Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Greg Bird 2019 Outlook


Recommended Posts

People are starting to speculate it’s going to be Bird to win the job and be the Yanks everyday first baseman. With that sweet lefty swing born for Yankee stadium, will this be the year he FINALLY puts in all together and has a big year?

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Followed by: Bird to be shut down for a few days Bird to begin the year on the Injured List Bird to get a cortisone injection Bird hopeful to return by All Star break Bird to

Scranton Wilkes-Barre RailRiders waiting for Bird like  

I don’t think it’s quite the “Period” situation you’re making it out to be.  Judge for yourself based on Cashman’s comments from a couple of weeks ago:   ”My gut is, although I'm not calling

17 minutes ago, rhg1084 said:

People are starting to speculate it’s going to be Bird to win the job and be the Yanks everyday first baseman. With that sweet lefty swing born for Yankee stadium, will this be the year he FINALLY puts in all together and has a big year?

What people?  It is Voit's to lose and he isn't losing it.  Bird having a pretty swing means nothing if he doesn't hit the baseball during said swing.  Meanwhile Voit was one of the very best hitters in baseball last year once he started playing 1B in pinstripes and he hasn't let up this spring either.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, rhg1084 said:

People are starting to speculate it’s going to be Bird to win the job 

 

Image result for cage laughing gif

 

in all seriousness im the biggest bird fan in the world.  but hes starting the year in AAA until there is an injury or voit under performs. id still draft in a dynasty or very deep redrafts

Edited by jfazz23
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, rhg1084 said:

You guys all get a good laugh now but watch it’s going to be Bird. Cashman loves him and is not ready to give up on him 

You may be right or you may not but Im curious where you are getting this idea from? Anything to back it up or you just like his swing mechanic?

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, fingy said:

You may be right or you may not but Im curious where you are getting this idea from? Anything to back it up or you just like his swing mechanic?

 

Cashman has a history of fawning over Bird's swing/power. Like any GM, he doesn't want to admit he was wrong and throw in the towel on a guy he was so adamant about for so long. 

Personally, I never liked his swing all that much. I thought it was (and still is) long and slow to the ball. Just because a swing is built for lift doesn't make it a great swing. 

Edited by absknicks
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, rhg1084 said:

You guys all get a good laugh now but watch it’s going to be Bird. Cashman loves him and is not ready to give up on him 

 

My money is on the Birdman as well. In today's society, it's what have you done for me lately. Remember Bird was ranked higher than Aaron Judge in their minds. If Bird keeps hitting at his present clip and Voit settles in at a .250 mark over the next two weeks, Bird is staying up and starting 1B. I've rostered him on almost every team I have because I believe his overall metrics (fielding and hitting) and Cashman's love for him is going to be the deciding factor. Don't care for the Yankees - just a personal observation that I'm willing to take a chance on in order to steal a Fantasy championship. It's all Voit until it isn't and the plug is pulled on him at the last second. In a 12-team H2H points league, he's a good sneaky pick-up late in the game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, usf_football43 said:

 

My money is on the Birdman as well. In today's society, it's what have you done for me lately. Remember Bird was ranked higher than Aaron Judge in their minds. If Bird keeps hitting at his present clip and Voit settles in at a .250 mark over the next two weeks, Bird is staying up and starting 1B. I've rostered him on almost every team I have because I believe his overall metrics (fielding and hitting) and Cashman's love for him is going to be the deciding factor. Don't care for the Yankees - just a personal observation that I'm willing to take a chance on in order to steal a Fantasy championship. It's all Voit until it isn't and the plug is pulled on him at the last second. In a 12-team H2H points league, he's a good sneaky pick-up late in the game.

Voit may have a short leash, but personally I don’t see how that is possible. Voit was literally a top 5 overall hitter at the end of last year and has looked great this spring. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A majority of the sports radio guys in NY are betting on Greg Bird winning the job, although its something like 60/40 so its not unanimous. At this point in deep leagues I'll be hedging any Voit shares with Bird just in case. In standard Bird probably is still undrafted.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As a Greg Bird owner, I'm looking to trade him, his value is about as high right now as it might ever be again. Hopefully another team owner will bite on a hot spring training bat rather than look at his injury history and career .214 BA (granted it's through just 576 AB's but it's still .214). 

