NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ian Happ 2019 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

14 minutes ago, Dahk said:

Positive signs.  Last ten games:

9/34 with 11 Runs, 2 HR, 7 RBI, 3 Steals and most importantly 9 Walks to 6 Strikeouts.

If he can maintain his progress with the K rate, he should see himself back up shortly.  Only problem would be a position to play.  His best path is CF but Almora is starting to hit now.

Good to hear some positive signs. I still believe in this guy.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Using League Average, especially in the NL, is a bit of a fallacy no? I mean you have pitchers in that sample don't you?    And if we're talking fantasy, the "average" player and the "averag

He's been a post hype prospect like five times. 

For whatever it's worth, his career numbers at Great American Ballpark are crazy good.  .405/.576/.881 in 59 PA. 

He hasn't struck out in his past 6 games.  Last ten - 10 for 35 (.286), 9 runs, 2 homers, 7 rbi, 7 walks to 4 strikeouts, and 3 steals.

Hes ready to come back up, they just need to find a spot for him.  Shouldn't be too difficult with DeScalso, Bote and Almora soaking up significant AB's. Deep leaguers take notice.

He'll be up soon enough, but it's going to be hard for him to find consistent playing time with Bote, and Descalso playing so well and Russell also coming back into the mix. Maddon has so many players that he has to get playing time everyday his lineups are always fun to see. Almora is still a beast defensively in CF and he is finally starting to hit.. Happ will play a lot of 2nd base, also CF, LF, RF, 3B. He has so much pop and talent, I think he's going to figure it out.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, NoHablaIngles said:

Worth a flier. I am a sucker for post-hype prospects.

Happ was a top prospect and darling just last year.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, jmcampbe11 said:

And he's also still only 24.  With so many youngsters mashing in their early 20s it is sometime the expectation for every hyped prospect to do the same.  Plenty of cases where it took until 25-26 to figure it our.  His career OPS+ is still 108 even with a few absolutely putrid stretches.  

I am stashing down the stretch. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, einstein2u said:

can he get regular at bats

hard to say. It will be telling to see the role he plays early on. Unless Bryant's injury may be more serious...

5 hours ago, einstein2u said:

can he get regular at bats

I think that depends on if they're truly sick and tired of Almora, who has been one of the worst hitters in MLB who gets consistent at bats. Of course this is the same team who continues to roster Daniel Descalso and kept Russell around until perhaps the single most bone headed game in history forced them to send him down.

6 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

I think that depends on if they're truly sick and tired of Almora, who has been one of the worst hitters in MLB who gets consistent at bats. Of course this is the same team who continues to roster Daniel Descalso and kept Russell around until perhaps the single most bone headed game in history forced them to send him down.

They’re sick and tired of Almora at the plate. Look for them to acquire someone in the OF and make Almora a defensive replacement late in games. They still like his glove 

Value just dropped with the Nick Castellanos addition. 

Any chance he plays 2B? He played there quite a bit back in 2017. Robel just got sent down and highly doubt Kemp will be their everyday 2B.

Edited by Gryfter
8 hours ago, Gryfter said:

Value just dropped with the Nick Castellanos addition. 

Any chance he plays 2B? He played there quite a bit back in 2017. Robel just got sent down and highly doubt Kemp will be their everyday 2B.

Sure, there's a chance. Bote hasn't done anything to win the 2B job, but Zobrist has much better contact skills than Happ/Bote. I expect Kemp to at least get a shot there. Somebody has to take it & run for it not to be a 3 or 4-headed 2B platoon.

3 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Nice little run here, any thoughts on him and his playing time?

These next 4 games will be telling. Hopefully he sticks at 2B everyday...

He's going to get the majority of starts with Bote struggling and Kemp underwhelming a bit in a very small sample size. The real problem is Zobrist will be back in a couple weeks. Once that  happens we could be looking at a drastic reduction in play time.