NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jung Ho Kang 2019 Outlook

Two dingers today, so figured I'd get his thread started.

Has 6 ABs over the last 2 years, but was an impactful player when on the field in 2016 - 2017.

There's a wide open gap at SS but Pirates did say early in the offseason they did not want him playing there, so as it stands now he'd be on the weak side of a platoon at 3B (with Colin Moran). Not sure there's really an actionable move here for fantasy players other than to monitor him in Spring. If they give him some chances at SS I'll consider him in deeper leagues as my last pick (he's virtually free everywhere, ADP north of 350). If Moran gets hurt, I would have same reaction. This is his age 32 season and he's playing on a one year prove it deal, so there will be motivation here if you believe in that.

• Like 1

Interesting.  I've been out of fantasy baseball a couple years for a bunch of reasons, mostly personal. Now that I'm back, I've been checking in on all the guys I used to own.  He was one of them.

In 2015 he had a HR every 28 AB.  (421 AB, 15 HR) Came in 3rd for RoY.

In 2016 he had a HR every 15 AB.  (318 AB, 21 HR)  

Now hold on before you guys go crazy on me, I'm aware of the issues with the data.  Yes, I acknowledge that was basically half a season of AB.  Who knows if he could have sustained that pace if they gave him double the AB.  I know he is older now.  BUT, for FREE right now in drafts, I should point out that a HR every 15 AB is elite.  Top 10 last year, top 20 the last 4 years at the worst.  Combining both years it would be 20.5% which would have been good enough last year for #32 overall, between Abreu and JUp.  He is 31, 32 in a month, but he isn't THAT old.  IIRC he would get a little nicked up and they wouldn't play him, and they couldn't figure out who to start between him, Freese, and Harrison.  He seemed to bounce between 3B, SS, and 2B but they wouldn't let him get in a groove.

Then of course his legal issues, and the wrist surgery and now we are here.

I'm loving a late round flier on him especially if he can gain multi-position eligibility.  A guy who could hit 30 HR, at a .260 clip, while giving me some combo of those positions? For free?  Sign. Me. Up! 

• Like 2

If someone can take his keys from him he could have a nice season.  He’s got a legit hit tool.  He also has a legit likes to drive behind wheel after having 19 Soke’s tool.  For how late he’s going it’s hard to not take a flier on him.  Not like you’re investing a high pick.  

• Haha 3
7 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

If someone can take his keys from him he could have a nice season.  He’s got a legit hit tool.  He also has a legit likes to drive behind wheel after having 19 Soke’s tool.  For how late he’s going it’s hard to not take a flier on him.  Not like you’re investing a high pick.  

If I was his agent I'd refuse to continue representing him until he agrees in writing to allow himself to be "babysat" by an individual of my choice - at his expense. If he doesn't agree it's an easy walk for me.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I just started a Colin Moran thread and checked to see if Kang had one. If he stays clean, I believe he'll get PAs...maybe a mix of both 3B and SS. We'll see. But he has a crazy looking ST line right now...he has 4 hits in 26 ABs...all 4 have been solo HRs. Lol. He's also struck out 11 times in 26 PAs...probably just knocking the rust off because that's about double his career K%. 

Pirates with joke level moves. They hand Kang the 3B job despite a .156 average and a FIFTY percent K rate? Really? 

This was even dumber than giving Eric Gonzelez the SS job over Kevin Newman, despite Newman having a better average, better speed and even better defense. Though Huntington said Gonzalez got the job because of DEFENSE, Newman out played him THERE TOO. Does Neil not know we can look this stuff up? 

Such a bunch of disingenuous crap from Pirates brass. They should have just said, "Kang and Gonzalez are our guys no matter how awful they play this Spring". I'd have respected that more than the so-called "competition" dog and pony show. Good on Colin Moran and Kevin Newman (the deserving players) for the class the exuded while scrubs took jobs they earned (though Colin didn't have a good spring himself). 

Edited by kwolf68
10 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

Pirates with joke level moves. They hand Kang the 3B job despite a .156 average and a FIFTY percent K rate? Really? 

This was even dumber than giving Eric Gonzelez the SS job over Kevin Newman, despite Newman having a better average, better speed and even better defense. Though Huntington said Gonzalez got the job because of DEFENSE, Newman out played him THERE TOO. Does Neil not know we can look this stuff up? 

Such a bunch of disingenuous crap from Pirates brass. They should have just said, "Kang and Gonzalez are our guys no matter how awful they play this Spring". I'd have respected that more than the so-called "competition" dog and pony show. Good on Colin Moran and Kevin Newman (the deserving players) for the class the exuded while scrubs took jobs they earned (though Colin didn't have a good spring himself). 

