NBC Sports Edge Forums

Compensatory Draft Picks

The Patriots get more draft picks ... just ‘cause????

The formula according to USA Today is:

“Compensatory picks are awarded by the league based on eligible free agents lost and are "determined by a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors," according to the NFL.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2019/02/22/nfl-draft-compensatory-picks-2019-patriots-rams/2953358002/

I’m surprised there ista provision in here about the dog eating a playbook.

i guess I will be drafting several Patriot and Rams players again since their teams will be stacked.

• Like 1

This happens often for the Patriots because they have a tendency to cycle through mid-tier veterans they acquire via pick-swaps who they then release in droves.  It’s definitely not gaming the system, but it is surprising that more teams don’t do this.

The whole system, intended to provide parity, now does the opposite: “Teams who draft well use their cap space to extend their own players (no negative effect on comp picks) and they get comp picks when other teams sign their former players in free agency.”

3 minutes ago, BMcP said:

The whole system, intended to provide parity, now does the opposite: “Teams who draft well use their cap space to extend their own players (no negative effect on comp picks) and they get comp picks when other teams sign their former players in free agency.”

Agreed...especially when they won’t divulge the formula that determines the picks.

• Like 1

My guess...there would be more owners asking to eliminate these comp picks if these players actually turned out much to be much better talents than the UDFAs brought in.

If you compare the all-time compensatory players vs the all-time undrafted players, the more impressive list is the latter.

57 minutes ago, psygolf said:

Agreed...especially when they won’t divulge the formula that determines the picks.

The formula is based on snap counts in the regular and post season as well as how well the player grades, then how much they sign for in the regular season.   Rams got 2 3rds because they lost two of the top 5 FAs by money in Johnson and Watkins.  They could have lost one if Suh wasn't cut by the Dolphins and was an UNRESTRICTED free agent.  Instead, he was and he doesn't count against the formula.  The reason good teams get more compensation picks is because they are better able to let aging talent walk.  It's not their fault other teams are paying those FAs top 5 salaries in FA.  I mean, everyone has the same cap number.  All teams work within that framework.  Rams signed Suh and then traded for everyone because they knew they would get a few compensation picks.  Patriots do the same thing.  Only reason other teams aren't is because they either don't have the talent to actually lose a player and not worry about it, or they sign unrestricted FAs to fill positions which works against them in this process.  An example.  Jimmy Graham would have netted the Seahawks a 4th round compensation pick.  Because they signed so many unrestricted FAs, even if they didn't do much THIS year, they played a good amount the year before.  They lost the 4th round pick because they signed other players.

If you took this away, all you would get is teams who aren't in competition at the deadline would trade every expiring contract to teams competing.  I mean, there's no reason to hold onto them if you know they won't sign with you and you aren't getting anything back by losing them.  It would also increase the use of the franchise tag which players love so much.  There would be so many teams signing a tag then trading them.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

The formula is based on snap counts in the regular and post season as well as how well the player grades, then how much they sign for in the regular season.   Rams got 2 3rds because they lost two of the top 5 FAs by money in Johnson and Watkins.  They could have lost one if Suh wasn't cut by the Dolphins and was an UNRESTRICTED free agent.  Instead, he was and he doesn't count against the formula.  The reason good teams get more compensation picks is because they are better able to let aging talent walk.  It's not their fault other teams are paying those FAs top 5 salaries in FA.  I mean, everyone has the same cap number.  All teams work within that framework.  Rams signed Suh and then traded for everyone because they knew they would get a few compensation picks.  Patriots do the same thing.  Only reason other teams aren't is because they either don't have the talent to actually lose a player and not worry about it, or they sign unrestricted FAs to fill positions which works against them in this process.  An example.  Jimmy Graham would have netted the Seahawks a 4th round compensation pick.  Because they signed so many unrestricted FAs, even if they didn't do much THIS year, they played a good amount the year before.  They lost the 4th round pick because they signed other players.

If you took this away, all you would get is teams who aren't in competition at the deadline would trade every expiring contract to teams competing.  I mean, there's no reason to hold onto them if you know they won't sign with you and you aren't getting anything back by losing them.  It would also increase the use of the franchise tag which players love so much.  There would be so many teams signing a tag then trading them.

Is it actually a historical case that good teams dominate the dolling out of comp-picks?

I’ll take your word on this,  because I do not believe it has a great effect on team’s ability to maintain their talent level, which is the reason I do not care enough to look it up.

2 hours ago, psygolf said:

True.   You can’t really call it “3rd rd talent” ...these picks come in between the 3rd & 4th rd.

Speaking of the Patriots and the value of picks between the 3rd and 4th round, wasn’t Tom Brady drafted with the first pitck in the 4th round?

16 minutes ago, FreakFries said:

So it is kind of relevant that the NFL awards the Pats a pile of compensatory picks like they’re roughing the passer calls to Tom Brady 

Not really...

Sure, it looks like it lessens the blow of not being able to keep your players that test FA on paper...but in the end it still comes down to picking the right players, then coaching them.

I’ve yet to come across an evaluation that lauds what certain teams have been able to do with their comp picks over the years.

From cbssports

“The Cowboys and Packers have actually become experts at acquiring compensatory picks. Since the league started handing them out in 1994, the Packers have been given 42, while the Cowboys have been given 41. Only the Ravens have been given more compensatory picks (49) over the past 24 years.“