NBC Sports Edge Forums

Maikel Franco 2019 Outlook

What do we make of this? Hot start or breakout? Peripherals are all over the place so it's probably too early to read too much into what those are saying...

The bad:

28% IFF rate

24% HR/FB rate (obvs unsustainable)

The good:

0.72 GB/FB rate

0.190 BABIP (sure to rise)

1.83 BB/K rate ( LMAO bruh)

So again too early to make sense of anything here with both some negative and positive regression coming. But the early results have been outstanding.

You guys buying or selling?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Batting 5th again today (4/22). Barrels % is UP (10.4%) ... Exit velocity solid, but not spectacular (88.8) ... Launch angle is way UP (19.5) ... K% is way DOWN (8.1%) ... and BB% is way UP (14.0%)

He had a breakout second half last year but people didn't buy it.

On 4/17/2019 at 12:59 AM, bradwatson said:

What do we make of this? Hot start or breakout? Peripherals are all over the place so it's probably too early to read too much into what those are saying...

The bad:

28% IFF rate

24% HR/FB rate (obvs unsustainable)

The good:

0.72 GB/FB rate

0.190 BABIP (sure to rise)

1.83 BB/K rate ( LMAO bruh)

So again too early to make sense of anything here with both some negative and positive regression coming. But the early results have been outstanding.

You guys buying or selling?

You should back the intentional walks out of that BB number since he's hitting 8th.  When I looked a couple of days ago it was 4/6 non intentional walks to Ks.

You could also add IFFBs to Ks as they have the same affect as a K.

For the record I'm buying as the breakout actually started second half of last year.   

He really shouldn't be hitting 8th anymore though.

Edited by 96mnc
27 minutes ago, MasonBlue said:

Batting 5th again today (4/22). Barrels % is UP (10.4%) ... Exit velocity solid, but not spectacular (88.8) ... Launch angle is way UP (19.5) ... K% is way DOWN (8.1%) ... and BB% is way UP (14.0%)

All good things...

thispleasesme.gif

Also him batting 5th is significant to me. Yesterday he batted 5th but I figured it was only because Realmuto got the day off. Today Realmuto is back and they moved Hernandez down in order to move Franco up. Hopefully he continues to perform and sticks at the 5 spot where he should have much more value.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Finisher said:

Hitting around .200 in 100+ at bats for a bunch of my teams since his smoking hot first week or so.

Today may be it for me. Been awful since moving back to the 8-hole. 7 for his last 44 with 9 total bases. Yikes. 

Edited by MasonBlue
3 minutes ago, MasonBlue said:

Today may be it for me. Been awful since moving back to the 9-hole. 7 for his last 44 with 9 total bases. Yikes. 

Yeah, he's absolutely raping batting average. Just checked my team logs and he's in the .190s on a couple of my teams, didn't realize it was that low. He'll likely still hit 20 homers but it's worthless if it kills average. Also juiced ball has so many flukes out there hitting over .300, makes holding guys killing average just not worth it unless it's a deeper league.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone on this forum watch a lot of Phillies games?  What is going on with this guy?  His advanced metrics across the board are pretty much exactly the same as last season.  Some even better.  

Batting in the eight hold seems to be killing him.

• 2 weeks later...

He probably is a good stash in deep leagues.  I can't see him being on this roster much longer.  Phillies need bullpen help.

Would any team even play him every day though?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With the Phillies struggling the way they are I would look for Franco to be moved up in the lineup.  Realmuto will probably be moved down.

Last night : 3 for 4 with a bomb.

I can't believe I am saying this about a player but he needs to strike out more.  His K% is 11.9% which is top 5% of the league.  What he is doing now is not working.   He would probably benefit by giving up some contact to try and hit the ball harder.