NBC Sports Edge Forums

Brian Dozier 2019 Outlook

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After a horrible 2018 season I really wanted to dig deep on Dozier this year as I thought he could come at a significant value. He has been so consistently great from a fantasy perspective for the las

Hitting second now with Turner out.

Agreed...they will bail on their 32 year old former all-star 9 million dollar investment for an AAA masher. April stats are all that counts to the Nats

Posted Images

Just now, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

What the hell happened to this guy? He was a leadoff hitter with 40 bomb power and is now a scrub 7 hole hitter getting a 1 year prove it deal.

Life comes @ u fast ?

• Haha 1

I’m not a big believer in first/second half players but if you look back at 2016 and 2017 he had massively better second halves. 2018 might have been Dozier’s cliff or just injury but I’m not sure since I have never owned him I’ve never payed enough attention to know his injury history.

6 minutes ago, jahweedum said:

Any thoughts on this guy?  Is he done?  I mean, in my points league I'd be better off having an open bench spot!

Took a chance on him last year and was burned. No interest in him this year. Other than two big second halves 2 and 3 years ago he hasn't done much. He's older now and switching leagues, not much there to indicate any sort of potential bounce back.

14 hours ago, BleedRedsRed said:

I’m not a big believer in first/second half players but if you look back at 2016 and 2017 he had massively better second halves. 2018 might have been Dozier’s cliff or just injury but I’m not sure since I have never owned him I’ve never payed enough attention to know his injury history.

Background on my opinion:

I've owned Dozier in an Auction Keeper league for 5yrs now (Im not a Dozier fan boy/expert but I have been committed to him for the long haul) 

1. Dozier truly is a 2nd half player. I know you disagree with the theory of 1st half vs 2nd half players, but I would argue that it is very prevalent throughout baseball & Dozier is one of them. Dozier has always started slow and finished strong (except 2018)

2. Injuries - Dozier has played in +150 games each season for the past 5 seasons. Injuries have never been an issue. 

3. Value - He has always been a solid source of Runs batting atop the Twins lineup. Last season they shifted him into the 2/3 spots in the lineup, which caused a dip in his run production. The dip in HRs last year was not as concerning as his significant drop off in AVG. 

**In Sum - Dozier looks lost at the plate, as I mentioned above, Dozier is a 2nd half player & feel that it is far to early to give up on him in April. I am confident that the power is still there, but for the first time since I've owned him in 5yrs I am starting to prepare my Plan B for 2B. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Awful ST (means little) but it's straight carried over to the season...Howie is about to steal his jorb

He’s been downright awful, no denying that, but Howie can’t make it up the dugout steps anymore without pulling a hammy.

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, meh2 said:

He’s been downright awful, no denying that, but Howie can’t make it up the dugout steps anymore without pulling a hammy.

Yeah there's little doubt about that (with Howie)...he can be good-to-great when deployed properly (great reserve for NL) but it's really stretching him to expect daily play without injuries. I think Kieboom gets April and a bit of May to play 2B at AAA and if the D is OK and the bat is going, then it's his gig...

• Like 1
On 4/6/2019 at 2:01 AM, Jrick45 said:

I've owned Dozier in an Auction Keeper league for 5yrs now (Im not a Dozier fan boy/expert but I have been committed to him for the long haul) 

1. Dozier truly is a 2nd half player. I know you disagree with the theory of 1st half vs 2nd half players, but I would argue that it is very prevalent throughout baseball & Dozier is one of them. Dozier has always started slow and finished strong (except 2018)

2. Injuries - Dozier has played in +150 games each season for the past 5 seasons. Injuries have never been an issue. 

3. Value - He has always been a solid source of Runs batting atop the Twins lineup. Last season they shifted him into the 2/3 spots in the lineup, which caused a dip in his run production. The dip in HRs last year was not as concerning as his significant drop off in AVG. 

**In Sum - Dozier looks lost at the plate, as I mentioned above, Dozier is a 2nd half player & feel that it is far to early to give up on him in April. I am confident that the power is still there, but for the first time since I've owned him in 5yrs I am starting to prepare my Plan B for 2B. 

Ok then Sherlock, seeing as it is very prevalent, give us many other examples of 1st and 2nd half players? And explain the reasons why it occurs too. It's just a total myth, he might have had been hiding an injury or just had an unsustainable hot streak following it. No player can be relied on being a 2nd half player if they are stinking it up in the 1st half, I certainly wouldn't be looking to buy based on that.

18 minutes ago, swfcdan said:

Ok then Sherlock, seeing as it is very prevalent, give us many other examples of 1st and 2nd half players? And explain the reasons why it occurs too. It's just a total myth, he might have had been hiding an injury or just had an unsustainable hot streak following it. No player can be relied on being a 2nd half player if they are stinking it up in the 1st half, I certainly wouldn't be looking to buy based on that.

I would say Dozier is a very streaky player. Like all-time streaky. Some years he has a good 1st and a bad 2nd and some years its the reverse. He may have lost some bat speed and those days may be behind us quite frankly. I am hoping for the best as I feel he didn't get a fair shake last year being traded into a platoon with LA.

32 minutes ago, swfcdan said:

Mark Teixeria was a notorious 1st half (ice cold) 2nd half (hot) player during his career.

McCutcheon has always had poor April and Mays and heats up in June.

I'm sure they are many more but these 2 are just off the top of my feeble brain

29 minutes ago, jb_power said:

Mark Teixeria was a notorious 1st half (ice cold) 2nd half (hot) player during his career.

adam laroche? or was it nate mcclouth? 😆

33 minutes ago, jb_power said:

Justin Upton maybe!

I don't believe in first half/ second half players, but I do believe in streaky players and Dozier is definitely a streaky player.  At some point a bad streak of a streaky hitter will result in lost PT and I'm concerned it could happen with Dozier this year. 

1 hour ago, jb_power said:

One of the LaRoche brothers seemed to be one also except for the summer I added him.

On 4/5/2019 at 9:01 PM, Jrick45 said:

8 hours ago, swfcdan said:

Sherlock? lol Did I suggest adding him anywhere in my comment based on being a 2nd half player? lol nice deduction,Watson. 

As for examples: I think this argument more so applies to SPs vs everyday players as I feel some players are simply not built to withstand a full season of work. 

Chris Sale - Stronger 1st half player then 2nd half player.  Long season, high inning use has consistently drained this guy by the end of the season consistently throughout his career. 

Justin Verlander - Stronger 2nd half player than 1st half player (Yes, I know JV came out firing on all cylinders HOU last season but feel like he had something to prove after being traded the year before). Cold weather in Detroit in April/May played a factor as well as JV/Detroit's goal was always about winning the postseason rather than the first month of baseball; but for years in Detroit JV would start sluggish in first month or two of baseball vs how he would finish. Heck when Detroit traded him, many experts had him begged as being over the hill and yet he went on to contend for the AL Cy Young. He is one of the few SPs Fantasy owners (over the past decade) have been able to take to the bank for being consistent in June - July. 

David Ortiz - Ortiz was always a very solid player year around, but the guy seemed to always be at his best at the end of the season chasing a pennant. 

Here is a link for more examples - http://www.espn.com/fantasy/baseball/flb/story?page=mlbdk2k10halfallstars