NBC Sports Edge Forums

Greg Bird 2019 Outlook

1 hour ago, jspeco9 said:

I don't think the Bird love has anything to do with Voit. Voit literally just came into the picture. People have been betting on Bird for two seasons now, and they want to eventually nail it, so they keep drafting him. Of course, he likely will still suck. I hope I'm wrong.

Price is cheaper than ever though. Feel like he was worth the risk at the spot drafted in this year, after pick 200, even closer to 300 usually.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Followed by: Bird to be shut down for a few days Bird to begin the year on the Injured List Bird to get a cortisone injection Bird hopeful to return by All Star break Bird to

Scranton Wilkes-Barre RailRiders waiting for Bird like  

I don’t think it’s quite the “Period” situation you’re making it out to be.  Judge for yourself based on Cashman’s comments from a couple of weeks ago:   ”My gut is, although I'm not calling

3 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Price is cheaper than ever though. Feel like he was worth the risk at the spot drafted in this year, after pick 200, even closer to 300 usually.

Oh yeah definitely this is the year to gamble on him based on his price. Though Voit already made a loud entrance so we'll see what happens. I hope they both rake and we see both in the lineup. But I wouldn't bet on Bird.

Bird was in mid-season form with 3Ks and a rather sloppy play at first until he hit the 1 HR late on a bad, hanging breaking ball.  Granted one of the Ks came on a pitch that was clearly a half a foot outside, but that is besides the point.  And it is not like he crushed the ball, but did get enough of it to get it out of the park.  I would not read much into the HR at this point obviously.  

Just now, jfazz23 said:

big time.  i think he gets sent down when hicks/stanton are back. 

Hard to argue against it at this point.  I've long been a Bird apologist, but it's impossible to defend him right now.  He's striking out left and right, and making mental errors in the field as well.  This may very well be his last real opportunity with the Yankees and he's blowing it in a big way.  It's disappointing for sure. 

3 hours ago, secretagentman said:

A better question is why he starts over Wade or Tauchman?  Put Voit at 1b and start one of the other two at DH.

It may be hard to believe but Tyler Wade is a far worse hitter.  Having him DH would be insanity.  Tauchman maybe but there's problems with that and not sure he could be better than Bird or not.

LOL, I remember last season when a lot of folks were still defending him but I think its becoming pretty clear there is nothing left to defend. That game last night which I witnessed was JUST the worst possible performance BIRD could achieve, not only 4K which were awful but then also a play defensively which resulted in losing the game(more or less).

23 minutes ago, DJSatane said:

LOL, I remember last season when a lot of folks were still defending him but I think its becoming pretty clear there is nothing left to defend. That game last night which I witnessed was JUST the worst possible performance BIRD could achieve, not only 4K which were awful but then also a play defensively which resulted in losing the game(more or less).

ya, that grounder was well placed but birds defense doesnt redeem him.  he basically has a couple of weeks to start hitting or hes in AAA when hicks comes back.  no way im keeping Bird over Frazier at this point