NBC Sports Edge Forums

Yandy Diaz 2019 Outlook

1 minute ago, RoadApple said:

If I didnt know better , I might guess Kevin Cash hates Fantasy Baseball and is doing his best to avoid getting Diaz position eligibility.

Yahoo Yandy has 1B, 3B, what else we lookin for?

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have no sympathy for those who missed Yandy. The minute the Rays and Indians finalized that deal, we all should have immediately concluded: 1. Jake Bauers isn't as good as I thought 2. Yandy Dia

You're factoring in RW blurbs into your decision just like the very people you are hating on.  Are you the guy who likes a band until they become "mainstream" and then you don't like them anymore

[Foreword: No offense to you, you are just posting this guys tweet, this comment is directed to the Twitter personality, not you.] What a stupid tweet by that person, totally cherry picks stats f

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, dfstout said:

Yahoo Yandy has 1B, 3B, what else we lookin for?

I guess it depends on league settings but most leagues need 20 GP from the previous year and 10GP in the current season. He hasnt done either yet.

Just now, RoadApple said:

I guess it depends on league settings but most leagues need 20 GP from the previous year and 10GP in the current season. He hasnt done either yet.

Yea thats right, well hopin' its just a rest day...

9 minutes ago, RoadApple said:

As this is the case, since he didn't have 20 GP from the previous year, what does it take in the current season to gain elibility? Will he still earn it after he crosses 10? He obviously can't change last year...just wondering.

1 minute ago, RyanK said:

As this is the case, since he didn't have 20 GP from the previous year, what does it take in the current season to gain elibility? Will he still earn it after he crosses 10? He obviously can't change last year...just wondering.

Again it depends on your league setting but in most leagues once you play 10 games, you gain that eligibility for the season. If you play 20 games, you keep the eligibility for the next season. Hope that answers your question.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

He did get into a bit of a collision with Tim Anderson on Monday. It was a pickoff attempt at 2nd and he stayed down for about a minute, but stayed in the game. No idea if that's related to the early pull yesterday and being out today. 

Yea it might be. The guy looks like he could single-handedly defeat Thanos but hes a baseball player so minor collisions with middle infielders will keep him out of the line-up.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, RoadApple said:

Yea it might be. The guy looks like he could single-handedly defeat Thanos but hes a baseball player so minor collisions with middle infielders will keep him out of the line-up.

It’s baseball.  Mike Timlin missed the year because he hurt himself stretching. 

18 hours ago, billofwa said:

Gets goose eggs when they score double figs then sits when they score a bunch more.  F me. Nice timing for me to start him in a weekly.

Pham and Kiermaier are the only two true everyday starters on that team. Right field and all of the infield is virtually musical chairs. Whatever Cash is doing is working though.

18 minutes ago, Dislimb said:

Pham and Kiermaier are the only two true everyday starters on that team. Right field and all of the infield is virtually musical chairs. Whatever Cash is doing is working though.

Kiermaier and Diaz have both played 12 of 13 games, Pham has played all 13. I would say Yandy is an everyday player at this point because the game he missed was due to an injury.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, RoadApple said:

Kiermaier and Diaz have both played 12 of 13 games, Pham has played all 13. I would say Yandy is an everyday player at this point because the game he missed was due to an injury.

I probably should have specified a bit more on what an “everyday” player is on the Rays, as it is much more complicated than any other MLB team. What I meant by that is that Pham is penciled in at LF and Kiermaier at CF every single day. They are locked into their respective positions and barring any sort of injury or just an occasional needed day of rest, Cash doesn’t even consider sitting them or playing them elsewhere in the field.

Diaz is the “starting” third basemen as well as the “backup” first baseman and occasional DH. However, when the Rays are facing a RHP, there is no guarantee that he will play on any given day. Right now, since Joey Wendle is on the IL, he is playing more often than he normally will later in the year. By saying that Diaz isn’t an “everyday” player, I’m not insinuating that he is a backup. I’m just saying that he isn’t guaranteed to play each and every single day.

