NBC Sports Edge Forums

Greg Bird 2019 Outlook

3 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

Lmao at all these people who missed out on drafting Voit.  Never knew Bird had so many fans.

Wasn’t that long ago that Bird was the ST darling everyone was dreaming on and Voit was a nobody.

• Like 1
  • Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Followed by: Bird to be shut down for a few days Bird to begin the year on the Injured List Bird to get a cortisone injection Bird hopeful to return by All Star break Bird to

Scranton Wilkes-Barre RailRiders waiting for Bird like  

I don’t think it’s quite the “Period” situation you’re making it out to be.  Judge for yourself based on Cashman’s comments from a couple of weeks ago:   ”My gut is, although I'm not calling

I have to say that looking at the Yankees early season schedule (Baltimore, Detroit, @Baltimore)  makes me want to just roster both and just see what happens.  You couldn't ask for two more beleaguered opponents to beat up on.  If Bird could get some early season confidence brewing, I could see him being a big time add that we're all rushing to make.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Just now, Turkey Burgers said:

I have to say that looking at the Yankees early season schedule (Baltimore, Detroit, @Baltimore)  makes me want to just roster both and just see what happens.  You couldn't ask for two more beleaguered opponents to beat up on.  If Bird could get some early season confidence brewing, I could see him being a big time add that we're all rushing to make.

Exactly. Its a calculated risk. If he doesn't pan out, I lost out on my 27th or so round pick. I'm not going to be losing sleep over it. 

3 minutes ago, Turkey Burgers said:

Exactly, he has a chance to terrorize that pitching.  The whole Yankee lineup in fact.

20 minutes ago, BMcP said:

They’re not going to relegate a guy they just extended for seven years to the bench.

The truth of the matter is no one on Earth knows how this will play out.  So if you can take a flier on Bird - pun intended - do so and see where it leads.

So does that mean when Ellsbury is healthy he will have a starting job waiting for him because of his contract?  This is the team who forced A-Rod and his massive contract to the bench and early retirement.  This is New York and they are looking to contend for a championship.  It would be more than foolish if they only adhere to comments made in spring training and let a players contract dictate playing time over some one who is healthy and mashing.  There is no guarantee Bird or Voit will keep it up and win playing time but if they do, plans can change fast.  Even if Hicks is healthy (but given his lengthy injury history coupled by which there is currently no timeline when that will even be), and when it comes down to it the Yankees will put their best team on the field that they feel gives them the best chance to win. Whether it is Bird, Voit, Gardner or Hicks who ever is healthy and hitting will certainly have a leg up in the competition for playing time.

Just now, 2Balls1Bat said:

So does that mean when Ellsbury is healthy he will have a starting job waiting for him because of his contract?  This is the team who forced A-Rod and his massive contract to the bench and early retirement.  This is New York and they are looking to contend for a championship.  It would be more than foolish if they only adhere to comments made in spring training and let a players contract dictate playing time over some one who is healthy and mashing.  There is no guarantee Bird or Voit will keep it up and win playing time but if they do, plans can change fast.  Even if Hicks is healthy (but given his lengthy injury history coupled by which there is currently no timeline when that will even be), and when it comes down to it the Yankees will put their best team on the field that they feel gives them the best chance to win. Whether it is Bird, Voit, Gardner or Hicks who ever is healthy and hitting will certainly have a leg up in the competition for playing time.

If Ellsbury was in the first year of a 7 year deal he would still have a job. Same with Arod

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Triple Short Of a Cycle said:

If Ellsbury was in the first year of a 7 year deal he would still have a job. Same with Arod

Except hicks isn't even half the player either of them were at their best and has yet to even stay healthy for a full season.  He is also not making nearly as much money as either of them.

2 minutes ago, 2Balls1Bat said:

Except hicks isn't even half the player either of them were at their best and has yet to even stay healthy for a full season.  He is also not making nearly as much money as either of them.

hicks had something like the 6th highest OF WAR or something?  ellsbury had 1 good year which screams PEDs.  Hicks is playing thats not a question. plus cashman and yanks love him.  the real question would be Gardner going to bench or the yanks carrying 1 less RP

Edited by jfazz23
  • Like 3

If Hicks is the one getting in the way of Bird playing, I'll take that shot considering Hicks' injury history. It's no coincidence that they added Tauchman who they feel is another Didi/Voit/Hicks type of diamond in the rough find for more OF depth.

Point is you never know and if Bird somehow secures every day at bats, that's a potential bat worth stashing. 

Just now, jfazz23 said:

hicks had something like the 6th highest OF WAR or something?  ellsbury had 1 good year which screams PEDs.  Hicks is playing thats not a question

1 minute ago, jfazz23 said:

hicks had something like the 6th highest OF WAR or something?  ellsbury had 1 good year which screams PEDs.  Hicks is playing thats not a question

1 minute ago, jfazz23 said:

Ellsbury had some very good years early in his career with Boston even before that 1 year he hit for power.  Hicks has never even played a full season and many disagree that his playing time is not a question going forward even when he is finally healthy. Hicks will likely get playing time when healthy but to say it's unquestioned is beyond obsurd if both Bird and Voit are mashing into May and Hicks is still hurt.  It's a big if especially for Bird but if he is, he will stay in the lineup and if anything Gardner likely becomes a 4th outfielder when Hicks returns but if Gardner is also hitting that decision might not be so Ez.  Either way nothing is set in stone and Hicks isn't gaurenteed anything if his injury lingers.

