NBC Sports Edge Forums

Greg Bird 2019 Outlook

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Followed by: Bird to be shut down for a few days Bird to begin the year on the Injured List Bird to get a cortisone injection Bird hopeful to return by All Star break Bird to

Scranton Wilkes-Barre RailRiders waiting for Bird like  

I don’t think it’s quite the “Period” situation you’re making it out to be.  Judge for yourself based on Cashman’s comments from a couple of weeks ago:   ”My gut is, although I'm not calling

37 minutes ago, shirazmuz said:

Starting 1B opening day, probably batting 7th.

Do we pick him up and see where the chips fall when Hicks gets back, or is it gonna be the same story for him the last 3 years? 

If you have the roster spot to spare I would take a flyer on him.  You will know in the first couple of weeks of the season whether or not he's worth keeping long term.  Bird is gonna play so long as Hicks is out, and when Hicks returns the better performer of the Bird/Voit title bout will stay, and the loser will go to AAA.

Everyone need to also keep in mind that the Yankees are extremely RH in the lineup.  More so than I can ever remember.  With Didi out till summer, Hicks is their only LH bat of substance. The best hitters will play, but Bird being a LH bat could be something that helps break a tie so to speak.

2 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Yeah like a "first".  Also a "last."  They need to showcase him quickly and move him even quicker because Voit is THE man.

It's not always a zero-sum game.  If they both rake there is no reason they both won't get a full complement of ABs between 1B and DH for the rest of the season.  

• Like 1
Just now, El_Chingon said:

It's not always a zero-sum game.  If they both rake there is no reason they both won't get a full complement of ABs between 1B and DH for the rest of the season.  

Yes there is. When Hicks comes back Stanton will DH most days.  And Yankee management said flat out and officially they were NOT carrying both of these guys.  Period.  They are only BOTH on the roster because Stanton is needed in the outfield until Hicks returns freeing up the DH slot temporarily except for when Gary Sanchez DH's.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, dicka24 said:

If you have the roster spot to spare I would take a flyer on him.  You will know in the first couple of weeks of the season whether or not he's worth keeping long term.  Bird is gonna play so long as Hicks is out, and when Hicks returns the better performer of the Bird/Voit title bout will stay, and the loser will go to AAA.

This is not necessarily true.  If they both perform they will both keep playing.  Similar to the crowded OF situation in San Diego they can play matchups, rotate guys and keep everyone fresh and healthy.

1 minute ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Yes there is. When Hicks comes back Stanton will DH most days.  And Yankee management said flat out and officially they were NOT carrying both of these guys.  Period.  They are only BOTH on the roster because Stanton is needed in the outfield until Hicks returns freeing up the DH slot temporarily except for when Gary Sanchez DH's.

Situations change, we don't know for a certainty what will happen when Hicks returns if they are both performing.  I have missed out on many breakout players in my fantasy career by being afraid of hypothetical playing time situations instead of waiting to see how things actually play out.

Edited by El_Chingon
  • Like 4
1 minute ago, El_Chingon said:

I agree with this. If both are killing it, no way they don't both stay in the lineup. They can easily play 1B and DH. Everyone is assuming Yankees want to pay Stanton 25-30M to DH. He could be the full time LF with the occasional DH start to keep him rested. Voit & Bird could both be full-time players if Yanks bench Gardner & Stanton plays the corner OF. 

1 minute ago, El_Chingon said:

This is not necessarily true.  If they both perform they will both keep playing.  Similar to the crowded OF situation in San Diego they can play matchups, rotate guys and keep everyone fresh and healthy.

I'm not sure they'll keep 2 1B only players. The Yanks love to carry extra relievers, and tend to go with a 3 man bench.  With one being a beck up catcher, they won't carry a spare 1B inside that 3.  Maybe their hand will be forced and they'll opt for the 7 reliever bullpen.  It's possible. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I don’t think it’s quite the “Period” situation you’re making it out to be.  Judge for yourself based on Cashman’s comments from a couple of weeks ago:

My gut is, although I'm not calling it right now, my gut is we're not carrying both Bird and Voit on the club," the Yankees GM said. "They both have options. It doesn't mean what I'm saying right now is gospel. It depends how this roster shakes out. Going into spring training, we're like may the best person win at first base, but I don't think there was a thought process of carrying both, because I'm not sure if the at bats are there for the parting line. We haven't had any team meetings on it, it's premature."

Edited by BMcP
  • Like 7
15 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

With Hicks out, they're going to play Stanton in LF and Gardner in CF a fair amount.  That leaves the DH open where Bird/Voit will play a large percentage of the time.  This is as long as Bird is hitting and only until Hicks gets back.  Hicks is not expected to be out too long, and when that happens you won't see as much of Bird.

I think he has ever opportunity to work his way into the lineup as the platoon guy 1B v RHP, even with Hicks back

Gardner's coming off of a sub .700 OPS season, Stanton's more than capable as a corner OF and isn't saddled to the DH spot and word is that Bird is a better defender than Voit.

The guy simply is the only avenue they have to balance the lineup v RHP until Didi is back. If, and we all know its a big if, his bat justifies he's getting playing time

Edited by Junkie Cosmonaut
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

Why do you say this when the Yankees have said otherwise?  And have made it VERY clear the only reason both are up right now is because Hicks is on the DL. 

