NBC Sports Edge Forums

Greg Allen 2019 Outlook

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All that production should earn him a seat on the bench for a 47 year old stripe earner who’s done in this league. Indians following the Rockies model.  When you have cheap cost controlled talent DONT

3 bags tonight so far, 5 total for ST

For what it's worth Greg Allen in his best season in the minors last year at 25 years old barely had an 800 OPS and needed a .389 BABIP to get there I get that he's very interesting for this sill

5 hours ago, hailfire4 said:

didn't the Indians sign Carlos Gonzalez? he almost has to be an upgrade over those other guys.

Stick a fork in CarGo.  Indians being dumb. 

But if they make a deal with SD regards Kluber -- and blurbs say they are seriously talking about it -- THEN we are talking major blockage if they get someone like Renfroe back as part of the trade.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
44 minutes ago, arthurpete said:

3 bags tonight so far, 5 total for ST

All that production should earn him a seat on the bench for a 47 year old stripe earner who’s done in this league. Indians following the Rockies model.  When you have cheap cost controlled talent DONT use them, bring in retread veterans for .700 OPS ceilings.  But hey they lead prayer well in the locker and whip towels with elite exit velocity, can’t dismiss that.

• Haha 3
10 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

All that production should earn him a seat on the bench for a 47 year old stripe earner who’s done in this league. Indians following the Rockies model.  When you have cheap cost controlled talent DONT use them, bring in retread veterans for .700 OPS ceilings.  But hey they lead prayer well in the locker and whip towels with elite exit velocity, can’t dismiss that.

well, they did release Matt Joyce yesterday, there is hope

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

For what it's worth Greg Allen in his best season in the minors last year at 25 years old barely had an 800 OPS and needed a .389 BABIP to get there

I get that he's very interesting for this silly game we play and standard formats award 25% of a hitters value to their SB total when thats worth generally less than 1% of their real life, but most likely, Greg Allen is a jabroni in real life baseball.

Signing Cargo for like 2-3 million is basically free.  I know, I know, that's a lot of money, I would love to make 2-3 million this year, whatever. It's pennies for that org who is already cheap. In his tiny sample size last year Allen was a negative defender and batter. 

If he gets some PT, as fantasy owners we should certainly use him for what he's worth, but I'm not ready to pretend that if the Indians don't play Allen, that it's some sort of tragedy,

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 2

He's an interesting fantasy player.  Speed is hard to find and he has 40 SB upside with playing time.  He's not a zero at the plate either in that he's hit for a decent avg in the minors  and has high OBP skills, albeit with no power. The  roster is kinda a mess, specifically the OF. Still, if he could find a regular role he could be late round or waiver wire gold.  It looks like a situation that is going to need a month or so to work itself out. 

Manager Terry Francona suggested Sunday that Allen will likely be a reserve outfielder for the Indians to begin the season, barring any personnel changes prior to Opening Day, Mandy Bell of MLB.com reports. "I don't want [Tyler] Naquin and [Jake] Bauers to just be strictly platoon guys because I don't think it's healthy for them," Francona said. "...We'll see. We don't want anybody ever just sitting, but [Allen] has the ability to pinch-run, to do things like that."

5 minutes ago, Sidearmer said:

Indians sign Cameron Maybin...Another garbage OF to further muddy the situation.

Bauers was the starting LF on Opening Day.

There's just very little chance this ends well.

Because Hanley Ramirez, Tyler Naquin, and Cameron Maybin are on the team? Keeping in mind I’m not holding in shallow leagues, but Deep Leagues this player compliment is so hilariously lackluster. Tyler Naquin batting 3rd on OD should have Indians fans boycotting the franchise. 

His average minor league FB distance in 2016 and 2017 ran between 270 and 290. So yeah. If his power output is comparable to Billy Hamilton. He's not going to be much.

His FB distance was climbing from August til the end of the this year. Over 300. Which isn't sexy, but there is potential into becoming a legit gap to gap hitter who could poke 8-10 HRs. Where the OBP would start to naturally rise given his approach.

If the Indians Offense keeps putting up zero's and ones. They are going to shuffle things until they find guys who can hit. I'm not really worried about him getting opportunity IF IF IF he hits.  Which he didn't last year, but shows hints of if given a chance this year. IMO

On 3/25/2019 at 5:07 PM, kidtwentytwo said:

Manager Terry Francona suggested Sunday that Allen will likely be a reserve outfielder for the Indians to begin the season, barring any personnel changes prior to Opening Day, Mandy Bell of MLB.com reports. "I don't want [Tyler] Naquin and [Jake] Bauers to just be strictly platoon guys because I don't think it's healthy for them," Francona said. "...We'll see. We don't want anybody ever just sitting, but [Allen] has the ability to pinch-run, to do things like that."

Hey Terry Francona you should be playing Greg Allen. He batted .354 in spring with 17 hits, second most on team. The OF should be Bauers, Martin & Allen. 

Also for anyone who actually needs proof... 

in 171 Career ABs v 4SFBs, Tyler Naquin has a .281 SLG%, 1 HR, and 86 Ks. 

Woofwoofwoofwoofwoof. Oooooo

Naquin is a bit game bred, and that’s why ballplayers like him. But how the f--- is he STARTING for a team let alone battin third. I’m losing respect for tito too. Ridiculousness. I wouldn’t want Tyler Naquin in a platoon either, but that’s because he’s a pine rider. 

Sorry not sorry. Like I am to an extent, but it’s like... not to be this way... but it’s not my fault he’s being put in a situation he just should not be in to open him up for criticism. Naquin doesn’t suck. But he does suck if you make him a 3-Hole hitter. Atrocious decision making. 

Edited by taobball
Just now, murraygd13 said:

But they have Luplow, Maybin and CarGo, so who knows who gets the playing time.

Free. Has upside. CarGo didn't even make the lineup. Francona will figure it out eventually. If not. Free. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, taobball said:

Free. Has upside. CarGo didn't even make the lineup. Francona will figure it out eventually. If not. Free. 

A roster spot has value. Depends on who you'd have to drop for him.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, murraygd13 said:

A roster spot has value. Depends on who you'd have to drop for him.

Thank you. I didn't realize that. /s

Of course it does. If you're in a 10-Team league, please ignore. In a deep league, if you're lacking speed, there are few better SB opps I see. 

Edited by taobball
9 minutes ago, taobball said:

Cargo should eventually be the everyday RF.

7 minutes ago, taobball said:

Should as in you believe the Indians are going that direction or you think they should be going in that direction? 

Fair question.   

I'd give him a shot to see if there's anything left.  But this is where the scouts that are watching him take BP everyday would know best.