 2B eligibility for next season already, so no big deal there.

Look, I'm not saying that this is a huge negative for Moose. He will be the starting 3B and continue to hit in the middle of the lineup. He's had great value for everyone that took him thus far. 

All I mean here is that moving Shaw to the bench, a guy who has back to back 30-90 seasons for the Brewers IIRC, will surely give Moustakas a shorter leash if he were to struggle. Say Shaw gets hot in his limited at bats and Moose goes through a cold spell.. they'll be a lot quicker to give Shaw more starts at Moose's expense than they would a guy like Hernan Perez in a similar scenario.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LOL?  It was one game and he is a whopping 28 ABs into the season.  I know we live in an instant-gratification culture that is more geared toward DFS and fantasy football, but geez.

Hernan Perez is lurking in the shadows  

He's quietly been very solid this year.  We knew the power would be a good asset, but he's also drawing a good amount of walks.  Could be a steady 4-Cat guy in OBP leagues.  Just been kind of lost for

• 3 weeks later...

A good write up on Moose:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/mike-moustakas-subtle-adjustment/

So I’m going to say that going to the opposite field more isn’t necessarily the underlying cause of Moustakas’ success. I believe there is another factor that better explains it: It is Moustakas’ improved ability to hit the low pitch. On pitches in the bottom-third of the strike zone in 2018, he posted a .324 xwOBA. That was good — 68th percentile good — but doesn’t even compare to his .452 xwOBA on those types of pitches in 2019. That puts him in the 93rd percentile:

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

He has one bad month all year (July) slumps happen. The power was disappointing (3 hr vs 7/8/8) but his R+RBI only had a slight drop off from April and June (11+12 vs 14+15 and 16+13, May was 21+21). Not worried ROS

In H-2-H, he has been killing me for over a month, and these are his stats over the last 14 days. He has had a few multi-hit games lately, but is doing absolutely nothing, which is surprising in the Brew-Crew lineup. Don't want to, but seriously might have to drop. I understand slumps happen, but this is ridiculous. Not seeing anything changing, and wondering if there is some underlying injury and/or fatigue...

Player                             Pre-Season  Current  % Owned     H/AB      R      HR     RBI    SB    AVG
M. Moustakas Mil - 2B,3B        118             785         87%        10/39      1        0        1        0     .256
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...