Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ryan McMahon 2019 Outlook


Recommended Posts

The Hampson v. McMahon battle is one of the biggest for fantasy consideration, imo.  Both having great camps, but every time I look at the boxscore McMahon has done something.  The Rockies have been inept in their use of him so far at the majors though.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Revisionist history. He was up the whole first month and hit .180 Avg, .517 OPS with 22 Ks in 60 PAs, 37%... his ISO was .020 ... he got send down because he was god awful. May 26 - Jun 20... He 

Posted Images

1 minute ago, BigPapi44 said:

The Hampson v. McMahon battle is one of the biggest for fantasy consideration, imo.  Both having great camps, but every time I look at the boxscore McMahon has done something.  The Rockies have been inept in their use of him so far at the majors though.  

 

Both have been really good. I think in this day and age there are not set guys going 160. 

I could see something like McMahon plays 30 games at 1st, 5 at 3rd then 90 games at 2B, giving him 125 games, which is a solid workload.

Hampson probably is playing 70 games at 2B, 15 at SS, then he'll be the first man off the bench in all other games as a runner/pinch hitter.

They will both get their chances, albeit not in a traditional role. Both are exciting talents. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kwolf68 said:

 

Both have been really good. I think in this day and age there are not set guys going 160. 

I could see something like McMahon plays 30 games at 1st, 5 at 3rd then 90 games at 2B, giving him 125 games, which is a solid workload.

Hampson probably is playing 70 games at 2B, 15 at SS, then he'll be the first man off the bench in all other games as a runner/pinch hitter.

They will both get their chances, albeit not in a traditional role. Both are exciting talents. 

 

I'm with ya, provided both get their shot.  There was an RW blurb stating that Mark Reynolds is likely making the roster as a backup for 1B and bench bat.  For me, that greatly reduces the likelihood that both make the MLB roster out of camp.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

 

Overall yes ST stats can be misleading, but I do look at K and BB rates. McMahon has about a 13% K rate and an 11% BB rate. Early, small sample size, but those are awesome numbers. What is he supposed to do? There are real competitions going on in ST for jobs, playing time, even making the team and rest assured those numbers are showing something. So far he is answering the bell. Of course, if McMahon was hitting .158 with a 35% K rate, that would matter either I guess. Or would it? Hard to say. He and Hampson are PLAYAS and I think have solid futures. 

If he was playing bad, yes it would matter because his MLB numbers haven't been good, it bodes well for him at this point but is mostly facing minor league pitchers. I want to see it from him against major league pitching, his track record is not very good at all

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

If he was playing bad, yes it would matter because his MLB numbers haven't been good, it bodes well for him at this point but is mostly facing minor league pitchers. I want to see it from him against major league pitching, his track record is not very good at all

His track record at the major league level?  If you followed this thread last season, you will know that McMahon was provided limited opportunity beyond a spot start here or there or the occasional late inning substitution or pinch-hitting at-bat.  Certainly not a good way to allow the kid to acclimatize to MLB pitching and gain any confidence or consistency.  It was completely the opposite way to handle a young kid, imo.  They should have just let him get more experience and everyday ABs in AAA if that's how they intended to use him.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigPapi44 said:

His track record at the major league level?  If you followed this thread last season, you will know that McMahon was provided limited opportunity beyond a spot start here or there or the occasional late inning substitution or pinch-hitting at-bat.  Certainly not a good way to allow the kid to acclimatize to MLB pitching and gain any confidence or consistency.  It was completely the opposite way to handle a young kid, imo.  They should have just let him get more experience and everyday ABs in AAA if that's how they intended to use him.

I disagree they were in the playoff hunt all year and got in, how long were they supposed to have a hole in the line up to let a kid find his way? They should have just sent him down, that I agree with you on and let him figure it out there not in the bigs with a playoff team. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, azeri98 said:

I disagree they were in the playoff hunt all year and got in, how long were they supposed to have a hole in the line up to let a kid find his way? They should have just sent him down, that I agree with you on and let him figure it out there not in the bigs with a playoff team. 

Then we don't disagree.  That's the whole point of my post.  You don't have a kid, that you are high on, sit on the bench and not give him any real opportunity to play.  I would think this is especially true, if like you said, they were contending for the playoffs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Raking. Rotoworld says hs's the favorite to start at second. Pretty valuable guy to get late in drafts. 

