NBC Sports Edge Forums

Wade Miley 2019 Outlook

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2019 at 5:37 PM, Sidearmer said:

If he gains 4 MPH on his fastball then sure. Morton completely recreated himself. We can't ignore Mike Fiers, Joe Musgrove, Doug Fister, Scott Feldman etc. who remained mediocre. Just kind of crazy to me you would take Miley over even the deepest of flyers.

Morton always threw hard and gained velocity after he got away from some of the major injuries early in his career. Miley simply doesn't have that kind of stuff. 

1 hour ago, Piotr said:

Morton always threw hard and gained velocity after he got away from some of the major injuries early in his career. Miley simply doesn't have that kind of stuff. 

No he doesn’t, but whatever he has is working so far this year. We’ll see if he can keep it up. 

• 1 month later...

Anyone know if he’s due for major regression based on his advance stats? I’m in a position to acquire him but although he’s been really solid this year, he’s still Wade Miley and I’ve seen him blow up too many times in past years. 

22 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Anyone know if he’s due for major regression based on his advance stats? I’m in a position to acquire him but although he’s been really solid this year, he’s still Wade Miley and I’ve seen him blow up too many times in past years. 

Yes, all the advanced stats point to an ERA in the mid-4s. That said, I am comfortable with him being a reliable rotation member ROS. Advanced stats don't factor in Houston's elite defense. He has outpitched advanced stats for 2/3 of the season. I expect him to continue to do so, with perhaps some modest regression.

Moreover, he should continue to be a valuable piece even if his ERA climbs. He has a good shot at a win every start and his WHIP is low so he can help with WHIP and wins even if his ERA inflates. He is a JAG but Houston works wonders with pitchers to get the most out of them.

Edited by Ace_King
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...