NBC Sports Edge Forums

Maikel Franco 2019 Outlook

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Batting 5th again today (4/22). Barrels % is UP (10.4%) ... Exit velocity solid, but not spectacular (88.8) ... Launch angle is way UP (19.5) ... K% is way DOWN (8.1%) ... and BB% is way UP (14.0%)

He had a breakout second half last year but people didn't buy it.

Change of scenery guy.  Probably need a fresh start on a team that will give him 600+ uninterrupted at bats to see if they can get a breakout spark.  Otherwise he’ll likely be who he’s been, which isn’t that attractive in fantasy.  

14 minutes ago, fawkes_mulder said:

he's really frustrating, good peripherals but no faith with the coaching staff. apparently it's an "open battle" with Kingery for the 3b job.

Eh— depends on what peripheral you’re talking about. Basically I think you’re saying more that he has a good K%... at least from what I see. 

Hes never had a good Hard% or Soft% on fangrapjs. Pops out a lot. Pulls the ball a lot. I don’t like Franco. 

• tonycpsu changed the title to Maikel Franco 2019 Outlook

Yet Kingrey was way worse. I feel like if they didn't sign him to that long term deal. Its not really an open competetion. Yes, he's a better defender but he's been a bleh at best hitter since leaving AA Reading over 770 PAs ago. So its not a small sample of him being a 20+ K aggressive hitter with fringy power.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Might be batting 8th... was really hoping for 6th.  Still a good lineup and park mitigates that somewhat.  Where he is going seems about right (mid 200s, #24 3B in NFBC).  With position duplication that means a desperation starter in 15+ leagues, bench bat in large bench 12 team leagues; prob not worth rostering in short bench 12 team leagues.  

• Thanks 1

Top 6 guys in the Philly order are pretty much set in stone. He’ll be batting 7th or later all year barring a long term injury to a key guy. All time low price tag but also an all time low ceiling. Hard pass.

29 minutes ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

That and he's collecting walks where he never actually sees a pitch

I begrudgingly picked him late in an OBP league thinking his value would be lower... six walks already this year in 17 PA.  29 all of last year!  OBP .706.   

4 minutes ago, loro1991 said:

The HR was off the Scherz I think that definitely warrants being mentioned

He historically owns the Scherz - not terribly surprised to see him have a good night.

2 hours ago, bluefrogguy said:

I begrudgingly picked him late in an OBP league thinking his value would be lower... six walks already this year in 17 PA.  29 all of last year!  OBP .706.   

That's great. God I love early season data. 66% of his fly balls have turned into homers.

Crazier things have happened than Franco throwing together a 30/90 season.  I doubt walks will ever be a big part of his game but even some modest improvement could go a long way toward soldifying the rest of the package...

Edited by Weekday Warrior
4 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

That's great. God I love early season data. 66% of his fly balls have turned into homers.

Its significant when there’s a reason for the numbers. He’s getting intentionally walked and pitched around because of hitting 8th in a stacked lineup. His OBP is going to be higher than originally projected. 

9 hours ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

That and he's collecting walks where he never actually sees a pitch

Yeah, most of walks are IBBs..swing rate is still down a lot though. As you'd expect. Need to switch him and Herrera or he'll never see another pitch given he's swinging a hot bat.

Edited by Slatykamora