Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Yandy Diaz 2019 Outlook


Recommended Posts

Fangraphs: HH%, SH%, and GB%

BaseballSavant: EV, LA, , xBA, and Barrels/PA

These are all for 2019 year-to-date.

i know these numbers are all based off an extremely small sample size but I think the numbers have gotten worse over the last week or so, which seems noteworthy.

Edited by Fantasy Dork
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have no sympathy for those who missed Yandy. The minute the Rays and Indians finalized that deal, we all should have immediately concluded: 1. Jake Bauers isn't as good as I thought 2. Yandy Dia

You're factoring in RW blurbs into your decision just like the very people you are hating on.  Are you the guy who likes a band until they become "mainstream" and then you don't like them anymore

[Foreword: No offense to you, you are just posting this guys tweet, this comment is directed to the Twitter personality, not you.] What a stupid tweet by that person, totally cherry picks stats f

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, Baseball Batman said:

Quietly on pace for 28.5 home runs with a .373 OBP and an 11/10 BB/K rate. I'd hold.

 

I honestly LOVE well disciplined hitters.  If he doesntvhave any more power in the next couple weeks, then it's time to consider letting go probably - but for now I agree - plus he has hit cleanup and leadoff hasnt he? Those are both bonus lineup spots

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2019 at 10:14 AM, Cmilne23 said:

He’s getting a steady dose of meat pipers the next 9 games.  Good time to evaluate.  Bundy, TBA (Oriole arm likely loser, Cashner - 3 bums there, then one Porcello who’s piping extra nicely this year, Velazquez?, and then 90 MPH Sale.  Then it gets really ripe with the Royals putrid staff lead by Home Runs Bailey, Jacob Junis and likely another loser.  If he sucks during that stretch then that will be disheartening.  

When analyzing to cut bait always look at schedule first.  It’s easy to try and ride hot hands but odds are you’re picking up at end of a warm stretch.  So when you do pick up someone good and they have 3-4 bad games and you get frustrated check their schedule.  This one was very meat piper friendly.  Hopefully people kept and got these last few nice games.  More to come, Yandy has a great hit tool.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

When analyzing to cut bait always look at schedule first.  It’s easy to try and ride hot hands but odds are you’re picking up at end of a warm stretch.  So when you do pick up someone good and they have 3-4 bad games and you get frustrated check their schedule.  This one was very meat piper friendly.  Hopefully people kept and got these last few nice games.  More to come, Yandy has a great hit tool.

Oh yeah, an 0-4 followed by an 0-3 is soooo good... 🙄

You're not wrong otherwise though. 😀 I planned to hold through this week as well and then re-evaluate.  Two solid games in a row, so that's encouraging at least.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Oh yeah, an 0-4 followed by an 0-3 is soooo good... 🙄

You're not wrong otherwise though. 😀 I planned to hold through this week as well and then re-evaluate.  Two solid games in a row, so that's encouraging at least.

To be fair I posted that Monday.  They didn’t play Monday.  He went 1-2 1 run 1 rbi 1 bb yesterday and today went 2-4 hr 2B 2 rbi. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

To be fair I posted that Monday.  They didn’t play Monday.  He went 1-2 1 run 1 rbi 1 bb yesterday and today went 2-4 hr 2B 2 rbi. 

To be fair, I'm posting when I should probably be asleep for the night... 😀

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

He hit homer #5 tonight.

He's walking more than he's striking out.

His pull % and fly ball rates are at career highs (both of which are very important for power).

 

Yeah, his fly ball rate is still too low, but everything is supporting his claim of trying to hit the ball in the air more. This hype train still has open seats. Grab them while you can! 

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Yandy-man can! God I've needed this guy after owning Devers in the early going.

If he keeps up this launch angle, a 300/25 season is acoming. Crazy how he only hit one dong last year!

Edited by swfcdan
Link to post
Share on other sites

His career high in homers at any level is 7.  He currently has 6. His 31% hr/fb rate won't continue, but the data is still supporting his claims of trying to hit the ball in the air more. It looks like he's still struggling to consistently get his launch angle up and hit enough fly balls,  so there's more potential to be unlocked in those biceps if he can achieve his goals of getting it airborne regularly. 

ETA Maybe this is all just juiced ball results. But here's an actual quote from Yandy for those who missed it a few pages ago: 

.

“I’m not that type of a home-run hitter, but I’m doing better with my swing, trying to get the ball up in the air,” Diaz said. “And the results are getting there.”

Edited by AnonymousRob
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

His career high in homers at any level is 7. 

 

He currently has 6. His 31% hr/fb rate won't continue, but the data is still supporting his claims of trying to hit the ball in the air more. It looks like he's still struggling to consistently get his launch angle up and hit enough fly balls,  so there's more potential to be unlocked in those biceps if he can achieve his goals of getting it airborne regularly. 

Ive been watching a lot of his AB's and its pretty clear hes trying to hit the ball in the air more.When he gets to 2 strikes, you can see the approach change. Really cant argue with the numbers, hes been a very pleasant waiver wire surprise so far.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone know how difficult it is for players to actually hit fly balls once they've committed to a higher launch angle? Yandy had made the change mentally, seems like it's just a matter of putting it together physically now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, RoadApple said:

Ive been watching a lot of his AB's and its pretty clear hes trying to hit the ball in the air more.When he gets to 2 strikes, you can see the approach change. Really cant argue with the numbers, hes been a very pleasant waiver wire surprise so far.

That's how you are meant to hit. All these hitters swinging for the fences and K'ing with 2 strikes with runners on, drives me mad. Yandy seems to have a great approach right now and it's paying off. A high AVG/OBP hitter with good pop is really valuable nowadays, right in the heart of a very solid lineup too. Lots to like. Basically as many K's to BB's is very refreshing to see from someone who hits it as hard as he does. Buy, buy buy. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jyeatbvg said:

Anyone know how difficult it is for players to actually hit fly balls once they've committed to a higher launch angle? Yandy had made the change mentally, seems like it's just a matter of putting it together physically now.

Making any change to something that is already a habit is pretty difficult. Especially if that thing is hitting 90+ mph pitches.

 

But he's doing it. He's hitting a career high fly ball rate (granted still only 30%). But he's also pulling the ball at a career high rate of 38%. 

 

His launch angle is a pathetic 3.4%. But he's barrelling the ball when he does make contact at a decent 8.1%. I think what might be happening is a guy fighting against himself and old habits and we're seeing an inconsistent approach/results. His pull rate has been dropping back down a bit from even just a week ago. Maybe he'll revert back to his old self. Maybe it won't fully click over. Or maybe he becomes what was always hoped - a 30 homer threat with good average and obp.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...