NBC Sports Edge Forums

Anthony DeSclafani 2019 Outlook

• tonycpsu changed the title to Anthony Desclafani 2019 Outlook
6 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

if Anthony DeSclafani is healthy in 2019 what should be expected?

A guy you can stream occasionally, maybe gets on a hot streak. Not someone you'd want to draft or have any long term plans for.

• tonycpsu changed the title to Anthony DeSclafani 2019 Outlook
  • 4 weeks later...

Sneaky guy whose value creeps up as overall SP innings creep down. His one decent offering is a knockout slider that really came to life late last season, and propelled him to a strong finish. With a meh FB and just one out pitch he's a classic twice through the order guy -- K/9 3.91 and WHIP 1.61 3rd time through the order really suppresses his overall. So his value kinda depends on a smart manager lifting his floor by capping his ceiling, but that's the trend. 

2nd half 9.25 K/9, 2.15 BB/9, 3.42 xFIP. He got unlucky in September with a 22% HR/FB and 56.2% left on base, which inflated his ratios some. But the peripherals stayed strong and have carried into a strong spring training. I'm buying a low floor back end guy who should provide K's without killing your ratios, with modest upside if he can sustain.

I'm carrying an 8th SP in some leagues, with one less MR to make room for these guys. Changes in game management limit their damage potential in the same way it limits others' upsides. SP3, SP4 & SP5s are getting compressed into a single tier, and one trick ponies like DeSclafani get a relative bump in value imo.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

His new curve was great in his first start. Left handers were a huge problem for him last year being just FB/SL. 

That curve got him 6 Whiffs off lefties alone. Looking forward to see how this new pitch mix works now that he has a weapon vs opposite handed hitters. May be back to 2016 form. Command was off, but it was his first start.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/20/2019 at 9:12 AM, bdy1 said:

Sneaky guy whose value creeps up as overall SP innings creep down. His one decent offering is a knockout slider that really came to life late last season, and propelled him to a strong finish. With a meh FB and just one out pitch he's a classic twice through the order guy -- K/9 3.91 and WHIP 1.61 3rd time through the order really suppresses his overall. So his value kinda depends on a smart manager lifting his floor by capping his ceiling, but that's the trend. 

2nd half 9.25 K/9, 2.15 BB/9, 3.42 xFIP. He got unlucky in September with a 22% HR/FB and 56.2% left on base, which inflated his ratios some. But the peripherals stayed strong and have carried into a strong spring training. I'm buying a low floor back end guy who should provide K's without killing your ratios, with modest upside if he can sustain.

I'm carrying an 8th SP in some leagues, with one less MR to make room for these guys. Changes in game management limit their damage potential in the same way it limits others' upsides. SP3, SP4 & SP5s are getting compressed into a single tier, and one trick ponies like DeSclafani get a relative bump in value imo.

Nice analysis 

K per 9 way up, K/BB ratio last year was better than his ERA suggests, hasn't allowed a run in 3 starts (posting this mid game). Missed the first Giants start but I'm not gonna miss the second in dailys. Time to swipe

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, pushaZ said:

K per 9 way up, K/BB ratio last year was better than his ERA suggests, hasn't allowed a run in 3 starts (posting this mid game). Missed the first Giants start but I'm not gonna miss the second in dailys. Time to swipe

Did you really need to jinx it 😑😑😑

• Haha 3
14 minutes ago, BustHerPosey said:

He made one mistake to Pablo or it would have been 0 ER on the day as well.

It turned out to be a mistake but it was a 95 mph fastball up and in. Sandoval just turned on it. Not many others probably would.

7 minutes ago, Mexal said:

It turned out to be a mistake but it was a 95 mph fastball up and in. Sandoval just turned on it. Not many others probably would.

If he didn’t throw that one pitch, or if Sandoval missed it, I wonder if these boards would be full of #stud and “top 20 sp ros” comments. 

On 5/3/2019 at 6:43 AM, whips02 said:

How about beyond next week?

If I’m not mistaken, vs Lad (5/17), @CHC (5/24)—> If he gets pushed up it would be. , vs Pit (5/29), @Stl (6/5), @Cle (6/11), Vs Hou (6/17), @Mil (6/22).

I was pretty excited about his newfound curveball, but Lad, CHC, Stl, Hou and Mil In 5 out of his next 7 starts doesn’t particularly help out. I might cut bait solely based on his upcoming schedule. 

• 1 month later...