NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ryan McMahon 2019 Outlook

Possibly irrelevant but Ryan McMahon was given the Abby Greer award for the Rockies' Spring Training MVP.

https://www.kktv.com/content/sports/Colorado-Rockies-name-Ryan-McMahon-the-2019-Abby-Greer-Award-winner-507576711.html

FantasyPros also made note of McMahon's continued starts at second base, arguing an indication of an everyday role.

https://www.fantasypros.com/mlb/news/206064/ryan-mcmahon-drives-three-on-saturday.php

• Like 1
  • Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Revisionist history. He was up the whole first month and hit .180 Avg, .517 OPS with 22 Ks in 60 PAs, 37%... his ISO was .020 ... he got send down because he was god awful. May 26 - Jun 20... He 

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

Possibly irrelevant but Ryan McMahon was given the Abby Greer award for the Rockies' Spring Training MVP.

https://www.kktv.com/content/sports/Colorado-Rockies-name-Ryan-McMahon-the-2019-Abby-Greer-Award-winner-507576711.html

FantasyPros also made note of McMahon's continued starts at second base, arguing an indication of an everyday role.

https://www.fantasypros.com/mlb/news/206064/ryan-mcmahon-drives-three-on-saturday.php

I think Hampson will slide in as a super-utility guy. I wish there was room for both McMahon and Hampson, but I think Hampson will get plenty of Abs, against many lefties at 2B, then other spots as needed. McMahon has raked beyond belief this Spring.

Just now, kwolf68 said:

I think Hampson will slide in as a super-utility guy. I wish there was room for both McMahon and Hampson, but I think Hampson will get plenty of Abs, against many lefties at 2B, then other spots as needed. McMahon has raked beyond belief this Spring.

This seems like the most likely scenario. What I am most curious about is how many starts will Hampson steal from McMahon? Will they bench McMahon 2-3 times a week? If McMahon can carryover his bat to the regular season, I imagine he might be able to lock himself in for five starts. Also, will they shift McMahon over to 1st when Daniel Murphy has a day off? It will be interesting.

Just now, PhilaFanBoy said:

This seems like the most likely scenario. What I am most curious about is how many starts will Hampson steal from McMahon? Will they bench McMahon 2-3 times a week? If McMahon can carryover his bat to the regular season, I imagine he might be able to lock himself in for five starts. Also, will they shift McMahon over to 1st when Daniel Murphy has a day off? It will be interesting.

Yes, McMahon will backup Murphy and Nolan on the corners. Nolan will get very few days off, but Murphy will get them due to age and declining durability. Days Murphy is off and a lefty is on the mound Mark Reynolds will most likely get the starts at 1B. Reynolds presence worries me. If he's in just as a bench bat fine, but we saw last year Holliday came up and almost immediately got full time run.I worry the first bit of scuffle from McMahon or Hampson we'll never see them again and Black's latest toy, Reynolds, will be inserted into lineup. 

Early in camp they were saying Reynolds may play some 2B, which reinvigorated that age old question, WHY. 

31 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

27 minutes ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

Always feels like there are a gross amount of lefties in the NL West too...gonna make for some rough weekly periods when they catch the Dodgers and Pads

37 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

Yes, McMahon will backup Murphy and Nolan on the corners. Nolan will get very few days off, but Murphy will get them due to age and declining durability. Days Murphy is off and a lefty is on the mound Mark Reynolds will most likely get the starts at 1B. Reynolds presence worries me. If he's in just as a bench bat fine, but we saw last year Holliday came up and almost immediately got full time run.I worry the first bit of scuffle from McMahon or Hampson we'll never see them again and Black's latest toy, Reynolds, will be inserted into lineup. 

Early in camp they were saying Reynolds may play some 2B, which reinvigorated that age old question, WHY. 

Please stop with the Reynolds at 2nd narrative. Debunked immediately after it was posted. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/psaundersdp/status/1097525296708739074

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

I honestly think Hampson will not be fantasy relevant unless and injury occurs or poor play by someone. I just don’t think a guy who pinch hits or plays once/twice a week is a player I will own. 

It is looking like McMahon has won the 2B job, if he has then that is why ... if McMahon keeps hitting he plays. Arenado, Story & Blackmon  do not come out of the lineup. Never. If Murphy & Dahl stay healthy they play everyday. I believe Desmond is the wildcard for Hampson, if Ian hits he plays so to me Hampson doesn’t get enough ABs. 

You mention Matt Holiday and getting full time run. I was no way did he, so I checked. Matt got 53 ABs in September. Is that full time

51 minutes ago, Donniebaseball23 said:

He hit .327/.375/.537 last spring too, and then was a bust

so I’m not too excited and the sooner Hampson takes over the better

Better for who?  You, because you have Hampson on your fantasy team??  LOL...I think you're posting in the wrong thread, buddy.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Donniebaseball23 said:

An article last week from The Athletic indicates McMahon wasn't comfortable last spring.

“It’s spring training and it’s only a couple at-bats, but it’s what I’m gonna roll with,” McMahon said. “The way I’m hitting the ball this spring compared to last spring is like night and day to me. It just feels normal again. I feel good, man. I feel really good.”

McMahon studied Murphy’s swing through spring. Now in his 11th season, the 33-year-old Murphy is a three-time All-Star and two-time Silver Slugger winner who twice led the National League in doubles. He is a professional hitter, with a swing honed over time to maximize impact. Murphy sets up in the box bent at the waist, then bursts open at the hips when his bat swings through. McMahon, in his way, adopted that idea.

