NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Andrew Heaney 2019 Outlook

buster444

14 hours ago, Kramjam24 said:

Is this guy worth picking up and holding on to? I'm reading he had ace like  stuff

It depends on your league and roster, but in deeper leagues he's totally worth a flyer.  He's got a significant injury history, but last year he really took a step forward imo.  There were times where he looked like a front of the rotation arm.  He's lost a lot of development time, or innings, with the injuries so he was a guy I thought could maybe take the next step this year but then the elbow started barking.  If you're in need and have the room I'd take a flyer for sure.

15 hours ago, Kramjam24 said:

Is this guy worth picking up and holding on to? I'm reading he had ace like  stuff

Yeah I'd mostly echo what @dicka24says...he's a very nice SP3 type when he's right, not ace type numbers but he has plenty of stuff from the left side...basically was able to break-thru last year when he finally had some solid health. For reference I kept him--even knowing about the elbow issues--in a 12 team points format, with no IL spots because he has significant value to me. I'd expect a rehab assignment soon and for him to be ready (pending no further setbacks) by about Memorial Day or so. He's still just 27 yrs old and has a 1st Rd (real MLB draft) pedigree. Also a great defense behind him and a good home park/div to pitch in.

• Like 3

Heaney (elbow) is expected to soon begin a rehab assignment which should last for three starts, Maria Torres of the Los Angeles Times reports.

Heaney has been battling an elbow issue since early March. He threw three innings in an extended spring game Friday and will pitch for a minor-league affiliate next week. Assuming his rehab stint does indeed last three starts, he's tracking for a return to Los Angeles in late May.

• Like 1

Heaney will make his next rehab start at Triple-A Salt Lake on Monday, J.P. Hoornstra of the Los Angeles Daily News reports.

Heaney hurled four innings in his last rehab outing in an extended spring game and checked out OK, so he'll head to Triple-A. He's slated to make two starts for the Bees before being activated from the injured list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK things have escalated with his MLB return:

Andrew Heaney (elbow) could rejoin the Angels' rotation on Sunday versus the Rangers.

It will depend on how he looks and feels during a rehab start with Triple-A Salt Lake on Monday. Heaney is slated to throw around 75 pitches in that outing.

2 hours ago, King_of_Kings said:

Threw 4.1 scoreless innings with 10 strikeouts in his Triple A game today.  Was limited to 73 pitches. 

Whoa. I'm kinda hyped now.

AAA Salt Lake is no joke of a park. I'll take the plunge. I'm sure the sample size is too small with the injury but are there any reports/analysis that support a step forward? Uptick in velocity, working on a new pitch, "best shape of my life" etc?

[...]  He was pretty good last year.  The final numbers aren't eye opening, or don't scream greatness, but if you followed him closely like I did you saw a lot of really good starts from a guy who hasn't really pitched much the last few years.   He was a target for me in the draft till his elbow started barking.  If he is available he's totally worth a flyer.  He has SP3 type upside, but should be viewed as an excellent depth arm, or streaming option.  A guy you plug into that SP5 mix at the very least.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

Well, that'll work: 5IP 2H (both HRs to good hitters) 2ER 1BB 8K

Chart looks like he's basically back to last years goodness:

FB (sinker) sat 93MPH and touched 96, pitch was darting and diving with all kinds of movement (both vert and horizontal) awesome 12 whiffs with it!

CU averaged 80 with good shape, tossed 17--9 strikes with 9 swings and 3 whiffs

CH just 6 were thrown but had awesome action to it and I am sure it will come out a bunch more as he gets stretched further

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2