NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ryan McMahon 2019 Outlook

10 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

The most HRs McMahon has hit in a minor league season is 18.  Look like I said I drafted McMahon in a money league so I hope he has a great year, but his HR upside is a lot less than Hampson's SB upside.  The easiest way for a young player to be fantasy relevant is to steal bases, like Mondesi last year.  You don't even need to be a great hitter to make an impact fantasy-wise if you are stealing bases.

Yes steals are worth a lot. Generally speaking, guys who can't hit, don't get an opportunity to steal bases, because an SB is worth very little for a real life team, so no team is playing a bad hitter for steals. Their defense would have to be pretty damn great to justify putting in a lousy hitter.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Revisionist history. He was up the whole first month and hit .180 Avg, .517 OPS with 22 Ks in 60 PAs, 37%... his ISO was .020 ... he got send down because he was god awful. May 26 - Jun 20... He 

Posted Images

Yeah, I mean, it's one game against a righty. I wouldn't make any grand declarations for at least 2 weeks until we see how a few different scenarios play out. 

Edited by GrapeJuice
  • Like 3
On 3/28/2019 at 12:56 PM, GrapeJuice said:

Yeah, I mean, it's one game against a righty. I wouldn't make any grand declarations for at least 2 weeks until we see how a few different scenarios play out. 

Well tonight the Marlins brought in a lefty to face him, Black did NOT pinch hit for him, McMahon  promptly smacked a double. Hampson pinched hit for the pitcher and was done for the night. McMahon also made a terrific pick on a caught stealing, so his defense is certainly workable, considering he didn't come up as a 2B. 

McMahon is a real hitter and he has now figured some things out. There is likely no platoon here as McMahon won the 2B job and seems to be running with it. Hampson will certainly get the occasional starts, but he is a utility guy at this point (and I DO LIKE Hampson). 

Edited by kwolf68
  • Like 2

McMahon 1-2 with 2 walks. His at bat v. Sergio Romo was a tremendous pro at bat. Fouled one off, then never once offered, or even flinched, at the various frisbees Romo was tossing him. Last year he would have swung at least once. He has a great feel right now and is seeing everything. 

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

McMahon 1-2 with 2 walks. His at bat v. Sergio Romo was a tremendous pro at bat. Fouled one off, then never once offered, or even flinched, at the various frisbees Romo was tossing him. Last year he would have swung at least once. He has a great feel right now and is seeing everything. 

Ok. Glad you convinced yourself you made the right decision. 

For those that didn't watch and are just reading this - Romo looked absolutely awful. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, kwolf68 said:

How about McMahon’s bat against Adam Conley a lefthander ... Double 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, mowntineer said:

Ok. Glad you convinced yourself you made the right decision. 

For those that didn't watch and are just reading this - Romo looked absolutely awful. 

Seems like the only convincing going on here is you trying to convince yourself that McMahon isn't swinging a good stick. 

The guy is locked in, regardless of how you think Sergio Romo looked last night. 

• Like 6

I'll say it - I don't believe in this guy. I didn't think he'd win the job at the start of the season. I don't think he'll keep the job. But I own him on most of my teams. Because I'm wrong. A lot. And this guy had an opportunity to win the job and he ran with it, but his price in drafts didn't reflect this potential. I still think he's going to end up losing the job to Hampson at some point. But maybe he won't. He has the job right now and if he performs he'll keep it. I don't think the fantasy community places enough value in opportunities.

• Like 4

I find it hard to believe people questioned his ability to hit. He proved it a couple years ago when he went to Hartford (hitter neutral environment) and mashed. He was a top 1B prospect that now plays 2B...in freakin Coors! That is very exciting imo. His inconsistent handling at the big league level and sporadic ABs I suppose gave people enough to disbelieve, but he made a few subtle adjustments to the swing and came out and earned the Rox player of ST award...that alone was enough to see that they were done jerking him around--I think, at least?!  It is prob still imperative that he avoids any sort of early season slump yet, which so far/so good.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, lavaman said:

McMahon is in the starting lineup to stay. Hampson, at some point, will be too. Probably sooner rather than later.

Just be happy if you drafted one of these two gems.

Hampson is starting today, also. 

4 minutes ago, mowntineer said:

Murphy having x Ray's done on his finger. Could be good for both Hampson and McMahon and terrible for Murphy lovers/owners like myself.

Not trying to go too off topic but how did Miggy already get his x rays back negative and Murphy still up in the air?

19 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I find it hard to believe people questioned his ability to hit. He proved it a couple years ago when he went to Hartford (hitter neutral environment) and mashed. He was a top 1B prospect that now plays 2B...in freakin Coors! That is very exciting imo. His inconsistent handling at the big league level and sporadic ABs I suppose gave people enough to disbelieve, but he made a few subtle adjustments to the swing and came out and earned the Rox player of ST award...that alone was enough to see that they were done jerking him around--I think, at least?!  It is prob still imperative that he avoids any sort of early season slump yet, which so far/so good.

The thing is, Last year he was getting only a handful of ABs a week.  Tough for anyone to get into any rhythm being used that sparingly especially a young hitter trying to figure it out. Now getting a full time ABs (so far) This year will be a better evaluation of him.   I have him in almost all my highly competitive leagues and refused to just give him away even though I was getting loads of offers for him before the season, So alot of people seem to feel the same way I do about him.

Edited by DMurphy77