“A lot of that comes from experience. You start looking and seeing,” Murphy said. “I followed the team somewhat closely last year, and I know he struggled to get consistent time at the major-league level. A lot of that was because they had Desi (Ian Desmond) and Nolan out there at his positions. DJ LeMahieu playing second base, which is the job he’s trying to win right now. But now that he’s stacked up, what, 40-50 plate appearances in spring, you’re really starting to see his talent shine through. And you can see him make really good adjustments on a quick basis.”

And for what it's worth, I highly recommend The Athletic. A lot of insightful articles.

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, CAT said:

Better for who?  You, because you have Hampson on your fantasy team??  LOL...I think you're posting in the wrong thread, buddy.

This isn't a fanboy thread.  You don't have to own McMahon to post here.  You don't have to own any Colorado player to post here or have any horse in the race.  This is a thread for people wanting info about a baseball player, having info about same or just having opinions.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Donniebaseball23 said:

Well they opened the season with him as a pinch hitter. He got 15 PAs in the first 2 weeks. So that probably didn't help. I can't actually think of any other top prospects who started the year as a pinch hitter. Usually they get kept down for service time and to get maximum plate appearances. But the Rockies were like, "nah we don't care about service time or about developing the prospect". 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

The spring training stats are nice sure, but remember Scott Kingery last year?

For sure, he might not sustain this into the season.  That said, if you take a wait and see approach, then someone's already likely grabbed him.  No risk no reward.  Sometimes you have to make a gut call and believe.  I wouldn't be banking on him being some miracle for my fantasy team, but he does have upside.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

Kingery wasn't competing for the starting 2B job though - the job already belonged to Cesar Hernandez. McMahon and Hampson are both competing for the starting 2B job, so in their cases, Spring Training stats matter a lot more, and both know it.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

I would certainly have liked to own Kingery on a Dynasty team last year, but I was much lower on him than most. I feel like Kingery benefited in value by being the top 2b prospect when 2b prospects were really shallow (still are) and then benefitted from hitting in Reading. Still think he could have a fine career, but he's obviously blocked at the moment.

While McMahon was never a super elite prospect, he always projected to hit for a decent enough average and good power, and was supposed to be aided furthermore by Coors.  I certainly don't think McMahon is guaranteed to pan out, but I do feel like he's a much different prospect than Kingery was. 

9 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

I would certainly have liked to own Kingery on a Dynasty team last year, but I was much lower on him than most. I feel like Kingery benefited in value by being the top 2b prospect when 2b prospects were really shallow (still are) and then benefitted from hitting in Reading. Still think he could have a fine career, but he's obviously blocked at the moment.

While McMahon was never a super elite prospect, he always projected to hit for a decent enough average and good power, and was supposed to be aided furthermore by Coors.  I certainly don't think McMahon is guaranteed to pan out, but I do feel like he's a much different prospect than Kingery was. 

We'll see what happens.  McMahon is worth a flier in the last few rounds because of Coors Field, but I honestly wouldn't pay anything higher than that for him especially given his lack of speed.  Last year, guys like Kingery and Ian Happ were ridiculously overvalued because of big spring trainings.  There's very little correlation between spring training success and regular season success.

29 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

We'll see what happens.  McMahon is worth a flier in the last few rounds because of Coors Field, but I honestly wouldn't pay anything higher than that for him especially given his lack of speed.  Last year, guys like Kingery and Ian Happ were ridiculously overvalued because of big spring trainings.  There's very little correlation between spring training success and regular season success.

No, I'm with you there.  McMahon is probably more expensive if you're doing a draft today than if you did 2 months ago, or even 1 month ago, he's certainly a flier. But he's a former pretty high ranked prospect who has a chance to be an every day player for the Rockies. With the exception of Ianetta (and thats only for 1 catcher leagues), every Rockies starter is worth owning in any standard sized league, and probably very valuable in a deeper league.

1b- Murphy -Top 100 pick

3b- Arenado- 1st rounder

SS- Story- arguably a 1st rounder

OF- Blackmon- aging 1st rounder who slips into 2/3

OF- Dahl, probably pretty close to a top 25 OF or better if we can forecast health

OF- Ian Desmond- the worst player in baseball who is still being drafted in the top 200.

2b- McMahon/Story- I think both these guys have good years and will fine AB eventually if they stay healthy. One of the guys above is probably getting hurt and I think it will push both these guys into everyday AB if they stay healthy. Story's upside is certainly higher in 5x5, but McMahon is probably the better real life hitter.

CARLOS GONZALES HAD A 940 OPS AT HOME LAST YEAR

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

No, I'm with you there.  McMahon is probably more expensive if you're doing a draft today than if you did 2 months ago, or even 1 month ago, he's certainly a flier. But he's a former pretty high ranked prospect who has a chance to be an every day player for the Rockies. With the exception of Ianetta (and thats only for 1 catcher leagues), every Rockies starter is worth owning in any standard sized league, and probably very valuable in a deeper league.

1b- Murphy -Top 100 pick

3b- Arenado- 1st rounder

SS- Story- arguably a 1st rounder

OF- Blackmon- aging 1st rounder who slips into 2/3

OF- Dahl, probably pretty close to a top 25 OF or better if we can forecast health

OF- Ian Desmond- the worst player in baseball who is still being drafted in the top 200.

2b- McMahon/Story- I think both these guys have good years and will fine AB eventually if they stay healthy. One of the guys above is probably getting hurt and I think it will push both these guys into everyday AB if they stay healthy. Story's upside is certainly higher in 5x5, but McMahon is probably the better real life hitter.

CARLOS GONZALES HAD A 940 OPS AT HOME LAST YEAR

You meant McMahon/Hampson @ 2B correct? 

15 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

Or Ryan McMahon last year? 😆

I think this thread, although excited, is valuing him appropriately though -- a late round (low auction dollar) bench piece with positional flexibility that could pop and have a good year.

• Like 2