NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ketel Marte 2019 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Automated message: This outlook thread for the 2019 season will be locked on 2019-11-28. Please finish any 2019 discussions here, and take any 2020 outlook discussions to the 2020 outlook thread . If one does not exist, feel free to create one. Thanks!]

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Here's my sleeper candidate of the year for 2019.

1. He will be the Arizona Diamondback's starting Center fielder this year essentially replacing AJ Pollock.

2. He will likely be batting leadoff for the Diamondbacks, a very profitable spot in the order.

3. He has always been uber-fast, but has had problems with stealing bases. Batting leadoff in a full season should force him to steal as many bases as possible.

4. If his power last year continues over, we could see great stats.

A possible projection:

80+ Runs / 15 Home Runs / 50-70 RBI's / 15-20 SB

That's not half bad for guy who isn't being drafted in standards.

• Like 2
  • Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's funny if true. Yeah, it could be a whole bunch of same old same old with Marte, but I like the changes in the second half. He's been going outside of pick 200, I love the redraft value here.

So basically he's reading this thread from 1-2 months ago.

I don't care if it's April 5th I'm doing my victory lap 

Posted Images

That's a really rosy projection on the SB side for a guy who's got a career 71% success rate and hasn't attempted more than 16 steals in a season.  I get that for some of his earlier years he wasn't a full-time player, but he got 580 PA last season and only tried 8.  What's going to change?  It's not like he was regularly at the top of the lineup trying to stay anchored on the basepaths so Goldy or Pollock could drive him in.

Great defender, but no standout tools on offense to drive his value.  Looks like an NL-only or maybe late round volume play in 15-team mixed to me.

• Like 1

Not really interested in him in redrafts but he’s a guy I plugged into DFS lineups a lot last year at home and against lefties (1.095 OPS). His splits were quite dramatic. He really struggled against righties.

Edited by meh2

I like taking dart shots at switch hitters who flash a little promise. Since it's developmentally hard to get 2 different swings going then one. So they can be late bloomers. Hicks is still improving his left handed swing into his late 20's.

Just like Hicks his right handed swing is way way ahead of his left handed swing (as any natural right hander would). Which isn't really desirable for standard formats since most his ABs will be left handed. 

.321 BA, 9 HRs and 28 XBH as a right hander in 212 PAs

.224 BA, 5 HRs and 24 XBH as a left hander in 368 PAs.

Really says it all. There is upside here if keep working on his lefty swing (Or ditching it)

Edited by Slatykamora
  • Like 1

He's fast but it hasn't translated to SBs yet for some reason. Doubt it magically appears this year. If there was a year for it to happen, though, it would be now.

https://www.pitcherlist.com/going-deep-the-kettle-is-cookin-pay-attention-to-ketel-marte/

Interesting article from Pitcher's List. Talks about a potential breakout to the likings of.....

Francisco Lindor. 

Probably won't happen, but it's a good read and there's a lot more potential here than some think. Makes for a fine MI option wih multi ellig and room for a breakout. I'm buying.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

Probably won't happen, but it's a good read and there's a lot more potential here than some think. Makes for a fine MI option wih multi ellig and room for a breakout. I'm buying.

Well for one more year maybe but in dynasties and keepers next year he will only be a OF or CF.  Wish they would use him some still at SS or even 2B to keep that multi-eligibility going.

2 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

https://www.pitcherlist.com/going-deep-the-kettle-is-cookin-pay-attention-to-ketel-marte/

Interesting article from Pitcher's List. Talks about a potential breakout to the likings of.....

Francisco Lindor. 

It's funny... last year this time, there were articles/comparisons to Jose Ramirez..

18 minutes ago, Adama said:

It's funny... last year this time, there were articles/comparisons to Jose Ramirez..

That's funny if true. Yeah, it could be a whole bunch of same old same old with Marte, but I like the changes in the second half. He's been going outside of pick 200, I love the redraft value here.