Against LHP, Diaz will play and usually lead off. But once they are fully healthy, he will sit against RHP more than most people think. It’s just the way that Cash is. Now, if he really breaks out and starts mashing a homer or two every week that could change. But as of now, there’s no way he will “start” in as many games as non-Rays fans/followers think he will.

Edited by Dislimb
34 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Well so far his launch angle and gb% have pretty much remained the same as last season 😕

His gb rate is slightly higher. But you can't say he's the same guy. He's hitting fly balls at a career high level. He's making less overall contact. He's making more soft contact. This is such a small sample it could be absolutely nothing other than meaningless noise. Or maybe it's data supporting the earlier article where Yandy talks about trying to hit more balls in the air. It's possible we're seeing a guy trying to sacrifice some contact skills for power, but it's resulting in a sporadic output as outcomes swing from one end to the other. He's already got 3 homers on the year. His fb/he rate is probably a bit too high right now, but it's currently in the range you'd expect from power hitters. For his career it's normally been closer to slap hitter levels. 

I still don't know what any of this means. Or if it means anything at all. But it MIGHT be pointing to an actual change happening. Or at least trying to happen. He might be the same guy he's always been. But we can't say that with any real confidence, because the underlying data doesn't all mesh with previous versions of Yandy Diaz. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Kramjam24 said:

Is it to early.to give up on him? Hasn't done much recently 

nah keep him and bench him if he's on a cold streak.  The lineup around him is starting to catch fire.  Adames, Kiermaier, Lowe and Pham are all hitting around him  He'll get hot again.

2 hours ago, Kramjam24 said:

Is it to early.to give up on him? Hasn't done much recently 

I’m gonna see what he is.  Chances are,no one on the wire has that hard hit% and exit velocity.  He has Baltimore the next 3 days.  Even his “nothing” days end up with a counting stat or 2 sometimes.  If the stats will suggest that no homers are coming after a few more weeks, he’ll be a free cut of mine for another project or a desperate need.

He’s getting a steady dose of meat pipers the next 9 games.  Good time to evaluate.  Bundy, TBA (Oriole arm likely loser, Cashner - 3 bums there, then one Porcello who’s piping extra nicely this year, Velazquez?, and then 90 MPH Sale.  Then it gets really ripe with the Royals putrid staff lead by Home Runs Bailey, Jacob Junis and likely another loser.  If he sucks during that stretch then that will be disheartening.  

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
8 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

He’s getting a steady dose of meat pipers the next 9 games.  Good time to evaluate.  Bundy, TBA (Oriole arm likely loser, Cashner - 3 bums there, then one Porcello who’s piping extra nicely this year, Velazquez?, and then 90 MPH Sale.  Then it gets really ripe with the Royals putrid staff lead by Home Runs Bailey, Jacob Junis and likely another loser.  If he sucks during that stretch then that will be disheartening.  

Yep. With Wendle still out, Diaz will likely play in almost all of those games. If he doesn’t play well during this stretch, he’s going to be buzzard bait.

4 hours ago, Dislimb said:

Yep. With Wendle still out, Diaz will likely play in almost all of those games. If he doesn’t play well during this stretch, he’s going to be buzzard bait.

Exactly.  He's a solid hitter, so I don't think the average should be an issue long term, but if he fails to do much this week with those matchups, then it will be time to cut.

It's definitely too early so say his start to the season was a fluke, so I would say hold for now, but there'd be no excuse given the matchups.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Fantasy Dork said:

HH% down to 36.4%, SH% at 25%, GB% up to 56.8%, Launch Angle at 4.3, XBA at .231, and EV outside the top 100 right now at 104 (90.3). Lastly,he ranks 145th in Barrels/PA % at 4.8

Not feeling great about him right now.

What source is this? And over what time period? This could be insanley relevant if this is s trend.

• Like 1