NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ryan McMahon 2019 Outlook

3 hours ago, Magoo said:

Yes unless something else changes

Could easily see Murphy being out longer or Desmond losing time to Hampson

Hampson is super util when everyone is back.

So ROS 450 AB's if healthy?

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Revisionist history. He was up the whole first month and hit .180 Avg, .517 OPS with 22 Ks in 60 PAs, 37%... his ISO was .020 ... he got send down because he was god awful. May 26 - Jun 20... He 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, NolanRyan said:

Doesn't ESPN require 10 starts at 2b? I count 6 including today. So I think 4 more games after today?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.fcgi?id=mcmahry01&t=b&year=2019

IDK how espn tracks it but thats all that matters, hes at 7 and now 8 after today in their system

EDIT: after looking Baseball Reference (link you gave) also have him at 7 games (8 after today), i think you are looking at the wrong chart on there my man

Edited by kmoore1521
7 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

IDK how espn tracks it but thats all that matters, hes at 7 and now 8 after today in their system

EDIT: after looking Baseball Reference (link you gave) also have him at 7 games (8 after today), i think you are looking at the wrong chart on there my man

Definitely possible i'm doing it wrong.

I saw 2 games as "1B, 2B" which made me think that he started at 1B and moved to 2B. .. which I didn't think would qualify. But maybe it does?

Edited by NolanRyan
1 minute ago, NolanRyan said:

Definitely possible i'm doing it wrong.

I saw 2 games as "1B, 2B" which made me think that he started at 1B and moved to 2B. .. which I didn't think would qualify. But maybe it does?

Yea any appearance counts as a game even if he moved mid game to said position, thats probably the confusion

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

Yea any appearance counts as a game even if he moved mid game to said position, thats probably the confusion

Yep you're right.

Hooray! 2 more games until 1b, 2B, CI, MI eligibility!

On 4/24/2019 at 2:33 PM, kmoore1521 said:

That's how Rizzo got 2B-eligibility in Yahoo a couple years ago, due to defensive shifts during games. 

Edited by Bandito
32 minutes ago, Bandito said:

That's how Rizzo got 2B-eligibility in Yahoo a couple years ago, due to defensive shifts during games. 

Getting way off topic here,but that defensive shift thing to gain position eligibility is complete bogus.  I remember years ago (in hockey) federov (a center) would play the point on the power play and became defense eligible after 5 games.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, smeeze said:

On the bench today. Hampson @ 2B

Weird line-up management. He played against a couple of lefties (which he's far weaker against) and then sat for a right for Hampson (who hits lefties better). seem like the guys should have swapped start days. But McMahon has been playing very regularly, so hopefully things pick up soon

1 hour ago, bluefrogguy said:

I'm hoping for a hot streak and then sell.  Sure Coors, but no speed and modest power.  ROS projections are 15 ish HR and .260 BA/ .775 OPS. Does have 2B eligibility finally though.  

Don't base all your decisions on projections. Might as well let the computer run your team at that point. 

29 minutes ago, DannyMcPot said:

Don't base all your decisions on projections. Might as well let the computer run your team at that point. 

No but I think starting with projections is the best place to start.  Then you can adjust from there with opinion. As far as McMahon, my opinion is that they seem pretty reasonable.  Maybe OPS seems a little low, but HR/SB totals seem about right, especially if he is going to split any amount of time with Hampson or others. 

4 minutes ago, bluefrogguy said:

No but I think starting with projections is the best place to start.  Then you can adjust from there with opinion. As far as McMahon, my opinion is that they seem pretty reasonable.  Maybe OPS seems a little low, but HR/SB totals seem about right, especially if he is going to split any amount of time with Hampson or others. 

I honestly don't even look at projections much. I look at what the player has done and what I believe are their assets for the future. He hit .355/20/11 with a 41/92 BB/K rate in 519 ABs in the minors. Was the best hitter in the league during spring training for what that is worth. And he plays multiple positions for the Rockies who seem more willing to play their young guys this year.

I'd give him some time to get going before I thought of selling him. With the juiced balls plus where he plays half his games, that hot streak might last for longer than you think. He's a potential stud just like most Colorado hitters. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, DannyMcPot said:

I honestly don't even look at projections much. I look at what the player has done and what I believe are their assets for the future. He hit .355/20/11 with a 41/92 BB/K rate in 519 ABs in the minors. Was the best hitter in the league during spring training for what that is worth. And he plays multiple positions for the Rockies who seem more willing to play their young guys this year.

I'd give him some time to get going before I thought of selling him. With the juiced balls plus where he plays half his games, that hot streak might last for longer than you think. He's a potential stud just like most Colorado hitters. 

Probably goes without saying (especially if you ask my wife!), but you're probably smarter than me...  I like to start with projections because there are just so many variables in play and i feel like they do a better job of assimilating them than I can.  I don't mind veering away with the gut but i like to keep that to a minimum.  With McMahon, the my guess the projections are looking at his MLB 2018 stats plus an adjustment for park factors in Albuquerque and the PCL, plus the question of PT this year. For me, I i have blind spots with guys I like and the projections systems give me some sort of baseline to work from.  But they can clearly underestimate (or overestimate) guys, too.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1