Who you going to send down instead when Hicks returns?  Your utility guy?  A bullpen arm?  Both of which are far more important than a bench player who can only play 1B.

And Voit needs no match-up handling.  He hits everyone.  Platooning is the worst thing you can do with a young player especially one that was among the VERY best hitters the last part of last season. 

Also to Junkie, Bird can't hit righties well.  He has reverso splits.  Voit hits them just fine.  Why do you want to bat Bird against righties when his splits say he isn't good against them?

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
1 minute ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Why do you say this when the Yankees have said otherwise?  And have made it VERY clear the only reason both are up right now is because Hicks is on the DL. 

Who you going to send down instead when Hicks returns?  Your utility guy?  A bullpen arm?  Both of which are far more important than a bench player who can only play 1B.

And Voit needs no match-up handling.  He hits everyone.  Platooning is the worst thing you can do with a young player especially one that was among the VERY best hitters the last part of last season. 

Also to Junkie, Bird can't hit righties well.  Voit hits them just fine.  Why do you want to bat Bird against righties when his splits say he isn't good against them?

With due respect, you are missing the point.

*If* they both stay healthy and are mashing, *then* they will not want to send one of them down.  In that case, they would look to find a way to keep them in the lineup.  

Hicks has not even started baseball activities yet so they both have a window of time to gain a foothold in the lineup.  Even after Hicks returns, there's a chance someone else is injured or underperforming and not Bird or Voit.  Now if Bird sucks or is injured, both of which are possible, then the point is moot and the decision to send him down would be easy.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On the subject of reverse splits: to be fair, there really hasn’t been much of a disparity between his performance vs. lefties and righties.

3 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

With due respect, you are missing the point.

*If* they both stay healthy and are mashing, *then* they will not want to send one of them down.  In that case, they would look to find a way to keep them in the lineup.  

Hicks has not even started baseball activities yet so they both have a window of time to gain a foothold in the lineup.  Even after Hicks returns, there's a chance someone else is injured or underperforming and not Bird or Voit.  Now if Bird sucks or is injured, both of which are possible, then the point is moot and the decision to send him down would be easy.

Why?  They need bullpen arms more than an extra duplicate 1B.  Though I can't imagine Bird being near Voit's level now that real baseball is starting.

And shall we start a pool as to when Bird manages to develop another mystery injury to his body?

13 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

I think he has ever opportunity to work his way into the lineup as the platoon guy 1B v RHP, even with Hicks back

Gardner's coming off of a sub .700 OPS season, Stanton's more than capable as a corner OF and isn't saddled to the DH spot and word is that Bird is a better defender than Voit.

The guy simply is the only avenue they have to balance the lineup v RHP until Didi is back. If, and we all know its a big if, his bat justifies he's getting playing time

Except for the fact that they both have reverse splits.  Wouldn't make any sense at all for Bird to start vs RHP and not LHP.  Gardner adds value defensively and they like to keep Stanton in the lineup at DH.   Stanton was always labeled as a high injury risk which is part of the reason they keep him at DH as much as they can to protect their investment. I wouldn't write off Gardner right now.

• Like 1

Why is it always the same people who need to comment that Greg Bird only made the team because of this or that and when a certain player is healthy and ready to return that Bird will be in the minors? This situation is not set in stone. 

Cashman would love nothing more than to see Bird start mashing especially after sticking with him for this long and pegging him as the best hitting prospect which at the time included Judge/Sanchez etc. He's one of his guys. If he hits well I can see them making room for him somehow. 

Edited by DannyMcPot
  • Like 1

If Bird actually comes out of the gate killing it,  Hicks could be odd one out.  The ole Wally Pipp treatment.  This is NY, and they're contending.  

Not like Hicks has been a fountain of health himself either. 

Spring training talk is just that,  talk.  For now,  we're all in a wait and see pattern.  Just like the Yankees are.  

I don't see how one can harp on Birds injury history and ignore Hicks at the same time.  Esp considering Birds injuries have been multiple hbp issues, coupled with a missed diagnosis on the foot.  If anything,  Hicks and his myriad injuries would concern me more.  

If Bird sucks it up,  it takes care of itself.  But anyone thinking either is a for sure thing is probably over confident in their prediction ability.  

• Like 1

They’re not going to relegate a guy they just extended for seven years to the bench.

The truth of the matter is no one on Earth knows how this will play out.  So if you can take a flier on Bird - pun intended - do so and see where it leads.

Edited by BMcP
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

If Bird sucks it up,  it takes care of itself.  But anyone thinking either is a for sure thing is probably over confident in their prediction ability.  

Whoa! Whoa!! Whoa!!! Now I know that you didn't bring him up specifically, but are you suggesting that Voit's 285 MLB PAs aren't necessarily indicative of what's to come?

4 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Whoa! Whoa!! Whoa!!! Now I know that you didn't bring him up specifically, but are you suggesting that Voit's 285 MLB PAs aren't necessarily indicative of what's to come?

This is the problem with these two threads.  People read into statements what they want to hear.  Voit could suck too. They all 3 could suck.  

Again,  the Yankees are in wait and watch mode.  So are we

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

Lmao at all these people who missed out on drafting Voit.  Never knew Bird had so many fans.

Not sure I follow.  FWIW I have Bird in 1 league and Voit in 4.  Best to be objective and see how things sort themselves out.  Not necessarily a zero-sum game they both might have value.

Edited by El_Chingon
  • Like 1