1. He's locked into a  starting role
  2. will likely have a premium lineup spot since it's a bad team.
  3. Eligibility at 2b, SS, OF, MI, UTIL
  4. will have some speed. 
  5. Is at a near perfect breakout age of 25
  6.  doesn't have much competition for PT
  7. at least one reputable site says his upside is potentially massive. 
  8. after pick 200!

A lot to like here. Brockpapersizer approved sleeper ™

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 6

Marte is a month older than Lindor, Don't think Marte quite has JoRam's feel to hit IMO. (he broke out at 24 technically)

Feels more in the prime Zobrist/Hicks athletic switch hitter grouping then those 2..but hey. Who knows. Zobrist Prime had 4 straight years of at least 34 HR/SB juice.

On 3/4/2019 at 9:45 AM, Big Tuna said:

i like him for the versatility as well this yr as he still will have 2B/SS eligibility along with OF by early season.....when he loses 2b/SS in a yr I wouldnt be as interested...

likely back to the infield 

2 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Wasn’t AJ known as a good defensive outfielder ?

Past tense yes. Not someone they’d want in CF on a regular basis now, but probably a decent corner OF currently. 

9 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

Past tense yes. Not someone they’d want in CF on a regular basis now, but probably a decent corner OF currently. 

Well looking at the other two Arizona  OF’ers Jones is the only one who has played CF on a regular basis. Peralta & Souza are corner outfielders. 

5 hours ago, shakestreet said:

Well looking at the other two Arizona  OF’ers Jones is the only one who has played CF on a regular basis. Peralta & Souza are corner outfielders. 

Jones is turning 34 this season and just can't cover CF any more.  The D-Backs are rebuilding and aren't going to sniff the playoffs this year so why play someone like that over a younger player who is your future?   Seems in this situation he is the 4th outfielder and will serve more as a mentor to Ketel.  Also Souza will always get injured so Jones may get a lot of ABs in Souza's spot as the season wears on.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Jones is turning 34 this season and just can't cover CF any more.  The D-Backs are rebuilding and aren't going to sniff the playoffs this year so why play someone like that over a younger player who is your future?   Seems in this situation he is the 4th outfielder and will serve more as a mentor to Ketel.  Also Souza will always get injured so Jones may get a lot of ABs in Souza's spot as the season wears on.

I can’t picture Adam Jones signing with any team as a 4th outfielder. You make it seem like once you turn 34 you can’t play outfield anymore. So my conclusion Jones is one of the starters in the outfield in Arizona because I don’t see him signing there if he was not promise a job. 

15 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

I can’t picture Adam Jones signing with any team as a 4th outfielder. You make it seem like once you turn 34 you can’t play outfield anymore. So my conclusion Jones is one of the starters in the outfield in Arizona because I don’t see him signing there if he was not promise a job. 

OT:  Adam Jones.  Well he didn't exactly have tons of offers coming his way.  He just did sign half way through spring training.  And for only one year which is not what most players would want.  So it probably was his only offer so I doubt he had any guarantees.

42 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

I think a 4th OF is exactly what he is. A 4th OF who is going to get plenty at bats by spelling Souza and Peralta on the corners and occasionally Marte in CF. As pointed out above, they just dont have any other options at CF or hitting leadoff so I don't see a lot of days that don't have Marte in the lineup . Jarrod Dyson was supposed to be the backup/4th OF but suffered a strained oblique and has missed most of ST. 

• Like 1

I don't like the sounds of this.

Marte may shift into a super utility role after the Diamondbacks signed veteran outfield Adam Jones on Sunday, Nick Piecoro of The Arizona Republic reports.

1 hour ago, murraygd13 said:

I don't like the sounds of this.

Marte may shift into a super utility role after the Diamondbacks signed veteran outfield Adam Jones on Sunday, Nick Piecoro of The Arizona Republic reports.

anytime you can sit your young promising player who had an 841 second half OPS, who is also a good defender, for Adam Jones, Steve Souza, or Wilmer Flores.... you HAVE to do it.

Did I mention the Dbacks also suck?

Adam Jones had a sub 750 OPS both halves.

0 percent worried. Marte will play almost every day. 

• Like 3