NBC Sports Edge Forums

Greg Bird 2019 Outlook

You guys keep saying he’s made of glass but wasn’t most of his trouble last year due to a botched surgery after his his previous ankle injury that resulted in a second surgery? That’s not Birds fault. I will agree that he missed a ton of development time during a very crucial point in his career and may not be able to recover from that and get his career back on track. 

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Followed by: Bird to be shut down for a few days Bird to begin the year on the Injured List Bird to get a cortisone injection Bird hopeful to return by All Star break Bird to

Scranton Wilkes-Barre RailRiders waiting for Bird like  

I don’t think it’s quite the “Period” situation you’re making it out to be.  Judge for yourself based on Cashman’s comments from a couple of weeks ago:   ”My gut is, although I'm not calling

Some people here are saying cashman and the FO loves bird but it seems like he thinks voit will have the job.

"He did an amazing job," Cashman said of Voit. "It was an incredible story and good for him and I loved the passion and the personality and all that stuff. And so there's no reason to think, including what we've seen this spring, that he's not an everyday guy

The article also said Cash hasn’t given up on Bird yet But i don’t see how the yanks won’t  give Voit first shot based off of how he hit last year. He may not have a long leash but Voit earned first crack IMO.

i could be wrong but haven’t we seen bird hit like this in ST before?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Under500Forever said:

Some people here are saying cashman and the FO loves bird but it seems like he thinks voit will have the job.

"He did an amazing job," Cashman said of Voit. "It was an incredible story and good for him and I loved the passion and the personality and all that stuff. And so there's no reason to think, including what we've seen this spring, that he's not an everyday guy

The article also said Cash hasn’t given up on Bird yet But i don’t see how the yanks won’t  give Voit first shot based off of how he hit last year. He may not have a long leash but Voit earned first crack IMO.

i could be wrong but haven’t we seen bird hit like this in ST before?

Bird is outperforming Voit right now, but important to remember three things 1) spring training is pointless 2) the sample size is beyond meaningless and 3) Luke Voit's OPS is still above 900. 

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 2

None of us really like him or believe he's going to break out.

BUT

It's looking increasingly likely he's going to make the club if Hicks starts on the IL. He'll get playing time. He's having a good spring. IF he performs in the regular season he can definitely force his way into the lineup. He's definitely needing a lot of things to go right plus a bit of luck, but that's all reflected in his draft position.  In other words, despite us all being skeptics, we've all been wrong before and will be wrong again. It's possible Bird might become that guy. The price is low enough you should grab him with a late pick or at least put him on the watch list.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

None of us really like him or believe he's going to break out.

BUT

It's looking increasingly likely he's going to make the club if Hicks starts on the IL. He'll get playing time. He's having a good spring. IF he performs in the regular season he can definitely force his way into the lineup. He's definitely needing a lot of things to go right plus a bit of luck, but that's all reflected in his draft position.  In other words, despite us all being skeptics, we've all been wrong before and will be wrong again. It's possible Bird might become that guy. The price is low enough you should grab him with a late pick or at least put him on the watch list.

If Hicks misses 10 days, Bird won't have much time to prove anything.

7 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Brian Cashman yesterday said, verbatim, Bird has "put on 25 lbs of muscle this offseason"

Is that even possible? 

Absolutely not.  You can’t even gain 25 lbs of muscle using in steroids in 4 months.  Lmao 😂 

7 minutes ago, reichl555 said:

Absolutely not.  You can’t even gain 25 lbs of muscle using in steroids in 4 months.  Lmao 😂 

"It's safe to state publicly that he's (Voit) the favorite going in," said Cashman. "But it's a race. And it doesn't mean that somebody else with Bird's abilities can't come past and win it. We've been betting on Bird ... I could've traded Bird this winter. I could've cut ties if we thought that this was something where you're hitting your head against the wall and it's not going to work, but we still think the ceiling is there now. Bird showed up this spring with 25 pounds of muscle on ... he was considered our best hitting prospect throughout the system ... we can't forget that."

With this Hicks injury it looks like both Voit and Bird will make the team, but it will only last for about a week, then they will make a decision. Would think both Voit and Bird would play every day during this time rotating 1B and DH. Maybe Bird gets an off day against a LHP.

19 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

"I... Bird showed up this spring with 25 pounds of muscle on ... he was considered our best hitting prospect throughout the system ... we can't forget that."

Nor can we forget the .199 avg and frequent DL stints lol.  Cashman is just building up the guy for a deal later imo.  Short of Voit imploding, I can't imagine they are crazy enough to replay that tired record again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Cashman and his 25 lb. of muscle comment. LOL.  Did anyone see him play ST game yet?  He looks exactly the same from last year.  And if he did gain muscle it would only be in his legs.  His upper body has no muscle tone whatsoever.  Seems like false advertisement for trade bait to me.

Aaron Boone said earlier in the week that Bird added “good weight’’ to his 6-foot-4 frame, and Bird says he packed on 20 pounds to push the scale to 230.

“Not super intentional, I ate and worked out,’’ Bird said. “After the New Year I started lifting. If I am heavier and can move, I know I am in a good place.’’

https://nypost.com/2019/02/22/a-healthy-greg-bird-already-is-bashing/

On 3/8/2019 at 11:32 AM, secretagentman said:

Bird has been Nicknamed Nick Johnson 2.0...As the expression goes, the definition of stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results lol.

On 3/10/2019 at 11:52 AM, secretagentman said:

Nick Johnson 2.0.

Nick Johnson was actually good though.

Nick Johnson career slash: .268/.399/.441. And he had a couple of 4 to 5 WAR years on the Nats.

Bird's a career .214/.302/.434 hitter lol

28 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Nick Johnson was actually good though.

Nick Johnson career slash: .268/.399/.441. And he had a couple of 4 to 5 WAR years on the Nats.

Bird's a career .214/.302/.434 hitter lol

No one said the 2.0 version was better than the original.  Most sequels stink lol.

19 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Why... would they be worried? 

I think he means to say Voit owners need to at least be a little worried. Bird owners just need a support group.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, osb_tensor said:

Aaron Boone said earlier in the week that Bird added “good weight’’ to his 6-foot-4 frame, and Bird says he packed on 20 pounds to push the scale to 230.

Not super intentional, I ate and worked out,’’ Bird said. “After the New Year I started lifting. If I am heavier and can move, I know I am in a good place.’

https://nypost.com/2019/02/22/a-healthy-greg-bird-already-is-bashing/

Didn't he steal that last bit from Pablo Sandoval?

15 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

hang em and bang em'

Yanks opening day lineup look a little something like this?

1. Gardner cf

2. Judge rf 

3 Stanton lf 

4. Voit dh

5. Sanchez c

6. Andujar 3b

7. Bird 1b

8. Torres 2b

9. Tulo ss

I’ll be benching a lot of starting pitchers against this team this year...again.

Edited by meh2
  • Like 1