NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Jose Leclerc 2019 Outlook

larfboy

I'm with DConny1...I think Leclerc could sneak into top 5 territory this season. Time and time again, closers on bad teams have proven valuable, and 30+ saves seems very realistic. I never draft (or keep) closers in my leagues, and I am strongly considering keeping Leclerc at $3 in my primary league.

13 hours ago, larfboy said:

Well his contract is team friendly and he should be an attractive trade chip still.

You could look at is this way but its far more unlikely in this scenario than previously. Why trade him now when you can trade him 2 years later.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2019 at 8:35 PM, larfboy said:

Well his contract is team friendly and he should be an attractive trade chip still.

15 hours ago, Sidearmer said:

You could look at is this way but its far more unlikely in this scenario than previously. Why trade him now when you can trade him 2 years later.

It undeniably helped his chances to stay with the Rangers. Did it guarantee them? Absolutely not. And the Rangers, as a rebuilding team, would be absolute imbeciles if they got a real legitimate prospect haul offer for LeClerc if he was  putting up Elite Saver #s and didn't take it. 

That said, the Contract helps LeClerc two fold.

1.) Teams are naturally de-incentivized to play non-contract players in the save role to not escalate their arbitration numbers. Middle Relief doesn't get paid nearly as much in Arb as Closers, so it is very smart for teams to only put players on Contracts in the CL role if possible. (This would, of course, hold true if he were traded). 

2.) Even at a reduced cost, it is still a COST. And we shouldn't lose sight of that. Even in arbitration, if at any point in his career, LeClerc were to s--- the bed, the Rangers / any perspective trade team could've simply non-tendered him and paid him nothing. The relevancy of the value of the contract, for the team, doesn't really even vest until he gets to those FA years. Because LeClerc would've been a Three-four Year controlled player regardless, and if in a non-Closer role, probably a Three-four year cost-controlled player. And again, with no guaranteed money, so if he failed, he would either A.) Lose potential value in Arb or B.) Be able to be non-tendered. Now the team is on the hook for 11+ million after this year even if he fell apart completely. 

6 minutes ago, roscobangs said:

My main target for saves after the top 12 or so guys are taken.

After the top 12? I mean not that I don't agree, but his ADP is only 13. Most people are, and at that rate he might already be gone. I'll reach a bit earlier than that, personally. I'll probably have him closer to my top 5-8 CL.

7 hours ago, taobball said:

After the top 12? I mean not that I don't agree, but his ADP is only 13. Most people are, and at that rate he might already be gone. I'll reach a bit earlier than that, personally. I'll probably have him closer to my top 5-8 CL.

What round are you targeting him?  Or is it a case of just taking him at a pick once the top 5-8 guys have been selected?

59 minutes ago, svdude said:

But see that’s the type of article where it lists things as negatives that arent. Like do I give a flying f--- he throws two pitches... like pretty much EVERY reliever. No. I think that points just silly. I discuss arsenal depth all the time but not with RP.

and then glosses over a miraculous Pop-Up% like it is nothing. GB% as a driving point is a poor argument. He generated a lot of FB contact it was just inferior Fb contact that came with the combination of a very high IFFB% and an incredibly low HR/9.

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, mowntineer said:

Has he lost his job?

No, just a rough start.  He has had control issues in the past.  When he got over them last year he turned into a stud closer.  It sucks but hopefully he'll figure it out again soon. It's April 11th and Shane Greene is the top rated RP while Aroldis Chapman is 53rd. Don't panic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • tonycpsu changed the title to Jose Leclerc 2019 Outlook