NBC Sports Edge Forums

Kyle Schwarber 2019 Outlook

There was a ton of hype here last year, and in my opinion he sort of delivered, just wasn't otherworldly. Heading into this season, it seems the hype has significantly slowed down, so I am keeping an eye on him. To start, forget about him in weekly leagues as he will be a strict platoon player. He won't start against any LHP. And you wouldn't want to start him anyway. In daily leagues, you will get 4-5 starts from him each week, and in those starts you can expect elite power.

He delivered 26 HR, 64 R, 61 RBI, and 4 SB in only 428 AB. That is elite production on a per AB basis. He's going in the 180 ADP range, and there just aren't many other guys with that upside out there. His .238 AVG isn't a something that will destroy your team. He also walks a ton so he will do well in the R category (and is a monster in OBP leagues).

All in all, Schwarber is a great guy to have if you have a deep bench and the ability to swap guys in and out frequently. If you can rotate him in during the year, he can be an elite bench player. He's only valuable if you use him this way. The limited use is what drives his price down, but if you have the ability to max his stats he is a steal at these prices. Basically a 75% PT Joey Gallo.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

People see 26 homers in 400 ab and erroneously they extrapolate that over a full 550 ab instead of realizing that he's not facing lefties. Throw lefties into the equation and you'll get just a few more homers and a much lower batting average. 

1 minute ago, shakestreet said:

Once upon a time in 2017 these two had some really HOT Outlook threads. Two can’t miss hypes 

Kyle Schwarber & Ian Happ 

Schwarber had an Albert Pujols like minor league stint. The hype was understandable. 

As a Cubs fan who has followed him since he was drafted, there was never an expectation that he would ever be a platoon type guy that would have to sit against LHP's.  He was of the top kind of pedigree with an exceptional eye and hit tool and I'm not sure how they expect that to fully develop - while never facing lefty pitchers. When Anthony Rizzo came up, he struggled against lefties for 2-3 years, but he eventually got really good against lefties. In a couple years his splits were actually better against them. So it's odd for me to see the same organization punt the idea of him facing lefties and completely hurt his overall progress so they can play platoon with a nobody player like Mark Zagunis?!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TheForearmShiver said:

As a Cubs fan who has followed him since he was drafted, there was never an expectation that he would ever be a platoon type guy that would have to sit against LHP's.  He was of the top kind of pedigree with an exceptional eye and hit tool and I'm not sure how they expect that to fully develop - while never facing lefty pitchers. When Anthony Rizzo came up, he struggled against lefties for 2-3 years, but he eventually got really good against lefties. In a couple years his splits were actually better against them. So it's odd for me to see the same organization punt the idea of him facing lefties and completely hurt his overall progress so they can play platoon with a nobody player like Mark Zagunis?!

I'm guessing the difference between Rizzo and Schwarber is that the cubs were horrendous when Rizzo  was developing. The cubs probably don't feel like they can afford to do the same in their championship window, in what should be a very tight division. 

Edited by 2ndCitySox
1 hour ago, urban2014 said:

Well when he starts he has a great game.

Must start against righties and regardless of if he plays against lefties you should sit him. He's as straight forward as it gets. If you draft him then this should be expected. 

Edited by tonycpsu
  • 2 weeks later...

What are we thinking here? Feel like he's droppable in 10 teamers. Been high on him for years since I snagged him his rookie year (that C eligibility was so nice), but it just seems like he's topped off at a .230/25-30/70. He's struck out at a near 30% clip this year. 4th overall pick that has become a poor man's Daniel Vogelbach.