Not at all a Kang apologist as a human being lol, but as far as baseball is concerned he is far from a scrub.  You can't judge any player one way or another off of spring training stats, especially someone like Kang who is knocking off some rust from his extended time off.  Moran is a bench bat and will never be a starting-caliber CI.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, El_Chingon said:

Not at all a Kang apologist as a human being lol, but as far as baseball is concerned he is far from a scrub.  You can't judge any player one way or another off of spring training stats, especially someone like Kang who is knocking off some rust from his extended time off.  Moran is a bench bat and will never be a starting-caliber CI.

I don't think Moran is all that either honestly, but there is more ST left to go, no reason to call the ball now with Kang with an obscene K rate. 

56 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

I don't think Moran is all that either honestly, but there is more ST left to go, no reason to call the ball now with Kang with an obscene K rate. 

Pretend for a moment they've seen Kang play in real baseball games before and think that's still his talent level but he needed to knock rust off.

• Like 2

Tue, Mar 19

Jung Ho Kang went 0-for-4 and fanned three times against the Tigers on Tuesday.

Advice: Incredibly, all five of Kang's hits this spring are homers; he's batting .156/.250/.625 with 16 strikeouts in 36 plate appearances. That's all the Pirates needed to see to make the frequent drunk driver their starting third baseman. He's 2-for-25 with 14 strikeouts during March.

(Rotoworld.com)

😂🤣

• Haha 1
37 minutes ago, Gumbo_Ghost said:

Tue, Mar 19

Jung Ho Kang went 0-for-4 and fanned three times against the Tigers on Tuesday.

Advice: Incredibly, all five of Kang's hits this spring are homers; he's batting .156/.250/.625 with 16 strikeouts in 36 plate appearances. That's all the Pirates needed to see to make the frequent drunk driver their starting third baseman. He's 2-for-25 with 14 strikeouts during March.

(Rotoworld.com)

😂🤣

How can he be 2 for 25 when he hit 5 homers?  Did 3 not count?

10 minutes ago, Hockey_Baseball said:

Yeah I can't wait to see someone blow a late pick on him in my drafts. Guy is done. Sad to make the comparison as a Jays fan, but it's going to look like Bautista's output last year, with half the walk rate.

How can you blow a late pick? By virtue of it being a late pick, it’s a pick taking a chance on someone that will be an easy cut if they fail...and most will.

Full disclosure, I “blew” a late pick on Kang to see if there was anything there with him. And if this carries over to the season, I’ll cut him loose. But as has been said so many times on this forum, these are ST stats, granted I haven’t been able to watch his ABs. But I’m not worried about one of my bench bats putting up poor ST stats any more than I get excited over any player putting up great stats (such as McMahon on the same team...both on my bench). 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

How can you blow a late pick? By virtue of it being a late pick, it’s a pick taking a chance on someone that will be an easy cut if they fail...and most will.

Full disclosure, I “blew” a late pick on Kang to see if there was anything there with him. And if this carries over to the season, I’ll cut him loose. But as has been said so many times on this forum, these are ST stats, granted I haven’t been able to watch his ABs. But I’m not worried about one of my bench bats putting up poor ST stats any more than I get excited over any player putting up great stats (such as McMahon on the same team...both on my bench). 

I think i'm still thinking in Best Ball mode, which is what I'm playing this year - you're stuck with your picks all year so I would rather take a shot on a pitcher late.

But from what I can recall, he did nothing to inspire confidence in his return to the minors last year, and I think he went to winter ball where he also did nothing. This spring looks like a continuation of that

1 minute ago, Hockey_Baseball said:

I think i'm still thinking in Best Ball mode, which is what I'm playing this year - you're stuck with your picks all year so I would rather take a shot on a pitcher late.

But from what I can recall, he did nothing to inspire confidence in his return to the minors last year, and I think he went to winter ball where he also did nothing. This spring looks like a continuation of that

Ah okay. Gotcha. 

As for Kang, I’m not expecting great things, but in a 14-team league with 28-man rosters, he was worth a 28th round pick, lol. Just in case. 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, LasTortugasFB said:

No one is saying he's going to be great, but in a deep league he's a nice pick in the later rounds. This guy slashed .255/.354/.513 in his last full season in the bigs.

Exactly, and you should be taking fliers on guys with your late round picks.  Obviously they don't always work, but while Kang has been dreadful so far, I still think he qualifies for the HR potential alone.

Again, he definitely has been dreadful, but you also can't completely write somebody off just because of what they've done in Spring Training.  Maybe he really is done, but I had no problem taking a flier on him.  If he ends up sucking, then I cut bait and move on.  It's not like I'm going to lose my league because I took a chance on somebody who could make a real difference once the games actually matter.

• Like 2