31 minutes ago, 2Balls1Bat said:

I knew there would be one guy who brought up Ellsbury - you were that guy.  It’s not at all applicable, as another poster already mentioned.  Though I think you already knew that.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

Lmao at all these people who missed out on drafting Voit.  Never knew Bird had so many fans.

That excuse is lame. Wash rinse repeat.

Like I mention last year. A Yankee fan wants both to succeed, not the player he owns in fantasy 

Do you remember your darling from last year Miguel Andujar 

Edited by shakestreet
4 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I knew there would be one guy who brought up Ellsbury - you were that guy.  It’s not at all applicable, as another poster already mentioned.  Though I think you already knew that.

It is applicable when the post I was responding to's point was that Hicks is gaurenteed playing time because of his contract.

Edited by 2Balls1Bat
1 minute ago, 2Balls1Bat said:

It is applicable when the post I was responding to's point was that Hicks is gaurenteed playing time because of his contract.

No, it isn’t applicable for the reason provided by the OP: if we were talking about Ellsbury or A-Rod(!?) in Year One of their brand new contract - really, Day One, in this case - they would assuredly be playing.

In any event, I’m done with this derail.

Just now, BMcP said:

No, it isn’t applicable for the reason provided by the OP: if we were talking about Ellsbury or A-Rod(!?) in Year One of their brand new contract - really, Day One, in this case - they would assuredly be playing.

In any event, I’m done with this derail.

And that point is also moot because Hicks isn't making nearly as much money as either of them nor was ever as good as either of them when they signed their contracts.

3 hours ago, Turkey Burgers said:

By the same token, if Bird beats up on Orioles and Tigers pitching -- as he should -- you might get duped into thinking you have something.

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

By the same token, if Bird beats up on Orioles and Tigers pitching -- as he should -- you might get duped into thinking you have something.

Which starters should we actually fear Bird’s facing in the AL East?  Maybe less than a handful?

1 hour ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Yeah, granted.   But, how duped can you really feel experimenting with your last roster spot?  I already have Voit, and simply want to possess both long enough to determine which settles in as the regular NYY 1B.  I am certainly not counting on Bird to anchor my team.   But I do still wonder if there remains a tiny little window of opportunity for this guy to make good on some of last year’s hype.  Plenty of smart people were convinced he had 40 HR upside playing in that stadium.

5 hours ago, shakestreet said:

That excuse is lame. Wash rinse repeat.

Like I mention last year. A Yankee fan wants both to succeed, not the player he owns in fantasy 

Do you remember your darling from last year Miguel Andujar 

This thread isn't just for some Yankee fans.  It is about fantasy baseball owners and drafters.  And it IS all about your fantasy teams; not your "home" teams.  As a Red Sox fan I want the Yankees I own to succeed.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

This thread isn't just for some Yankee fans.  It is about fantasy baseball owners and drafters.  And it IS all about your fantasy teams; not your "home" teams.  As a Red Sox fan I want the Yankees I own to succeed.

I agree. I qouted a Yankee fan, but I understand your point, you own Voit, so you want Bird to fail, so he can be sent down to AAA. 

2 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

I agree. I qouted a Yankee fan, but I understand your point, you own Voit, so you want Bird to fail, so he can be sent down to AAA. 

I've owned Bird in the past and could still pick him up in a couple of my dynasty leagues if I wanted.  No one seems to want him and these two leagues are 16 team full blown dynasty with 10 slots for prospects etc and extremely competitive with some hardcore owners so it just isn't me.  Neither they or I think he is worth the pick-up.  Voit I do.  It's about who I think will succeed and who I don't think will.  I own Voit in a couple league not because I want Bird to fail but because I think he will fail.  That is a big difference.

18 hours ago, MrBrown said:

I don't think the Bird love has anything to do with Voit. Voit literally just came into the picture. People have been betting on Bird for two seasons now, and they want to eventually nail it, so they keep drafting him. Of course, he likely will still suck. I hope I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, jspeco9 said:

I don't think the Bird love has anything to do with Voit. Voit literally just came into the picture. People have been betting on Bird for two seasons now, and they want to eventually nail it, so they keep drafting him. Of course, he likely will still suck. I hope I'm wrong.

Yep, but this is actually the 3rd season, as there was a sizable contingent betting on Bird when Judge broke through. I grabbed him as soon as one of my guys hit the IL today. Bird has the tools to do something. He just needs what has been elusive to him over these past few years: opportunity, health, and the mental toughness to seize this opportunity with both hands. Will it work out for him? Probably not, but he is a big free lotto ticket.