NBC Sports Edge Forums

Chris Godwin 2019 Outlook

I am high on WR CGodwin for 2019 and beyond, esp with DJax/AHumphries more than likely out the door (leading to Godwin becoming the WR2 in TB), and I found this information might :unsure: be another positive notch in Godwin's measuring tape going forward: https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/news/201783/chris-godwin-could-play-more-slot-2019.php 

*apparently the slot position is highly productive in a Bruce Arians offense.

I just hope it doesn't mean there will be another WR playing the "Z" position to Evans "X," relegating Godwin to predominately the slot/WR3. :eek:

Maybe the slot in Arians offense will operate as a WR2...?

Edited by FollowTheLeader
  • Replies 695
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Let us observe a moment of silence for all of us who benched Godwin and lost our weeks because of it...   

This guy is going to be special. I think it comes down to how well Garoppollo and the RB's and the OL can set up the passing plays for the 49ers. This will determine how well he will be able to do thi

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, BrianM said:

They'll be down 179 targets with a Humphries and D-Jax departure.    Godwin was nearly a top 25 WR before that happened, so this all seems to make perfect sense that Godwin is a WR 2 next year, right?

I can see alternative spin (positive vs negative) being put on the information I posted. For example: one negative spin is Godwin will man the slot because DJax will be re-signed to play 2nd fiddle (Z) to Evans (X) <_<

While I traded for Godwin early last season with the belief Godwin would take over #2 duties next to Evans in 2019 and beyond...until DJax is gone :unsure:

Now, if DJax is gone, and Godwin does man the Z receiver spot next to Evans, with Godwin running a ton of plays from the slot position B)

Edited by FollowTheLeader

I've been in the "DJax Gets Cut" camp since last season, but the article pasted in this threads OP plus the following article, cause me to be a bit more skeptical :unsure:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2818985-buccaneers-hc-bruce-arians-reaches-out-to-desean-jackson-come-back-brother

*just go away already Desean <_< ...go screw up the Rams locker room (I've read that his ideal landing spot.)

Love Godwin's talent and if Humphries + Djax head out of town, I will definitely be targeting Godwin everywhere.  As someone mentioned, he was broderline WR2 last year with all the competition for targets, and if these 2 guys leave, there will be a lot of open targets for Godwin to absorb.  

I guess, what I was trying to get across is that reading the tea leaves in regards to the future WR situation in TB just got a bit muddier:

1) media reports of Godwin playing more in the slot...hmmm' (not saying Godwin operating some out of the slot is bad, unless he no longer is the X to Evans X.)

2) Coach Arians publicly advocating for DJax to return...ugh (see above)

Godwin is an immense talent, who just needs the opportunity/volume, and he'll take off (especially opposite Evans.) I'm all-in, just wanted to give a heads-up, and I'm crossing my fingers I wasn't a bit early and Godwin's time is now B)

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 10:25 AM, BrianM said:

They'll be down 179 targets with a Humphries and D-Jax departure.    Godwin was nearly a top 25 WR before that happened, so this all seems to make perfect sense that Godwin is a WR 2 next year, right?

absolutely

Djax just posted on his twitter that he enjoyed TB, but things didn’t work out and he is now looking forward to his next experience. This may finally be the year godwin gets the volume we all have been hoping he would get. 

• Like 2

I'm sure they'll make an effort to balance out the offense, but as we saw last year when they proclaimed the same thing, its easier said than done.   If they can't finally solve their run game issues, and their defense continues its struggles to keep scoring down, we're gonna see another year of a pass-heavy offense.

While we’re getting giddy about Godwin let’s also remember OJ Howard will also benefit from the targets left DJax & Humphries left behind. There’s speculation that Arians will deploy OJH in the “Larry Fitzgerald role”.

Edited by Lamont Sanford
1 minute ago, Yanksfan06 said:

Humphries is on the Titans now.  Assuming they don’t draft anyone early, I imagine they will roll out with Evans, Godwin and Watson (another potential sleeper) in 3 WR sets. Plus OJ Howard at TE obviously.

Is Brate still on the team? He's a TD vulture at times.