NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ryan McMahon 2019 Outlook

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Revisionist history. He was up the whole first month and hit .180 Avg, .517 OPS with 22 Ks in 60 PAs, 37%... his ISO was .020 ... he got send down because he was god awful. May 26 - Jun 20... He 

Posted Images

2 hours ago, rabaak said:

So Murphy Plays 5 days at first. McMahon two at first and 3 at 2nd, while Hampson plays 4 at second and maybe some in center field or left field. Hampson has played both this spring.

How did you come with this hypothesis? 

Fact or fantasy 

Hampson has been out for a week hurt.  Plays for the 1st time today and starts in.....LF.  (Valaika was at 2nd so McMahon could have a day off)  Reading between the lines this is McMahon's job.  If Hampson had a shot they would have played him at 2nd today.  This is solely my opinion.  My keepers are due tonight and I am acting accordingly...

28 minutes ago, The Trop said:

Hampson has been out for a week hurt.  Plays for the 1st time today and starts in.....LF.  (Valaika was at 2nd so McMahon could have a day off)  Reading between the lines this is McMahon's job.  If Hampson had a shot they would have played him at 2nd today.  This is solely my opinion.  My keepers are due tonight and I am acting accordingly...

It's actually nice to see Hampson get some OF reps, I feel like he will be needed there this season too. Both guys should get a lot of play. I think McMahon the strong side 2b platoon for now, and Hampson will rotate. Between Murphy and Dahl, expect some injuries and expect Ian Desmond to remain one of the worst players in baseball.

15 hours ago, rabaak said:

So Murphy Plays 5 days at first. McMahon two at first and 3 at 2nd, while Hampson plays 4 at second and maybe some in center field or left field. Hampson has played both this spring.

How often are they playing 7 days a week? Not often.

• Like 2

Lineup today:

SS G. Hampson R
CF Ian Desmond R
DH D. Murphy L
1B M. Reynolds R
LF David Dahl L
3B Pat Valaika R
2B Ryan McMahon L
RF Noel Cuevas R
C Tony Wolters L

McMahon getting the reps at 2B again, Hampson at leadoff

Edited by Sidearmer

From the MLB site

These 9 spring stat lines shouldn't be ignored

Ryan McMahon, Rockies
Spring line: .462/.511/.821, 2 HR, 5 K in 39 AB

You might recognize McMahon from the back-to-back game-winning home runs he hit against the Dodgers last August, but a .683 OPS and 31.7 percent strikeout rate across 202 plate appearances suggested he still had a lot to learn at the big league level. DJ LeMahieu is in pinstripes now, meaning McMahon is a prime candidate for playing time at second base along with two of Colorado’s top three prospects in Garrett Hampson and Brendan Rodgers.

Teammates and coaches have raved about the beauty of McMahon’s swing, and he made adjustmentswith his hand positioning last season that he hopes will carry over.

“Last year, there were some hits that you might say aren’t the quality of this year,” manager Bud Black told the Denver Post. “Now he’s ripping the ball. He’s taking big, aggressive swings and the ball is coming off his bat hot. He’s hitting it to all fields. It’s been impressive.”

McMahon’s league-best 1.332 OPS won’t carry over to the regular season, but he could take the lion’s share of at-bats at second if some of that plate discipline does.

• Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

In what looks to be what could be an opening day starting lineup, McMahon at 2B and hitting 6th. 

Is that really Jose Iglesias hitting 3rd for the Reds?  Never thought I'd see that, even in a A ball game!