I've got both him and Hampson, but to be honest, McMahon tore up last spring too then couldn't hit MLB pitching. I'll believe it's real when it happens in the regular season. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

I've got both him and Hampson, but to be honest, McMahon tore up last spring too then couldn't hit MLB pitching. I'll believe it's real when it happens in the regular season. 

No doubt. Fantasy upside Hampson has a much higher ceiling because of steals. That being said McMahon is going much later in drafts, in a redraft right now I think I rather have McMahon at adp.

 

I think both get meaningful ab this year. McMahon is actually putting up better numbers this year than last so far.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

No doubt. Fantasy upside Hampson has a much higher ceiling because of steals. That being said McMahon is going much later in drafts, in a redraft right now I think I rather have McMahon at adp.

 

I think both get meaningful ab this year. McMahon is actually putting up better numbers this year than last so far.

 

This is what we though last year but Rockies messed it up. We'll see what happens, but either way its totally unpredictable to this point. But to your point McMahon being picked much later so he's the better value.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Sidearmer said:

 

This is what we though last year but Rockies messed it up. We'll see what happens, but either way its totally unpredictable to this point. But to your point McMahon being picked much later so he's the better value.

Yeah, not going to pretend I know with certainty. Still steadfast on Hampson has more 5x5 upside but McMahon is a better ADP. McMahon is going near pick 400 (free in a standard league).

I'm hoping that the Rockies learned that McMahon shouldn't be jerked around as much, maybe they didn't learn. I still think Desmond is a 0 for them, and while Tapia seems like an easy replacement, can McMahon or Hampson cover an OF spot if there's an injury? Seems like there's a lot of paths to playing time. Anyone in the infield gets hurts, they both play every day too.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Professor Turgeson said:

Saw this in a Denver Post article this morning. not sure if there is anything to take away from it, but it was specifically brought up in the article.

Worth noting: Manager Bud Black purposely used McMahon off the bench to see how McMahon would perform in that role. 

 

He did that a ton last year, what benefit will this have doing a couple times in the Spring...makes no sense. If he does good off bench, do they keep him on bench because he was successful??

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not a McMahon owner (I own Hampson), but I feel that McMahon will be given the strong side platoon to start. It's up to him to take advantage of it. Hampson has more versatility and better defense, which will likely get him in the lineup more and more throughout the season. I wouldn't overreact to anything for either player. Just stash and let it play out (if you can). FWIW, I think McMahon's situation will be evident quicker than Hampson's. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Professor Turgeson said:

Saw this in a Denver Post article this morning. not sure if there is anything to take away from it, but it was specifically brought up in the article.

Worth noting: Manager Bud Black purposely used McMahon off the bench to see how McMahon would perform in that role. 

coach speak means nothing... one time in the last 6 games that I went back that McMahon came off the bench. Hampson hasn't played McMahon started 5 out of those 6 games. Hampson owners need to step off the ledge and jump

Link to post
Share on other sites

 This could be a season mirroring the Zobrist/Baez scenario from a couple years back.    Both getting a decent amount of playing time and some good combined counting stats, but not quite settled probably until next year...  

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, tm30 said:

 This could be a season mirroring the Zobrist/Baez scenario from a couple years back.    Both getting a decent amount of playing time and some good combined counting stats, but not quite settled probably until next year...  

might not be any settling in with rodgers on the way

Link to post
Share on other sites

McMahon has played 1B some in Spring Training. What are the chances he platoons with Murphy instead of Hampson? Murphy isn't exactly lighting it up this spring. And Murphy only played 91 games last year. Maybe that is part of the plan too so Murphy does not break down again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, rabaak said:

McMahon has played 1B some in Spring Training. What are the chances he platoons with Murphy instead of Hampson? Murphy isn't exactly lighting it up this spring. And Murphy only played 91 games last year. Maybe that is part of the plan too so Murphy does not break down again.

I have to believe if Murphy is healthy he the regular first baseman. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, shakestreet said:

I have to believe if Murphy is healthy he the regular first baseman. 

So Murphy Plays 5 days at first. McMahon two at first and 3 at 2nd, while Hampson plays 4 at second and maybe some in center field or left field. Hampson has played both this spring.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...