Edited by elsegundo
Link to post
Share on other sites

The FO loves Bird.  IIRC, they thought he was the better hitter of the Sanchez, Judge trio.

The problem for Bird is that he's basically lost 2 years of development time. I think the team made a mistake last year and should have let him hit for 2 months in the minors.  Lower pressure environment, lesser pitchers, and regular PT where he could focus on his stroke and his timing at the plate.  Hopefully, above all, he stays healthy.  Even if he does win the job, struggles, and gets sent down it won't be the worst thing so long as he stays healthy and gets regular ABs.  I'm a believer in Bird's ability.  I just think he's been unhealthy and has lost a ton of development time at a key time in his career. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dicka24 said:

The FO loves Bird.  IIRC, they thought he was the better hitter of the Sanchez, Judge trio.

The problem for Bird is that he's basically lost 2 years of development time. I think the team made a mistake last year and should have let him hit for 2 months in the minors.  Lower pressure environment, lesser pitchers, and regular PT where he could focus on his stroke and his timing at the plate.  Hopefully, above all, he stays healthy.  Even if he does win the job, struggles, and gets sent down it won't be the worst thing so long as he stays healthy and gets regular ABs.  I'm a believer in Bird's ability.  I just think he's been unhealthy and has lost a ton of development time at a key time in his career. 

 

While health is certainly a big part of it (man is made of glass), if you watched Bird last year, he was often caught in between as he seems to not be able to catch up to a good fastball at times even when looking for it and not able to hit a curve unless hung over the middle of the plate and looking for it.  He is not alone in this by any stretch, but he hardly looked like the next coming of Lou Gehrig either.  More like a bad Eric Hosmer lol.  I am just not buying they are crazy enough to go down this rat hole again if another option is viable.

Edited by secretagentman
Link to post
Share on other sites

At this point they probably would rather trade Bird than have him start the season at 1B.  Injuries and poor regular season performance probably have them ready to move on.

It is Voit's time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, B&F said:

At this point they probably would rather trade Bird than have him start the season at 1B.  Injuries and poor regular season performance probably have them ready to move on.

 

Reminder that Greg Bird is worth nothing in the real life MLB trade market. He's much more useful to keep in the minors in case of emergency. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Career .214/.302/.434 slash line. Good amount of doubles and homers. Given that he basically made his reputation as the next Yankee first baseman back in 2015 and since then has yet to even come remotely close to playing a full season or hit above .200, I’m not sure what the hang up is on him. This is something I’d expect the Mets to do with a player. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

hat he basically made his reputation as the next Yankee first baseman back in 2015 and since then has yet to even come remotely close to playing a full season or hit above .200,. 

I would like to argue hitting 199 is very close to hitting over 200. 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Bird has 32 HRs and 97 RBI in 576 career MLB ABs.  Yes he's also hit .214 over that 3 year stretch, but again, consider how much time he's lost in those seasons.  Critical development time at the hardest part of one's career.  The transition from minors to majors.  He may very well be a AAAA player, or a guy who never reaches his potential cuz he's always injured.   From a fantasy standpoint I'd only draft Bird in deeper leagues, if he's free, as a lottery ticket.  From the Yankees standpoint I think the FO sees a 2 year old LH slugger who hit .296 with a .528 slg% in AAA, that's shown legit MLB power in 3 injuries riddled seasons. Whatever they do, I hope they put him in a situation where he plays everyday, and isn't stuck in a platoon.   He's a 30+ HR bat if healthy imo.  I stress "if".

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

Bird has 32 HRs and 97 RBI in 576 career MLB ABs.  Yes he's also hit .214 over that 3 year stretch, but again, consider how much time he's lost in those seasons.  Critical development time at the hardest part of one's career.  The transition from minors to majors.  He may very well be a AAAA player, or a guy who never reaches his potential cuz he's always injured.   From a fantasy standpoint I'd only draft Bird in deeper leagues, if he's free, as a lottery ticket.  From the Yankees standpoint I think the FO sees a 2 year old LH slugger who hit .296 with a .528 slg% in AAA, that's shown legit MLB power in 3 injuries riddled seasons. Whatever they do, I hope they put him in a situation where he plays everyday, and isn't stuck in a platoon.   He's a 30+ HR bat if healthy imo.  I stress "if".

Nick Johnson 2.0.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...